• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

IndigoEmmy vs myuma

@myuma: could you clarify, did you want Silke to use Taunt before or after Floof bounces back down?

Normally I wouldn't do this, but since it's the first battle for both of you I wanted to give you a heads up: Taunt will likely not be successful while Floof is still up in the air, just like in the games. I probably should've put something in Floof's status indicating that she's still bounced up.

I completely forgot that Floof was in the air, thanks for reminding me. Can I revise the move order to

Cotton Guard ~ Taunt ~ Giga Drain

Round Five

IndigoEmmy (2/3 left)
buneary
Floof
Ability: Run Away
Health: 98%
Energy: 88%
Status: Heart hammering! This is exciting but man was that close. Leech seeded (1% health/action). Currently Bounced up.

myuma (3/3 left)
cottonee
Silke
Ability: Prankster
Health: 76%
Energy: 87%
Status: A bit frustrated with how things are going. Burned (mild, 2% health/round, 0.75x base power for physical attacks).

solosis Konani, 70%H/40%E, 0 direct heals left

------------------------------​

Having lost track of Floof up in the rafters, Silke decides to pay more attention to herself. She looks at her fluffy cotton leaves (getting dirty as the battle wears on, oh no - why does cotton have to pick up anything and everything?) and summons up even more fluffy cotton until all you can see through her cotton shield is her eyes. She feels cozy... Up above, Floof is gearing herself up. She has fire in her eyes and a wicked smile and her paw bursts into crackling flame as she closes it into a fist. With a wild cry, Floof smashes down from the ceiling, fire cascading all around her. The audience ooooh's in amazed appreciation. But as impressive as the spectacle was. she... misses.

Silke is too shocked for a moment to react in any way at all. All of that fire, so close to burning her precious cotton. But instead of letting her fear show, she looses a cruel taunt instead. Ha! she cries. You missed! How foolish!

Floof is perched on the floor, panting with exertion and trying to figure out where she went wrong. She hears Silke's jab; her ears jerk sharply towards the Cottonee and she's back on her feet in a moment, launching herself at the grass Pokemon, flailing her fists and claws wildly at Silke without any regard for her previous plans. Silke takes advantage of the Buneary's closeness to jolt her with a Giga Drain, feeling some precious life force leech back into her as she does so.

IndigoEmmy (2/3 left)
buneary
Floof
Health: 85%
Energy: 76%
Status: Angry! How dare Silke insult her for her grand move?! Leech seeded (1% health/action). Taunted (2 more actions).
Used: Bounce + Fire Punch (missed) ~ Struggle

myuma (3/3 left)
cottonee
Silke
Health: 79%
Status: Despairing over the state of her cotton. Burned (mild, 2% health/round, 0.75x base power for physical attacks). +3 Defense.
Used: Cotton Guard ~ Taunt ~ Giga Drain

solosis Konani, 70%H/40%E, 0/1 Direct heals left

Arena Status
  • There is a long gash in the roof of the dojo. Boards and debris now litter the floor.
  • The intense sun is shining straight through the gash into everyone's eyes. (4 more actions).

Damage and Energy
  • Floof's Health: 98% - 1% (Struggle) - 9% (Giga Drain) - 3% (Leech Seed) = 85%
  • Floof's Energy: 88% - 9% (Bounce + Fire Punch) - 3% (Struggle) = 76%
  • Silke's Health: 76% - 2% (Struggle) + 4% (Giga Drain) + 3% (Leech Seed) = 2% (burn) = 79%
  • Silke's Energy: 87% - 3% (Cotton Guard) - 4% (Taunt) - 4% (Giga Drain) = 76%

Notes
  • Speed order: Floof (85) > Silke (66).
  • I think it's hard enough for a Pokémon to accurately bounce down on a target (hence Bounce only having 85% accuracy) without also trying to contort to punch the target while they're doing it, so I treated Bounce + Fire Punch as a 150 BP Fire-type move with 70% accuracy. Unfortunately, Floof missed the accuracy roll.
  • Floof didn't have any alternate attacking moves commanded for the third action, so she used Struggle instead.
  • Note from Eifie: Heads up for the future, you're always free to ask me before posting your commands how a combo would work. The best way to order a combo is to be a bit detailed about how the Pokémon is meant to execute it; sometimes this might make a difference over the Pokémon trying to figure it out itself. In this case the only way I think it could've changed things is if Floof was ordered to like, bounce down headfirst so that she would be able to aim the punch more easily. Then it would've retained the 85% accuracy of Bounce but probably would've caused some recoil on impact.
  • Note from SS: the delays on these postings are 100% me, I've been procrastinating writing. Sorry! Gonna try to do these quicker :)
  • @myuma commands first.

Note from SS: the delays on these postings are 100% me, I've been procrastinating writing. Sorry! Gonna try to do these quicker :)
No problem!

---

Good... the taunt worked. Silke, get into the sunlight coming through the roof and use Solar Beam again - but first set up Tailwind so that you're up to speed with Floof. Next, we'll recover some of your lost HP with Giga Drain.

Tailwind ~ Solar Beam ~ Giga Drain

Bea said:
Argh! Fine then, let’s just destroy everything! Your skill is worthy of respect—and Gigantamaxing! Spamming Fire Punch

heheheh... I hope the audience doesn't mind it getting even hotter.
Use fire punch. If that fire punch fails, use fire punch, if that one fails, just spam fire punch.
JUST SPAM FIRE PUNCH!

Fire Punch ~ Fire Punch ~ Fire Punch

Round Six

IndigoEmmy (2/3 left)
buneary
Floof
Health: 85%
Status: Angry! How dare Silke insult her for her grand move?! Leech seeded (1% health/action). Taunted (2 more actions).

myuma (3/3 left)
cottonee
Silke
Health: 79%
Status: Despairing over the state of her cotton. Burned (mild, 2% health/round, 0.75x base power for physical attacks). +3 Defense.

Silke inhales. She's got to do something about this fire, and she has to be fast. Quickly she whistles up a gentle breeze that wafts through the dojo; she feels faster, but now she's worried about the wind spreading the flames through her cotton. She has bigger problems, though, because Floof shrieks and blasts her with another fiery punch. The Buneary's paws are completely engulfed in flames, and the rage seems to burn through her eyes, too.

Silke backs off, charging her own attack. With the sunlight beating down into the room, she finds it faster and easier than ever before to charge her Solar Beam, and she looses it with a snarl. The beam of solar energy throws Floof back, but she recovers and slams another punch into Silke. As the Cottonee cries out, layers of cotton disintegrating into ash, Floof steps back. The insult and embarrassment she felt over Silke's cruel words are fading, and Floof stops to focus.

In the meantime, Silke shoots parasitic plant energy at Floof, sapping the Buneary's strength and restoring some of it to the Cottonee. Well, thinks Floof, she probably deserves just one more Fire Punch... Floof lashes out once more and then lets her paws rest, as Silke tries to extinguish her flames.

IndigoEmmy (2/3 left)
buneary
Floof
Health: 58%
Energy: 64%
Status: Feeling vindicated. Leech seeded (1% health/action).
Used: Fire Punch ~ Fire Punch ~ Fire Punch

myuma (3/3 left)
cottonee
Silke
Health: 57% 55%
Status: Stop, drop, roll; stop, drop, roll... Burned (mild, 2% health/round, 0.75x base power for physical attacks). Has a Tailwind (1 more action). +1 Defense.
Used: Tailwind ~ Solar Beam ~ Giga Drain

Arena Status
  • There is a long gash in the roof of the dojo. Boards and debris now litter the floor.
  • The intense sun is shining straight through the gash into everyone's eyes. (1 more action).

Damage and Energy
  • Floof's Health: 85% - 15% (Solar Beam) - 9% (Giga Drain) - 3% (Leech Seed) = 58%
  • Floof's Energy: 76% - 4% (Fire Punch) - 4% (Fire Punch) - 4% (Fire Punch) = 64%
  • Silke's Health: 79% - 9% (Fire Punch) - 9% (Fire Punch) + 4% (Giga Drain) - 9% 11% (Fire Punch) - 2% (burn) + 3% (Leech Seed) = 57%
  • Silke's Energy: 76% - 4% (Tailwind) - 4% (Solar Beam) - 4% (Giga Drain)= 64%

Notes
  • Speed order: Silke (132) > Floof (85).
  • Cotton is pretty susceptible to like, burning... so I'm gonna say that for every 10% of Fire-type damage Silke takes, she'll lose a layer of her Cotton Guard. She lost one after the second action and one after the third, reducing her Defense boost at the end of the round to +1. She's taken 27% Fire-type damage total since putting up the Cotton Guard.
  • @IndigoEmmy commands first.

Last edited:
Eifie, I'm not saying your calculations are wrong, but shouldn't Silke have taken more damage from each Fire Punch after she lost a Cotton Guard layer? She takes 9% damage for both the second and third punch, even though her defense is now lower.

Also, noob question - does "one action" mean one move?

---

Hide behind a Substitute this time and get Floof confused. Hopefully it will be a while before she manages to land a hit. We only have one more chance to use Solar Beam in the sun - but if Sunny Day ends before you get a chance, use Giga Drain instead.

Solar Beam/Giga Drain ~ Substitute (20%) ~ Swagger

Eifie, I'm not saying your calculations are wrong, but shouldn't Silke have taken more damage from each Fire Punch after she lost a Cotton Guard layer? She takes 9% damage for both the second and third punch, even though her defense is now lower.

Uh, yeah, I'm very confused about what happened there because I swear I did the proper calculations with the lowered defense and then I guess I just... didn't write them down...? Thanks for pointing that out. I'll fix it when I get out of bed.

One action usually means one move from each Pokémon. (In some cases it is not exactly that, for example if a Pokémon skips an action because it just used a combo. It can also sometimes be used to mean just "one move" like in the context I just used it for to talk about a specific Pokémon skipping an action... I guess that might be a bit confusing because I don't know exactly how to articulate the difference?)

Also, sorry I never saw that you had both posted commands, I'll get on this today.

Uh, yeah, I'm very confused about what happened there because I swear I did the proper calculations with the lowered defense and then I guess I just... didn't write them down...? Thanks for pointing that out. I'll fix it when I get out of bed.

Fixed! The third fire punch did 11% instead of 9% damage, and Silke's total health is now 55%.

Round Seven

IndigoEmmy (2/3 left)
buneary
Floof
Health: 58%
Status: Feeling vindicated. Leech seeded (1% health/action).

myuma (3/3 left)
cottonee
Silke
Health: 55%
Status: Stop, drop, roll; stop, drop, roll... Burned (mild, 2% health/round, 0.75x base power for physical attacks). Has a Tailwind (1 more action). +1 Defense.

Silke focuses her attention away from her burning cotton for long enough to gather another blazing beam of sunlight and blasts it at Floof, who retaliates with yet another fiery punch. The last of Silke's cotton armor burns up along with it, and the Cottonee cries with dismay. At the same moment, the harsh sunlight outside fades and the gentle breeze dies down, and there's a strange moment of hushed silence within the heated battle.

Now it's Silke's turn to get creative with the materials around her; quickly she props up a few light pieces of wood, sticks some of her shed cotton to it, and ducks behind it just in time for it to take Floof's next Fire Punch, instead of her. Floof lets out a frustrated chirp, and Silke follows with laugh and a taunt. This is really going well for you! she laughs in her cottony voice, and Floof isn't sure whether to feel delight at her opponent complimenting her, or wary of some other scheme behind it. The words give her more energy and fire but - is this opponent a friend or foe now? While she's trying to figure it out, Floof accidentally scorches herself with her fiery paws instead of Silke.

IndigoEmmy (2/3 left)
buneary
Floof
Health: 34%
Energy: 54%
Status: Wait, what's happening? Leech seeded (1% health/action). Confused (severe, 35% failure chance). +2 Attack.
Used: Fire Punch ~ Fire Punch ~ [confused]

myuma (3/3 left)
cottonee
Silke
Health: 24%
Energy: 47%
Status: Feeling pretty tired. Burned (mild, 2% health/round, 0.75x base power for physical attacks). Has a Substitute (11%).
Used: Solar Beam ~ Substitute (20%) ~ Swagger

Arena Status

Damage and Energy
  • Floof's Health: 58% - 15% (Solar Beam) - 6% (confusion) - 3% (Leech Seed) = 34%
  • Floof's Energy: 64% - 4% (Fire Punch) - 4% (Fire Punch) - 2% (confusion) = 54%
  • Silke's Health: 55% - 12% (Fire Punch) - 20% (Substitute) - 2% (burn) + 3% (Leech Seed) = 24%
  • Silke's Substitute: 20% - 11% (Fire Punch) = 9%
  • Silke's Energy: 64% - 4% (Solar Beam) - 10% (Substitute) - 3% (Swagger) = 47%

Notes
  • The last of Silke's Cotton Guard was burned away after the first Fire Punch.
  • Sunny Day and Tailwind both ended after the first action.
  • I can't remember if damage a Pokémon inflicts on itself in confusion is supposed to count toward reducing the failure chance... I think it probably should, so that's what I've done here.
  • @myuma commands first.

Round Eight

IndigoEmmy (2/3 left)
buneary
Floof
Health: 34%
Energy: 54%
Status: Wait, what's happening? Leech seeded (1% health/action). Confused (severe, 35% failure chance). +2 Attack.

myuma (3/3 left)
cottonee
Silke
Health: 24%
Energy: 47%
Status: Feeling pretty tired. Burned (mild, 2% health/round, 0.75x base power for physical attacks). Has a Substitute (9%).

For good measure, Silke decides to sap just a bit more of Floof's health, but just as she shoots draining grass energy at the Buneary, Floof dashes out of the way, her natural fleeing tendencies kicking in. Pivoting on one paw, Floof strikes back with her fire fists, but instead of hitting Silke, she hits and completely destroys Silke's wooden-and-cotton figurine.

Facing each other now, both panting hard and wincing at their injuries, Floof lashes out once more with an exhausted cry. Silke has had enough and lets out a furious attack, screaming all the pain of her burn into it as she smashes into Floof. Silke is wimpering; Floof can hardly raise her paws, but her mind feels clear again.

IndigoEmmy (2/3 left)
buneary
Floof
Health: 8%
Energy: 44%
Status: Not feeling so good. Leech seeded (1% health/action).
Used: dodge ~ Fire Punch ~ Fire Punch

myuma (3/3 left)
cottonee
Silke
Health: 15%
Energy: 31%
Status: Her poor, poor cottony fluff. Burned (mild, 2% health/round, 0.75x base power for physical attacks).
Used: Giga Drain (missed) ~ Giga Drain ~ Facade

Arena Status

Damage and Energy
  • Floof's Health: 34% - 9% (Giga Drain) - 14% (Facade) - 3% (Leech Seed) = 8%
  • Floof's Energy: 54% - 2% (dodge) - 4% (Fire Punch) - 4% (Fire Punch) = 44%
  • Silke's Health: 24% + 4% (Giga Drain) - 14% (Fire Punch) - 2% (burn) + 3% (Leech Seed) = 15%
  • Silke's Substitute: 9% - 14% (Fire Punch) = 0%
  • Silke's Energy: 47% - 4% (Giga Drain) - 4% (Giga Drain) - 8% (Facade) = 31%

Notes
  • Last round I wrote that the Substitute had 11% health when it actually had 9%, as shown in the calcs (it had taken 11% damage)... zzz. I need slep.
  • A Pokémon can't dodge and attack in the same action (unless you order some sort of combo like Agility to dodge + attack, I guess).
  • Silke's Substitute was destroyed on the second action.
  • The last of Floof's confusion faded away upon being hit by Facade. The Attack boost faded away with it.
  • I can't remember if I said this before, but since the per-action damage is now relevant: Leech Seed inflicts/restores 1% damage per action. The damage from Silke's burn is distributed over the 3 actions of a round as 1%/0%/1%.
  • @IndigoEmmy commands first.

Back
Top Bottom