• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

How do you pronounce 2010?

Murkrow

Says "also" and "or something" a lot
Pronoun
he
Twenty-ten?
Two thousand (and) ten?
Two zero one zero?

Twenty-ten seems better in my opinion since it's easier to say and we will eventually start saying it like that by the 2100s anyway. I'll probably end up saying it the long way, since I'm used to it like that. Also I like to say things more properly anyway.
When I say it the long way, I say it with the 'and'. I dislike it when it's dropped but that's probably just the way I was taught.

I'll be saying twenty-twenty though, and probably each decade after that.

Last edited:
Re: How do you/will you pronounce 2010?

probably twenty-ten

not entirely sure

Last edited:

Two thousand and ten. That's how rponounced it when I read the thread title in my head.

Two thousand and ten, but I pronounce it more like "Twothousanenten." Maybe it's a Midwestern accent thing.

Oh, whoops oblivious Flora

edited

well we were doing okay up until 1999 with saying two numbers, e.g. "nineteen-seventy-three" (1973). the 2000s (I utterly refuse to call it the "noughties" on account of that being a fucking retarded name) kind of buggered things up a little. saying stuff like "twenty-three" (2003) was just too confusing so I guess everyone went with saying the full number.

I'll call it "twenty-ten" because that sounds easiest I guess.

I'll probably say twenty-ten because my friends keep correcting me whenever I say two-thousand and ten. But-randomly-it would be weird to say twenty-thirty.

Two thousand and ten, but I pronounce it more like "Twothousanenten." Maybe it's a Midwestern accent thing.
I guess I do this too, but the way I say it still has a hint of a D in there.

(I utterly refuse to call it the "noughties" on account of that being a fucking retarded name)

I do like the sound of the word 'noughties', but I agree that it's a bit stupid, it isn't very fitting for something as important as a name of a decade.

Speaking of which, are the 10s called the 'tens' or the 'teens' or what? I suppose 'tens' which we'll probably be used to eventually but it sounds odd to me at the moment (although in a different way to noughties).

I've been saying twenty-ten.

As in, CLASS OF 2010 SEN10RS OLOLOLOLO

eta: what the hell are they going to call 2000-2009 anyway?

Last edited:

Speaking of which, are the 10s called the 'tens' or the 'teens' or what? I suppose 'tens' which we'll probably be used to eventually but it sounds odd to me at the moment (although in a different way to noughties).
This reminds me of something.

What do you call the 1910s?

This reminds me of something.

What do you call the 1910s?

I don't know; I was originally going to write "will the 2010s be called the 'tens' or the 'teens' or what?" but then changed it since the 1910s also have a name.

The 00s in the 20th century were called the nineteen-hundreds weren't they? Then I'd call the 1910s the nineteen tens. Unless the 2010s go by a different name, in which case I'd call them the nineteen-whatevers. I've never needed to refer to that decade before so it's never really come up.

I don't know; I was originally going to write "will the 2010s be called the 'tens' or the 'teens' or what?" but then changed it since the 1910s also have a name.

The 00s in the 20th century were called the nineteen-hundreds weren't they? Then I'd call the 1910s the nineteen tens. Unless the 2010s go by a different name, in which case I'd call them the nineteen-whatevers. I've never needed to refer to that decade before so it's never really come up.
I always interpreted "ninteen-hundreds" as meaning the entire 20th century. Most of the time when I've seen people referencing the first decade of the century, they just call it "the early 20th century".

I've heard 1900-1910 be referred to as 'the turn of the century', but that's uncool (what about that other turn of the century?). 1910s are just the nineteen-tens, I suppose.

Noughties is a horrible name, I'm sorry. I like 'the early 2000s'. 2010-2020 can be the teens~

Twenty-ten. For some reason I keep wanting to say twenty-o-ten, even though it makes no sense.

I always interpreted "ninteen-hundreds" as meaning the entire 20th century. Most of the time when I've seen people referencing the first decade of the century, they just call it "the early 20th century".

I guess, but '2000s' could also refer to the whole century/millennium if you wanted it to, which is why I think 00s should be given a name. Noughties does the job, as ridiculous as it may sound. Although I think "oh-ohs" is used too.

TWENTY TEN AND I WILL PUNCH ANYONE WHO SAYS TWO THOUSAND AND TEN

Back
Top Bottom