• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2012

Figured out the climax and a few big plot points of my story. They'll probably change considerably before I get there, but it's nice to have a basis to use when I get that close to finishing.

I've actually been slightly above-par for two days. I've also noticed that I tend to write far more quickly once I reach par, which is incredibly annoying, but I suppose makes sense (since the pressure is off, and all that).

Haven't hit the Week Two Blues yet-- I'm wary that it will happen any moment now.

7. And while I'm on the subject of Dropbox and GDocs, back up your work! This is not directly related to productivity, but every year I am apparently the BACK UP YOUR CRAP PLEASE evangelist, and even though so far this year there have been no reports (that I'm aware of, anyway) of people losing tons of work, it's worth saying anyway. Almost every year someone on TCoD has lost work for one reason or another, myself included, and if you take steps to back things up as soon as possible then you'll be in a better position should tragedy strike. Paste your story into Google Docs, use Dropbox, store work on more than one flash drive/hard drive, email it to yourself, whatever! As long as it's in more than one place, preferably at least one online and one offline imo, you are far less likely to lose work (or to temporarily lose all access to it should your internet or one of your computers go on the fritz or something)! Saving the files you're working on in a Dropbox folder as I'm doing accomplishes the online-offline bit in one fell swoop, since it's both in the Dropbox folder on your computer and stored on the Dropbox servers with minimal effort on your part! (Though I'm still pasting things into GDocs just in case.) And hey, peace of mind certainly can't hurt your productivity, can it?

Do this! I almost lost the last week's worth of changes to my story (which weren't much, granted, but still), but thanks to Dropbox and friends who can back up hard drives, all is alright. Except I have no functional laptop right now, which might place an unfortunate damper on my productivity, but I'm going to continue to try!

[map info/links/descriptions]

Just don't play with the mapgens for too long because you should totally be writing!

Ahh this look awesome! Thanks Kratos! Those will come in handy later. =D

I haven't had any time for anything but homework today. I dedicated the last forty-five minutes to it.

1337 words in that timespan is pretty dang good, as far as I'm concerned. And I'll be able to make up what I have either over the next few days or, if I can't do that, over thanksgiving break.

Today wasn't so hot, but yesterday I did do quite a bit of catching up. It helped that I finally got to write a fight scene, since I'm marginally good at those, although I did waste a bit of time starting and restarting (but not erasing, hah!) until I realized that I needed to plan it out just a bit more before it would flow easily. (Also it is way too long for an actual fight scene and will likely be cut down like whoa in the next draft, but NaNo oh well wordcount++!) As of the 14th I'm just under 5200 words behind; I could theoretically make that up in maybe two and a half hours, but as even typing on the netbook has not completely spared my arms/wrists from pain it's probably best if I keep it to about 3334/day for now, unless I'm really feeling up to more. That'll still get me caught up in a day or two.

Now, if you will excuse me, even that last ~1000 word rush today (waaaah distractions procrastination go 'way) took a lot out of my poor, long-suffering limbs, so I'm gonna hit the shower and then mess around with my ugly map some more. 'Bout time I gave a name to more than one country, anyway, and as amusing as it sounds I probably shouldn't leave the caption for one country stating that it is ruled by the good King The Other Guy. XD

I finished my quota for today... last night. Oops. Oh well, getting ahead is faboo-- and writing fight scenes is a great way to boost up a word count.
(After all, why say a character was knocked back when you can say he was sent skidding backwards from the force of the blow, digging his claws into the loamy earth in efforts to slow himself down?)

Considering working on a map, myself, with all the map-talk going on in this thread. Mite b fun.

So, what genre is everybody writing?

EDIT: Wrote nearly 4,500 words today, so getting into a steady rhythm again now.

Last edited:
Wrote over 2000 today, killed off a main character, and got over the 25k hump. A pretty good writing period in my mind.

My story's a sort of supernatural adventure novel, with much more emphasis on thoughts and feelings of the main character rather than action scenes. It's different than how I usually write, which is fun, but I'm getting tired of writing "And so he thought..." and variations of it. Oh well, I like how the story's going so far.

Blaargh just managed to hit my target wordcount (~3300) and submit it right as the clock on NaNo was rolling over. Not that it especially matters which day the writing credit goes on as long as it's getting done before the thirtieth, but I busted my hands with all that writing on the 14th and yer damn straight you'll give me credit for it on the 14th! Hah. Should be able to be all caught up by tomorrow, though, assuming I write the same number of words and my hands don't fall off. :V

The sad part is that the entirety of that additional 3300 came from the second half of that one fight scene, and so now I'm doubly-convinced that a good 30-50% of all this was entirely unnecessary fluff and poorly-worded rambling, but oh well! At least I was able to write it at all, right!

My novel is crappy and boring high fantasy, lol. The main one, anyway. The side one is... a creative retelling of a video game set in boring high fantasy. Oops!

Mmmm yes, 25219 words and I still feel like continuing this scene today. Feels good to be over the halfway mark on time B]
It's also amazing that I have been able to keep a consistent plot going on instead of going that possible randomwtf route. Yay me, I guess.

My novel is a silly only-serious-at-times fantasy thing that's set in some modern-day Finnish city. I thoroughly enjoy writing dialogue between characters who hate each other so there's a lot of that :D

I even made a new, improved cover image for my novel today, and I guess this would be a good place to share it?
nano_cover2_2.png

I'd love to see your novel covers too, if you have any! Do share your creations O:

No Harle noooo :( C'mon, there must be something you can do! Or at least keep writing when you can, even if you really don't think you can make it to 50K!

That is really awesome, Equinoxe! What does the title translate to, if you don't mind my asking?

I don't have any cover for mine, though, haha. I'd like to, and I imagine it'd come in handy for more than just the NaNo site, but maybe some other time. (Still haven't even done the customary changing of the avatar for the duration of November oops!)

Wrote another 3,500 words today, and crossed the 40,000 barrier! I am quickly realising, however, that although I should be able to win by Sunday, my novel will overrun by about 10,000 words. Oh well though, all part of the fun, I guess!

I really want to create a cover for mine, but I am not an artist and I don't want it to look awful, so have shied away from it so far.

Finally caught up :) Okay technically it's three hours late, but since it was still completed before I went to bed and the next 1667+ will be during Normal People Hours, far as I'm concerned it counts!

That is really awesome, Equinoxe! What does the title translate to, if you don't mind my asking?

Thank youuu~ C:
I guess it's something like "shred/strip of fire" in English?
I just kind of smacked 'fire' and 'shred' together because it seemed fitting. Hooray for compound words :D

Currently I'm at school but fuck project work, I don't really have that much to do graphics-wise and I don't care. Gonna vent some of my usual friday frustration (tm) to write an angsty angst scene from later in the novel, and fill in the missing parts later. :B

Also Harlequin, don't give up! Keep writing even if you feel you can't get all the words written. Don't let any of those pretty little words go to waste! O:

44,115 - I cannot believe that I have written so much in such a short amount of time really. My writing stamina has improved immeasurably - I was struggling to write 2,000 at the beginning of the month and am now routinely gunning out 3,500 words at least every day. I should be a winner by Sunday afternoon, and if it all goes to plan, should have finished the novel by Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

I just wrote out the plan for the last section of the novel (I split it loosely into five 10,000 word sections to keep me on track) and the end actually felt in sight for the first time with something I've written. I just need to get through thirteen more plot points, then it's dedications and an epigrammatic quotation, and the novel is done. So excited, I cannot even describe.

Has anybody on TCoD ever had their novel published by CreateSpace as a winner?

Back
Top Bottom