• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

On Removing Clutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: On Stupid Threads in Forum Games

does this serve any purpose other than to flame Arylett? If you don't like her, fine, but seriously grow up.
She is the most frequent poster in the biggest (spam) thread on the forums. The person in second place has half the posts.

This is a fact, and one I found very telling. My opinion of her is irrelevant.

Some people enjoy murdering kittens with butter knives
that doesn't mean people should just stand aside and watch them do it just because they enjoy it
some of us *like* our kittens alive and intelligent with meaningful things to say. The kinds of people who kill them degrade our society of kitten-loving fellows.

But
;____;

Why would you do that to a kitten!?

-sobs in the corner-

...when did this ever have anything to do with flaming arylett
wtf

But
;____;

Why would you do that to a kitten!?

-sobs in the corner-

EXACTLY.
which is why this needs to be stopped.

If you people care so much ask Butterfree to get rid of post count in forum games.
"you people"

Why do you think we're proposing this? We are stating our opinions so hopefully some action results from it. :)

We already have

She complained about how it's contradicting our wishes to have post count on everywhere

(I wasn't here for that, evidently)

...why don't you just get rid of the offending thread (and the other counting ones or ones that are kinda lame), but leave the good ones? (like the band one, you're banned, and some of the caption ones) You could just get rid of new counting ones if they crop up or something.

just my two cents.

...why don't you just get rid of the offending thread (and the other counting ones or ones that are kinda lame), but leave the good ones? (like the band one, you're banned, and some of the caption ones) You could just get rid of new counting ones if they crop up or something.

just my two cents.
Those threads are just as bad. Except the band one. :D But I'm biased.

But if people think the band one is as bad as the other Forum Games, I would certainly not be opposed to it being removed if it means a quality increase in the forums.

Sorry if it's not all 'quality posts' to you guys, but lots of people tend to like these threads. And I really don't see how the silliness from forum games extends anywhere else.

If you people care so much ask Butterfree to get rid of post count in forum games.
ITP: FAILURE TO READ THE THREAD

This is not complaining about post count being on in forum games.

This is complaining about forum games being filled with useless crap that might be related to the whole "TCOD is really freaking slow lately" thing.

Those threads are just as bad. Except the band one. :D But I'm biased.

But if people think the band one is as bad as the other Forum Games, I would certainly not be opposed to it being removed if it means a quality increase in the forums.

I like the band one. :3

But you're banned is a classic (perhaps wiping it every little while could help though?), and the caption ones are fun, since people can come up with some hilarious things to say about avis and stuff.

Sorry if it's not all 'quality posts' to you guys, but lots of people tend to like these threads. And I really don't see how the silliness from forum games extends anywhere else.

okay I guess we have to go over this again

1) Just because people like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be against the rules

2) FORUM SLOWDOWN

c'mon, you should've learned how to read in kindergarten, at least

I'm not complaining about the caption ones or You're Banned! Although I personally dislike them both, they do at least usually require a bit of thought.

Counting does not.

Counting should not be at least 8% of the forum.

How on earth is forum games degrading the quality of the forum? They're simple little games that people like to play.
Exactly. Forums are for discussion.

Also, who really cares if one in three posts is a forum games post, honestly. It just shows that people like posting in forum games, not that the forum is in any way degraded.
It shows that the forums are full of crap.

Yeah, except the people who like posting there, you know? :|
It took me a minute to really figure out where you're coming from here, because I've been on the intertubes for a good decade now and this is a very basic concept to me. And this exposes the root of the problem; the same cause that shows up in a lot of places online.

I will just come out and say: Who cares what they like posting?

The point of a forum is not to pander to you. Nor is it to make you happy, or to give you a place to slap something on the Internet just for the sake of having done so.

Forums are a focal point for a group. The point is to engage the group in interesting discussion.

Forum games are inherently selfish. Nobody reads the old posts; they are worthless and boring. The only benefit any individual post has is to give the next poster something to respond to; after that, the original post serves zero purpose whatsoever. None of them are any use to the group at all. They are a giant circlejerk, intended only to make the poster feel special for putting something On The Internet, give the next poster an excuse to do the same, and then be discarded.

Your focus is on that brief moment in the limelight. You can't see the forest for the trees. We are here to serve the forums, not the other way around.

sup guys read this post it summarizes the whole problem and why I dislike Forum Games

1) Just because people like it doesn't mean it shouldn't be against the rules

2) FORUM SLOWDOWN

1) How is it against the rules? They're not useless posts; they're contributing to their respective threads.

2) I haven't noticed a slowdown and I've been coming here everyday this week; we should see what Butterfree has to say about it.

TCoDf has been white-screening a lot over the past few weeks.

I've been coming here fairly frequently -- every hour or three that I'm awake and home, actually -- for the past five years. :|

1) How is it against the rules? They're not useless posts; they're contributing to their respective threads.

2) I haven't noticed a slowdown and I've been coming here everyday this week; we should see what Butterfree has to say about it.

1) they're spam. They're "contributing" to a worthless thread. Threads can be spam too, y'know. containing no value? we've gone over this too

2) I don't know about you, but pretty much everyone, after viewing said topic, has noticed slowdown, and the forums have been white-screening (and I should add that the rest of the interbutts are working fine for me)

The entire "People post things in Forum Games that would be spam in any other forum, so it must make spam SPREAD TO THE OTHER FORUMS" line of reasoning is ridiculous. There is no reason to think that the existence of Forum Games can 'pollute' the rest of the forum.

On the other hand, I have been puzzling over why people consider it a game to post something completely predetermined. Games get entertainment value from the choices that they let you make; the choices may be fairly meaningless for everything outside of the game itself, but they're what makes it worth the bother to play them. When there is always only one possible move for you to make, there is little point in the game's existence.

Thus, "US vs. The World", "Count to x", "Pokémon ABCs", etc. are games that I really cannot see as having any possible entertainment value whatsoever, and they really should go if they're causing the forums to slow down. The rest of the Forum Games forum, however, is staying.

*finally manages to delete US vs. The World*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom