• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

How did you become a Pokémon fan?

Re: How did you become a Pokémon fan?

Watched the Anime when it aired here and wanted to get one of the games after my brother got Red for christmas one year. I didn't get my own game until Sapphire came out though :(

Although my brother did let me play his Yellow after he got Gold, and also downloaded a half Japanese Silver rom for me where Skarmory was called Wooper and the book in the week siblings' house was a diary about someone's suicidal thoughts if I recall correctly.

(SMTV Live for the win)
I remember when Ant and Dec were arguing over how Pokémon was pronounced, and once they settled it they showed the episode where he gets Bulbasaur. In the first few seconds Brock said it the "wrong" way and they stopped the show to argue some more. Those were good times.

Last edited:

Old Kirby Tilt n' Tumble game broke and made it impossible to get past the very first part of the first level. I took it in to get it repaired, but they offered to exchange it for another game instead. So I decided to do that that and got Silver, my first Pokémon game.

Watched the anime, got bored of it, got sapphire many years later. I didn't know red and blue existed; I thought ruby and sapphire were the first ones.

Oh my, I remember that ant and dec thing. WONKY DONKEY ftw.

Like many, I one time flipped to the anime when I was like 7 or 8 or something. I remembered thinking the creatures were fascinating and I wanted to draw them. Then I got hooked and in 2000 bought my first game, Silver. Since then, I've watched the anime on and off and gotten all the newer games. Although there was a brief period where I tried to give it up because I thought it was too "kiddy." I threw out all my Pokemon stuff and I really regret that.

Last edited:

Like most, my real love for it started with the anime, but it was at a friend's birthday party in 2000 when I saw that they got Gold version and I played it a bit, and loved it. Then I started watching the show. In 2003, I got my first game, Ruby version. And from there, the rest is history.

First played Yellow when I was six, then watched the anime. I got Sapphire four years later. I then took a six-year hiatus, but now I'm back with Soul Silver.

I heard about it from the old-school commercials that were on TV for Red and Blue; kids at school were talking about it, and my cousin got Blue version for her birthday. I remember for a while you could get little Pokemon cutout card things on the backs of Lunchables, and I'd always save my Lunchables box so I could take it home and cut the cards out. :>

Then at some point my parents let me buy a video game to keep me busy on a road trip. I picked Red version, started with Bulbasaur, and played it so much the first night that my Gameboy overheated from the A/C adapter.

Edit: incidentally, I didn't see the show until I had been a fan of the games for a while. It actually kind of shattered my dreams. I always thought my Pokemon could talk. :'(

i count myself as sorta a pokemon fan because i play the games... pokemon hgss rocks the nds planet! 8D

When I was three between my two brothers there were 4 gameboys two reds one yellow and five blues. I somehow ended up with a gameboy and a blue been a fan since.:sunglasses:

I got Red and a gameboy for Christmas. Quickly went to silver/gold, then bought diamond. played 3rd gen on my DS. It was that present that introduced five years of pokemon to me, and I've been a fan ever since.

Not quite sure...all I know is that when I was five I had a yellow gameboy. Don't know if it was colour, lost it in a grocery store =( And when I got my new GBA I also had Crystal, because my friend had Gold. And since then I've been buying each new game. (Though when I get one I somehow end up getting the other two, unlessit's a remake. What the heck.)

Bought Red, never looked back.

Even when I was in Secondary School. (Because for some reason, Pokemon in Secondary School isn't cool)

Once upon a time, a beautiful, young, single woman became the mother of a crazy-ass ADD baby. It was tedious work. One day, when the child was a two-year-old, the mother thought, oh my fucken gawd i need sum fucken sleep rite fucken noaw 8|. But first she needed to keep her lovely crazy-ass daughter entertained. So, the mother turned on the TV and saw a show with a cute, pink, balloon-resembling creature which happily squealed "Jigglypuff!" The toddler stared at the screen intently, mouth wide open and the mother gracefully passed out on the couch.
The End

And now, almost twelve years later, she wonders why the hell I still love Pokemon.

One of my brother's buddies from 3rd grade gave him pokemon red (which for some reason wouldn't save.) and I just sat behind his shoulder and watched him play.
*cue montage music playing over 1 month.*
My half brother had an N64, and had Pokemon stadium, I only played it for a little while before yelling "This game is dumb! It stinks!".
Skip ahead 3 years...
My buddies were into the cards and the games, and one of them left his pokemon sapphire over one day, so I wondered what it was (I have really bad memory.), and huzzah, hooked.

I was four and it was the heart of the fad. My brother was somewhat into it and my sister hardcore was. I really did not have a choice. My first game was Red. I sucked at it because I was four, but by age 5 I was... decent.

Taught me how to read a bunch of words so that's good.

Got Emerald and a GBA Micro cos everyone was laughting at me for not knowing Pokémon. Years later and people are asking Me about Pokémon.

What comes around, goes around, I suppose

I was 5. I had just gotten a GBC for Christmas, but no games. So my parents take me to the local Funcoland (a game store, I don't think they're around anymore) to pick up a few games. A game with a bright orange bird on the box caught my attention, and I picked it up. And Gold became my first Pokemon game.

I still have that same cartridge to this day. But it doesn't hold a save anymore :( (damn internal battery...)

Hated everything about it at first my grandma baught me a blue version and i liked the games from there. I still kinda dislike the anime though.

Back
Top Bottom