• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

How do you pronounce 2010?

I say two thousand and ten. I pronounce 2012 that way as well, but everything later is pronounced like twenty eleven.

I haven't really said it much, but it'll likely be "twenty-ten" or "two thousand and ten".

"Two thousand ten", far be it from me to judge, sounds beyond silly (sillier than "noughties", even!) and I'll never understand the need to remove a perfectly good, sense-making "and" from a sentence.

Re: How do you/will you pronounce 2010?

Two thousand ten.

Just like I've always said years.

I say all four-digit numbers like that. I tend to alternate between 'Two thousand ten' and 'Twenty ten', I guess it depends who I'm talking to.

I haven't really said it much, but it'll likely be "twenty-ten" or "two thousand and ten".

"Two thousand ten", far be it from me to judge, sounds beyond silly (sillier than "noughties", even!) and I'll never understand the need to remove a perfectly good, sense-making "and" from a sentence.

I think it's not that they're removing an and, just that many don't really even think to put in an and because they're just following the same naming pattern they've lived with their whole lives. ie, you don't say, "nineteen thousand and ninety seven," you say, "nineteen ninety seven." So, they just think, "nineteen ninety eight, nineteen ninety nine, two thousand, two thousand one, ttwo thousand two."

They've never put an and before so they wouldn't think to do now.

I usually say two thousand and ten, but occasionally I use twenty-ten if people around me are saying it. Saying two thousand and ten just sounds more natural to me I guess.

I call the last decade the 2000s, because the noughties just sounds weird.

Two thousand and ten sounds a little weird imo. It's like referring to the year 1999 as "one thousand nine hundred and ninety nine" only not quite such a pain in the arse to say.

Two thousand and ten. =] Straight to the point. Though my Psychology teacher mentioned calling it the tenties or something. Idk.

I have decided - I will call the year, simply, "ten."

In the words of the fantastically brilliant Douglas Coupland: "It would make us feel less tethered to some other era's notion of time. The 20 thing is baggage."

Plus, when asked what year I was born in, I say "eighty-nine" (or, depending on who's asking, "sod off and mind your own business"), but never really thought about doing it to the "two thousand and"s. So "ten" it is.

I call it "Two thousand and Ten" I pronounce it "twothousanten".
Twothousan, twothousanone, twothousantwo, twothousanthree, twothousanfour, twothousanfive, twothousansix, twothousanseven, twothousaneight, twothousanine, twothousanten, twothousaneleven, twothousantwelve. I see no reason to change my pronunciation of it.

I think it's not that they're removing an and, just that many don't really even think to put in an and because they're just following the same naming pattern they've lived with their whole lives. ie, you don't say, "nineteen thousand and ninety seven," you say, "nineteen ninety seven." So, they just think, "nineteen ninety eight, nineteen ninety nine, two thousand, two thousand one, ttwo thousand two."

They've never put an and before so they wouldn't think to do now.

Doesn't make it sound any less silly, though.

That's a funny thing to call the year 19097 though :P

"nineteen-thousand and ninety seven," means 1997. One hundred and one means 101. Five hundred and forty seven means 547.

EDIT: Ack, fail. Sorry. "nineteen-thousand and ninety seven," does mean 19097. I think my original post should have read, "you don't say, 'nineteen hundred and ninety seven,' you say, 'nineteen ninety seven.'"

EDIT: Ack, fail. Sorry. "nineteen-thousand and ninety seven," does mean 19097. I think my original post should have read, "you don't say, 'nineteen hundred and ninety seven,' you say, 'nineteen ninety seven.'"

I thought as much too, but then I spotted an opportunity to be pedantic. But still, following that I think you'd call 1997 "nineteen hundred ninety-seven", not "nineteen ninety-seven".

Right, that's my point. Regardless of whether "nineteen hundred ninety seven," is correct or not, no one ever says it like that, opting for "nineteen ninety-seven," instead. From which it follows that people would naturally say "two thousand ten," or "twenty ten."

Back
Top Bottom