• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

If you could live in any historical period, what would it be?

When would you like to live, if able?

• Total voters
I'd prefer to stay in the present, but if I had to choose, I'd say the 1990's. I'm boring like that.

where is the 1960s and 1970s on that poll !!!!

I would have LOVED to live in 60s and 70s Britain. :B In fact this year our school started a history course for 1960s Britain and I freaking jumped at the chance and I completely outnerd myself in it all the time lmao

I was born 40 years too late :( my friends even say I'm a walking timewarp rofl

Eh, I felt that if I put those on then I'd be compelled to put other decade-marks and make the poll huge, it's just a general guideline. In fact, it'd be fine to think of any date on there meaning that general eras. For example, the 1950s option could mean anywhere between 1930 and 1970

The present.
Why not Russia under Stalin's regime? Since he's your hero and all.

I'm not sure, it depends on whether I'd keep my current status and what country I'd be in and stuff. I think I'd be a decent 1870s-1880s man, especially if I kept my class and things. I could probably get into Oxford or Cambridge quite easily (with my money powers) and then push off and live in France (because of raging faggotry issues that could cause problems in England ):) and try to get into accounting or painting or something.

Or the 60s-70s London or New York or Paris because of the awesome scene and the great artists I could stalk.

and yeah the future would be pretty cool.

oh oh oh and I'd like to visit (just visit) any time between 0 and 33 CE Jerusalem to see if Jesus existed and if yes if he'd like to chill out.

oh oh oh and I'd like to visit (just visit) any time between 0 and 33 CE Jerusalem to see if Jesus existed and if yes if he'd like to chill out.

You'd be hard-pushed to find a decent historian that denies that Jesus existed; the Son of God thing is up for dispute, but the guy was almost definitely there.

Aaaaah the 1960s history GCSE course is horrendous DX
Learning about the 60s is cool, but having to write a massive essay on what one woman said about the Beatles is not.

I hate source-based coursework ><

Eh, 1960s coursework wasn't that bad tbh.

I would live in the 50's.
Then I would have TV and electricity but I could still predict what would happen and wow everyone.
I actually had a dream about this once. It was awesome. :D

You'd be hard-pushed to find a decent historian that denies that Jesus existed; the Son of God thing is up for dispute, but the guy was almost definitely there.
The only evidence we have is the Bible. While I do agree that it's possible he existed, I don't think it's enough to be certain.
There were some very important Philosophers who lived around the time Jesus was supposedly there and they never mention anything out of the ordinary, though you'd think something like that would attract attention :v

I like to imagine Jesus' life was exactly like what happened in Life of Brian.

I'd like to relive the 1990s. Alternatively, it might be neat to see the 1950s or 1980s in the US, or to see the empire of the Mayas in the 600s... Though, really, anything before about 1750, I'd likely go bonkers what with all the stuff that hadn't yet been invented... Even in the Victorian era, though, all that formality... Ugh.

hey c'mon where's the medieval love you're all choosing industrial revolution onwards time periods I mean seriously what about the Vikings and the Tudors people especially the Vikings no one seems to care for them anymore really

I'd live in the 800s to rape and pillage with my Viking homies

I mean yes the lack of technology would someday drive me up the sheep-wool-dipped-in-seal-fat tent walls but still raping and pillaging with real, honest-to-god Vikings

I don't think I could live in another time period if I remembered the future (Now), but I think that if I could just be born in that time, knowing nothing but that time, even then I'd go with my choice. I have nothing against the Middle Ages, but I was just thinking about it, and I thought about how it would not be as cool as it would seem. I mean, plagues, darkness, war, crappy living conditions, life expectancy of 35, etc. I don't think, upon reflection, that it would be very fun.

I could probably go with the Renaissance, though.

I answered this at another forum recently, and there we approached it as two questions to make it a bit easier:

If you could go back to any time period without the possibility of return, where would you go? Any time from 1946-1990 works for me. From the end of the war, though the Cold War, and I rather like the music. And really, who doesn't want to relive the 1990s?

If you could be born in any time period, when? 1960s or so. Lot of interesting stuff happening in the States, you ask me. A child of the late baby boom, growing up through the uncertainty of the 1970s, and then living the wonderous 80s and 90s.
Another neat setting for me would be Ming Dynasty China. Pretty much the height of Chinese imperial power. Close to everyone in China lived better than her neighbor's. All-in-all, a period that has interested me.

However, there's a second dimension to the second question. If born before day, the mid-1800s, statistically, you have a great chance of well, being born into poor circumstances and living a crappy life. :P

What if you could choose the circumstances of your birth? An aristocrat, 19th century. Or maybe a capitalist later in the 19th century.

hey c'mon where's the medieval love you're all choosing industrial revolution onwards time periods I mean seriously what about the Vikings and the Tudors people especially the Vikings no one seems to care for them anymore really

I'd live in the 800s to rape and pillage with my Viking homies

I mean yes the lack of technology would someday drive me up the sheep-wool-dipped-in-seal-fat tent walls but still raping and pillaging with real, honest-to-god Vikings

I already said that. Jerk. Look up. D:

I already said that. Jerk. Look up. D:

Not exactly. You just spoke briefly about living in Roman or Viking times, whilst I griped about the lack of love for the medieval period, stated the fact that I would like to live with the Vikings, pondered about going mad due to the lack of technology and then talked a small bit about the potential sexual violation and thieving tendencies of the group of people I'd be with and about how they'd be real and not the re-enactment group variety.

Also calling me a jerk is uncalled for. D:

the fact stands that I love vikings despite your assertion that no one seems to care for them :O

the fact stands that I love vikings despite your assertion that no one seems to care for them :O

You never said that you loved Vikings! That changes everything!

Ladies and gentlemen. I would like to provide an amendment to my previous statement about no love for the medieval period. There is no love for it on this forum except from me and Dezzuu, to my knowledge.

Happy now? or do we have to go rape and pillage?

Hrm, there's a problem with this poll. There are quite a few time periods I wouldn't mind visiting or living in for a few weeks, but almost none that I'd actually want to be stuck in. No medical knowledge or electricity ftl. D:

First off, 1920s-1930s. No particular region, I'd just like to travel around. I'd get to see the great empires of the world in their twilight era, board an airship to America, visit Germany before it gets pwnt by the Nazis.

Growing up in the 1980s sounds good as well. You'd be at the golden era of the gaming industry, and you'd get to experience all the awesome games when they first came out. 'course, that's just the nerd in me talking. :P

The 1500-1700s would also be interesting to visit, what with the European discovery of the New World and all. It'd suck dying from cholera or whatever, though. D:

First off, 1920s-1930s. No particular region, I'd just like to travel around. I'd get to see the great empires of the world in their twilight era, board an airship to America, visit Germany before it gets pwnt by the Nazis.
You only really have the twenties since the Nazis came to power in 1933.

Back
Top Bottom