• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

League Championship 2015 - Kalos Open

It'd also be cool if we have refs that aren't participating in that round, so if anyone else wants to volunteer, feel free! I may give preference to refs who aren't participating, just for more variety.

As I am way too excited and both of our remaining battles are about to start their final bout (if applicable), we are looking for refs for the next tournament round. Please post here if you are willing to ref a battle; we will need four refs (not including myself, who would kind of like a break). To get an idea of the commitment, these battles will be 2v2.

I demand you all get hype over this ground-breaking tournament spoiler!

I'm up for it. I can probably do one battle.

QUARTERFINALS - UNCANNINESS AT THE VALLEY
(Mountain Kalos - Route 19/Grande Vallée Way)

After many showdowns in the west and center, the League Championship plunges in a new direction, towards the east. Most of this side of the region is sheer and mountainous, making for extremely unforgiving hikes; the stretch through Dendemille to Anistar is particularly notorious in that regard, as the constant snow and ice make fierce obstacles. There is, at least, relief in knowing that the authorities would find it very difficult to continue chasing through such a rough path. Besides, after the crossing is done, the general vicinity of Couriway Town rewards the suffering travelers with beautiful sights of flowing water.

The true destination, however, is the great bridge that brings together the two separate riversides of Route 19. Humongous and surprisingly sturdy, it is known as a site where many meaningful battles were staked by trainers nearing their eighth badge at the nearby Snowbelle City. The water beneath it might seem stagnant and marshy compared to the rushing rivers and falls in nearby locations, but it still sets a wonderful landscape, the cliffs at its flanks creating an amazing sense of depth and space.

However, it was not the vista alone that caught Asber's eyes. There is also the location's convenient proximity to the home of the famed psychic known as Inver. His incredible abilities are second only to the amount of ways he can be blackmailed into cooperating for a whole tournament round. His talent seems to completely upend the type chart as we know and love or hate it: fire is put out by grass, but sets water alight; every weakness becomes a resistance, and every resistance becomes a weakness. Even immunities simply become weaknesses. To duel under such unusual circumstances is an occasion known as an Inverse Battle, and it's one more of the battling styles well-known in Kalos.

As the common Normal-type becomes legendary in such matches, it was decided that restricting its availability in this match was required in order to preserve some of the strategical balance. As such, purely Normal-type Pokémon may not be sent out during this round, and damage-dealing Normal-type moves (barring those that had their types altered by effects such as that of Refrigerate, and counting those that had their types altered by effects such as that of Normalize) will have limited permitted uses. Other rules of Inverse Battles remain the same, being always worth noting that any effects that don't strictly result from a type chart relation apply as usual (as such: Poison or Steel-types remain immune to poisoning, Flying-types are unaffected by anything that only affects Pokémon on the ground, Freeze-Dry still deals super-effective damage against Water-types, and abilities that change the damage dealt by certain types of moves, such as Thick Fat, Dry Skin or Levitate, so on forth).

The fixtures for this round are as follows:
Music Dragon vs Byrus
Lord of the Fireflies vs Vipera Magnifica
Keldeo vs Eta Carinae
JackPK vs Eifie​

Winning prize: $40, one buyable Pokémon with a Hidden Ability
Losing prize: $20, one buyable Pokémon with a Hidden Ability
Referee prize: $30

The battles will begin within a week unless a delay is requested or becomes necessary (on either count, it'll be no longer than three aditional days). Be sure your active squad is ready -- you may have to think it through even more carefully than usual for this round. And again, those who volunteered to ref matches this round, keep me posted if anything changes. We have enough referees for all the matches, but we're still accepting further volunteers, in case any of the current ones has to drop.

Last edited by a moderator:
IT'S ON, JACK, I'VE WAITED SO LONG FOR THIS REMATCH

(and to everyone who's commented on my Mismagius and her Chople Berry: HAH.)

"EIFIE INDICTED ON INSIDER TRADING CHARGES - CABINET RESHUFFLE TO ENSUE"

wdPV2gy.gif

Hah! You think I can be taken down by the law?!

latest

Fool! I am the law!

Alright, I'm done handing out prizes for round three, aside from a couple hidden ability Pokémon. If you still need yours, PM/VM me with your Pokémon of choice.

I've had some trouble staying up to date due to my limited internet access, so I just wanted to confirm: am I still up against Byrus?

I've had some trouble staying up to date due to my limited internet access, so I just wanted to confirm: am I still up against Byrus?
Yes. We decided to wait a few days before starting your match so everyone would have time to ready up active squads. Feel free to send me a message whenever you're all set (and the same goes for Byrus).

Yes. We decided to wait a few days before starting your match so everyone would have time to ready up active squads. Feel free to send me a message whenever you're all set (and the same goes for Byrus).
Oh, wow! That's really considerate of you guys! Well, let it be known that I am ready! On this day I have wielded the power of free Wi-Fi to assemble my team! Prepare for battle!

Reading the event moves thread again, I realize I might have imagined all of that... Still! It'd be nice to have them implemented as soon as possible, and since the discussion was brought up in the middle of the last round, I guess I assumed/hoped it would have been added by now. But yeah Zhorken probably has a ton of other stuff on her hands so it's useless to push it.

What prizes does LotF get given that he was DQed, if any? I forget how this works for tournament prizes.

Also gonna use this post to keep track of what prizes are already taken care of again:

• Lord of the Fireflies vs Vipera Magnifica
  • Eifie vs JackPK
  • Music Dragon vs Byrus
  • Keldeo vs Eta Carinae

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom