• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

My somewhat-okay (I hope) Spritework

Re: My somewhat-okay (I hope) Pixel Overs

Nah, it's cool. I do it pixel by pixel too, by the way, but sometimes I use the shortcuts GIMP offers.

I just noticed, there're no black or half-black people in Pokémon. I'm half black, so I'm all alone.
German, half-black, blonde, and blue eyes. Odd. Not many people like that.

EDIT: Done!
wt62y8.jpg

Yes, that Unown-Z is Shiny. Couldn't resist.

EDIT: Pixel-Overed the Fire-Type Gen.IV Starter, Pokabu.
rrob2r.jpg

EDIT: And the Grass-Type, Tsutaaja.
5l3tab.jpg

EDIT: Aand... the Water-Type! Mijumaru!
2poxl07.jpg

I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of Shading.

EDIT: And this.
287ngb5.jpg

Had this in the works since sunday, but I kept getting sidetracked. Also, the thing that took just about the longest was Pikachu-Colored-Pichu's Shine.

Next up is Zorua and Zoroark, and I think that I'll be pixelling the Gen.IV Pokémon as they come out.

EDIT: Lookie, it's here.
2uqzwjl.jpg

All of them look spectacular. Every single one. Admittedly I won't be doing the Gen. V starters, because I just don't like the way they look, but you've done a great job. Actually, the only C+C I have to offer is that the male HGSS trainer (forgot his name XD) has a very squished face, even though he's looking to the right. It still appears as though his features are too close together. Other than that, these are all amazing, and you're very good at using GIMP.

I never noticed that there are no half-black or black trainers either, even in the anime. I suppose when you're coming from Japan, there wouldn't be very many, but still.

I went brunette a couple days ago but it's already starting to fade again with the humidity here in Cotton Flats. DAMMIT NATURE I AM NOT A NATURAL BLONDE!!!

XD

Eeeeeethaaaaaaannnnnnnn. Technically, it's from Gen.II, so um.
Thanks! I do have about a year's experience, so.
Hm, I suppose they do a bit, but I was just tracing over the art, so there's not much I can do about that. Eh.
Zoroark coming soon now.
20trzhj.jpg

(Incidentally, are the forums and site acting wacky for you too?)

Last edited:

Ah. Ethan. Now it registers. Your Zoroark looks great, and I'm surprised because I hate that pose. (looks like a monkey to me. XD)

A little bit, yeah. Then again, it may just be the fact that I'm using my cell phone in a moving vehicle in the middle of Cotton Flats. XD

It's when I try to load the site mostly, it doesn't come up and occasionally crashed my Firefox. Oh wait, Butterfree Tweeted about it. Hopefully it'll be up later today.
Torterra will be here whenever.

UPDATEY: I still haven't got past the basic outline. She is insanely complicated. (She strikes me as female somehow.) Tomorrow at the earliest.

Oh looky, she's here.
20uaoon.jpg

One of the most complicated ones I've ever done, on par with the Raikou / Suicune, the Pikachu / Pichu / Piplup, The Ruins Of Alph, and the Pichu / Pichu.

EDIT: Now this gallery includes Revamps. These are the only ones so far, but hey, more to come.
24qjps6.jpg
bed18p.jpg
t97f55.jpg
nm1btz.jpg
6yobb6.jpg
2dl5e93.jpg
mkaxrn.jpg
30wxkdg.jpg

Frames made in Paint, transparentized in GIMP, animated in GIF Movie Gear. Not exactly difficult, since the first frames are identical to the D/P/PT/HG/SS ones, but eh.

Also, I just remembered. For the US release of Battle Revolution, the option was added to customise the player's skin color.

Last edited:
Re: My somewhat-okay (I hope) Pixel Overs and Revamps

Wow! Torterra looks amazing! Really, the only thing I have to say about it is that the outlines, especially those on the roots of the tree, need a bit more anti-aliasing. Contrasted with the (amazing) shading you've done, it looks rather tacky. Other than that, great job.

However, the Unown are not my favorites. You say they're revamps, but really, they just look like you've taken the R/S/E sprites and updated them with Crystal-style animations. I trust you in saying that they're revamps, but they really don't look it. :P

Last night, I had major problems with server lag, which I'm not used to with TCoD. It was fine this morning though. o.O

Hm, I guess you're right - she does look odd like that. Must fix that sometime. *Adds to mental 'to-do urgently' list*
Actually, that's pretty much what they are - while it's the D/P/PT/HG/SS sprites, they were identical to the Crystal ones in both size and shape, and I was too lazy to bother to change the shading much, so. This better?
20avx1d.jpg

Also, the Site's still down for me. Go figure. EDIT: Another Tweet tells us that it may not be back 'till monday.

(Also, looks like you posted twice there. How did that happen?)

Last edited:

My phone's wierd, so it tends to double-post quite frequently. I'm not going to try to delete it till I'm back on my laptop because it'll probably somehow delete both. XD/XP

And I went to go look at the sprites of Unown and found that I was almost right: Game Freak has used variations (sometimes, not even changed at all) of the same Unown sprites since Gold and Silver. They just added the updated colors for the R/S/E/FR/LG sprites and then used the exact same sprites for Gen. IV. So it's not really your fault. They did the exact same thing, so that makes it okay because it's official.

Dugtrio's adorable! =3 Great job!

Well, there's not /that/ much you can do with Unown, though they could be more original than that, yes. They could at least change it so they are from a different angle or something.
(Want to know a secret? I was too lazy to bother to Revamp the Unown properly and just used the Gen.IV Sprites straight off, and shall continue to do so. The other Pokémon, though, I shall Revamp properly.)

EDIT: Oh look.
2v8luh3.jpg

Last edited:

GASP! You said they were revamps you cheater!

XD I'm kidding. Really. Great animations either way.

And as for Diglett: Awww! I forgot how cute the little thing was till now.

They sort of are... it's not like they'd have changed much if I'd done it properly. Meh.

EDIT: Look, another one.
25525ug.jpg

Why do they always blink?

I have several Pixel-Overs in the works. Wingull, Hitmontop, and Turtwig are three of them, but I'm also working on a big one which is my secret. You'll find out when I do it, ;P

Last edited:

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Unown are really basic.

They always blink because again, Game Freak was too lazy to do something new for all of them. XD

Aha, taking another leaf out of my book, are we? I also had a "giant top-secret" pixel-over in the works for a while. I wouldn't even let my best friend see it till it was finished. XD I can't wait to see what it is!

Not really out of your book, but I guess subconsciously? Um, maybe? Well, I'm (getting distracted by) revamping Legendaries at the moment, so they'll be here soon, I guess.

EDIT: And true to my word:
svjp15.jpg

It blinks too @.@
But um. Yes. Starting on that big project sometime.

EDIT: ARGH MY COMPUTER WAS UNPLUGGED AND I HADN'T SAVED THE MEGA PIXEL-OVER AND IT WAS DELETED BECAUSE GIMP HAS NO AUTOSAVE AND AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHH @.@
This is a lesson to save your work frequently, kids.
@___________________@

EDIT: Completed one character out of nine-and-a-tree. Um.

EDIT: And now it's two.

EDIT: Three.

EDIT: Four.

EDIT: Fiiiiiiiiiiiveeeeeeeeeeee gooooooooooold riiiiiiiiiiingssssss~

EDIT: Six.

EDIT: Seven.

EDIT: And two seperate halves of two seperate characters. Unfortunately, the shading is refusing to look right, because it's cream and it either is so light that it is invisible or too dark. >.<

IT GLOWS

The suspense hightens...

So it does. Not quite sure why they made it glow on the bottom third of its body, then two-thids, and finally entirely, but that is how it is. Um, hoping to finish the shading tomorrow and start on the tree, possibly even finish it. Or then again, perhaps not. I'll try anyway.

So, I'm assuming it's the cast of some anime/manga? I don't watch/read much anime/manga (which reminds me, I need to get to watching Death Note on Hulu), so I have no idea what the hell you're doing.

The Zorua sprite is pillowshaded like hell. Using the little fur mane thing as an example: how is it getting lighter underneath the next layer of fur?

In addition, you need to use less shades. There's absolutely no contrast on your pixel-overs. Look at that Pichu. It may very well be one shade. It's not how many shades you have, it's how much contrast there is between them that makes the difference.

Also, overshading instead of dithering is frowned upon in the more serious pixel art community, but I kinda doubt you'd really be posting your work at Pixeljoint or something.

You're assuming that why?
Me and Ryubane seem to agree that it's not too pillow shaded for our tastes, though I know it may be different for you. A matter of preference, I suppose.
I prefer to Overshade for a more realistic look, gradually darkening as it goes round. Again, it's a matter of preference.

That "as it goes round" part you were mentioning is practically the definition of pillow-shading. It's shading that wraps around the sprite, which, looking back (and very closely, at that) I can see that the Zorua does have that. I didn't even notice it before, because the shades were so similar to each other. But hey, if the light source is coming from directly in front of them, then that's great. So they're not too pillow-shaded because you really have to be looking to notice it, but they are indeed pillow-shaded.

Ah, okay. Um, still trying to get the cream-color to work, so yeah.
I actually meant 'as it goes round' in the sense of 'as it darkens and curves round', but I agree looking back on it that it wasn't that clear.

But the "curves round" part is very vague, as it could mean it either curves around in just one direction more so than the other, or it curves around on all sides in an equal manner. Which is pillow-shading. It's okay though; you're working on overcoming this problem, and that's good.

Back
Top Bottom