• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Holiday Art Contest! Accept no imitations! Final judging up!

Re: Holiday Art Contest! Accept no imitations! VOTING HAS STARTED!

I vote for mine cause it's the best!

Voting for Danni's.

The boy with the candy cane looks kinda anorexic, and the Spheal doesn't have any little white spots.
Other than that, I like it. The expressions are nice, and it looks...happy in there.

By the way, why is the Charmander purple?

EeveeSkitty's appears to have been deleted. :/

ES, what happened there?

Voting for Vladimir
Garhghr I love this :> I don't really have anything very constuctive to say. I love the colours and the clothes, and the shading... the tree is great, too. My only real nitpick is the wallpaper, it might've been better if it was just left blank.

Last edited:

Then you at least need to make your praise more fleshed-out, or else your vote doesn't count. What exactly do you like about it, what's your favorite part, etc..

Editted it a bit.

I vote for Dannichu.

One thing that I see is the mantle above the fireplace. It looks like a side-view at first, but there are things on it, making it contradict itself. Although that might be a problem of not seeing either side of it.
Other than that, I don't see muck of anything wrong. Good job.

Oh my God this is hard >< I love all the entries, but from an artistic point of view, I think I'll go for VPLJ's, too; the details on the clothing are excellent and the anatomy is overall very good. The colours are bright and happy and it overall is very Christmassy.
The colouring and details on the tree could be better; it looks spiny, but it's somewhat lacking in branches and real 3-d-ness. The cushion of the stool also kinda looks like it's rising up to meet the heel, rather than the heel pressing down on it. And the eyes are looking somewhere vaguely off the page; it'd be a bit more effective if he were looking at the viewer.

...yus.

@ Blastoise: It's not a Charmander; it's Salamander's persona-thingy (at least the one we gave her). I just draw all lizards like Charmanders X)

I vote for Dannichu.

Dannichu's is so colourful and detailed and pretty but the spheal looks like it doesn't have back legs or something like that. I think it's Darksong at the very left with the witchy hat, the hands are sort of bending back unnaturally like she is double jointed. I have no idea what the purple/pink thing on Umbreon is.

What about your picture, ES? What happened to it? If you were going to delete it you should've provided another entry right away. I'm fairly sure you didn't get around to replacing it, so if you want to stay in the contest then please put that picture back up and give me the new link to it (since it won't be the same).

Voting for PichuK's.
Simply because it looks amazing. Using other Pokemon as a christmas tree is an original idea, aswell.

@ES: The purpleish pink thing is an ornament - Kai the Umbreon is handing it to... um, whoever is standing on a ladder in a Santa hat.
@everyone else: Dannichu's is awesome. My only nitpicks are that you forgot the leg rings on Kai and the guy eating the candy cane's face looks blobby.

Such a hard choice between PichuK's (so original) and Danni's, but... I'm going to go with Dannichu, because hers is just so wonderfully bright and festive. Only issues I have are, I'm not sure what it is but your Pichu anatomy is a little wonky somewhere (the back leg, maybe?), and the girl on the left (I'm sorry, I can't tell who it is!) has her arms looking like they're twisted in a rather painful way, or just aren't long enough, not sure which. But awesome job on the skirt's folds. Lastly... whoa, I'm purple now. :D

Okay, I'm going to try and give some crits on my top three pictures.

PichuK: I like the effects you've used on the colouring here, particularly on the Delibird's white parts and the Abomasnow's green, although the fairly simple lines you've used for the mouths and eyes look a bit out of place with the more intricate colouring. Particularly when there aren't any black outlines to speak of on the rest of the picture. Overall though, it's very cute and I like the poses you've used for the Pokemon.

Danni: Eee~ It's so cute. X3 And you've put a lot of effort into colouring; it shows on the individual branches of the tree and even the background has colour. There's a couple of things I'd mention, though - the glow from the fire that you've used is a bit patchy, falling on some things really heavily (for example your right shoulder, which looks a bit odd seeing as it's also quite green...) and others quite lightly, even though they're closer to it (for example Krato's trousers). The fire itself also doesn't look all that... firey. It looks more solid than the liquidy quality fire has. I do really like the amount of detail you've put on each person, though - you could have just given them one feature or item to define them each, but you've gone further with that and it shows. I do love this, although I think I'm going to go with VPLJ's for the artistic skills used and such.

VPLJ: Hurr, having finally seen Rocky Horror I find this waaay too cool. That aside, though, it's an - interesting - idea, and there's obviously been a lot of effort on the little details and the background. A few minor issues, though - there's the thing about the seat of the chair that I believe Dannichu aready mentioned, where it looks more like the material of the chair is sticking to the shoe and being dragged up rather than being pushed down by the weight of the leg. Secondly, and I'm not sure if this is just me, but his left leg looks a little off. It looks a bit shorter than the one on the chair, possibly due to the placement of the knee - could be a little too far down the leg, that's all. Finally, the wallpaper does look a little scribbly, as someone already said, and it's also a little difficult to see how the dishes holding the candles are attached to the trees. Overall, though, I really like this one.

Voting for VPLJ.

*hugs Kinova* That's the spirit!

You guys only have the rest of today to vote, you know, so I suggest you get off your bottoms and speak up. Of course, seeing as it looks like there are only three entries that have been voted for I think I may only end up having to move those three on instead of the top five, hm. :/ Unless anyone has anything else they'd like to say about another entry? C'mon, they all have their great points.

If I'm allowed to vote, I vote for Mewtwo's for being cute.

Ugg...I'm not sure where my picture went :|

Well I guess I won't bother entering...

Had you read the rules on voting, Shiny Spoink, you would know that yes, you can vote. You would also know that that sort of vote is not what I'm looking for, so I'm afraid I can't count it.

Okay, so voting is now closed. Since it looks like only three pictures had valid votes (please, correct me if I missed something), Dannichu, PichuK and Vladimir Putin's LJ will be the only ones moving on to the final round. Congratulations to the three of you, and thanks to everyone else who entered--it's good to see that there's interest in this sort of thing. As I said, I will do my best to make sure that my final judging and the group critique will be up by the 26th.

Re: Holiday Art Contest! Accept no imitations! Judging up soon!

0.0 I had a vote! But it wasn't valid!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*o's go on forever*

Back
Top Bottom