• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

On Removing Clutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Forum Games is a perfectly acceptable place - as long as it's postcount off. It used to be a place where you could just go when say, you were bored, or were waiting for a roleplay reply? When you consider that, and then consider that it's 30k of all forum posts, I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all.

But when the post count on for Forum Games came back, more people go there, clearly not only for reasons like the above but just to raise their postcount, which is a little annoying.

I know I'm ten pages late by the way. :P Just thought I'd put my view here, totally oblivious to what the topic has moved onto by now. Hmm, clutter...

Does it really slow the forum down? I've never noticed it. TCoD seems to load just as fast as any other general discussion forum.

Purging it now AND putting post count off would be better than just purging it and watching it grow back.

You could always wipe them when they get to *insert number here*.

That's a good idea~

Deleting Now Playing was bloody stupid/uncessecary imo
That actually had a POINT to it unlike the couting threads

And it amuses me how a vBulletin forum lags at a few huge threads while an invisionfree forum doesn't lag when 20 odd people are posting all at once in a topic with 2500+ pages

Normally I would say that it was just like any other Forum Game that is just either 'paste something, move on' or similar, but it really is quite helpful. :/ I've lost count how many times I've found new people to listen to because of what I've seen people I respect here listen to.

If we are to keep Forum Games, then I want to keep its post count turned on. In fact I want to keep post count on more than I want to delete Forum Games.

Last edited:
If we are to keep Forum Games, then I want to keep its post count turned on. In fact I want to keep post count on more than I want to delete Forum Games.
Ruby, I don't think I've ever agreed with you as strongly as I do now.

And it amuses me how a vBulletin forum lags at a few huge threads while an invisionfree forum doesn't lag when 20 odd people are posting all at once in a topic with 2500+ pages

That couldn't possibly be because Butterfree's forum is hosted on extra space on one of her dad's servers while IFree has several dedicated, high-power servers used and optimized for exactly that purpose, could it? I don't think the "quality" or whatever of the software has anything to do with it.

Especially since vBulletin is (supposedly) the industry standard for web-based bulletin boards. It would be like saying MediaWiki is crap if an installation on some junk Pentium 2 machine can't load a page of certain size, even though MediaWiki was built for one of the top 10 websites in the world.

And I'm rather sure people go to forum games for more reasons than just postcount++. The forum games board on my forum has postcount turned off but it still manages to be one of the most active boards.

The lag is a red herring being used as a convenient practical excuse.

The issue here is the quality of the forums. Posting useless garbage does not improve the forums (and is, in fact, actually against the rules).

People using "but it's fun!!" and "you can just ignore it" and "what harm does it do" as rationales are not trying to improve the forums; they are interested only in themselves and what few seconds of bland entertainment and potential fame they can squeeze from the forums.

I wish you guys could at least get our point of view here rather than trying to rationalize why something with no point (and that takes no effort) belongs on discussion forums where it will be saved forever. Why can't this crap go in IRC or IM? If you're bored, why can't you try to start a real conversation about something?

Oh, yes, a topic with hundreds of pages of people saying what video game remix they were listening to, or being the fiftieth person to say "Still Alive" since the world just needs to know on every single gathering of that song's popularity.

Why don't you just create a Last.fm account for that stuff? Furret will probably squeel with joy.

I'm coming in 11 pages late to the party, but I have somethings I would like to add to it.

If it's the quality of the forums at hand, then I don't see why major adjustments to the Forum Games can't be made. I'd go through and delete all of the stupid ones, keeping the legitimate games, and turn off the post count for the board to deter more useless posting. I'd then have some mods keep track of the board, eliminating stupid games at sight, or maybe have an authorization process, like what was mentioned earlier in the thread. The rest of the forum would have all repeated or useless posts deleted, to make use of useful threads. The whole Artmo thing, which it was previously stated to only been possible with a club, could get a seperate forum along with the other types of contests. As I said earlier, redundant threads, in this case Sprite Contests, would be deleted unless they are original or useful.

That is just my opinion on these matters, and I don't intend for any of it to be followed. Besides that, I don't have any authority or power so I don't expect much anyways.

The whole Artmo thing, which it was previously stated to only been possible with a club, could get a seperate forum along with the other types of contests. As I said earlier, redundant threads, in this case Sprite Contests, would be deleted unless they are original or useful.

Artmo wasn't really a contest, per se; it was a NaNo ripoff where we all drew one picture every day in December. (or, well, I fell back and failed halfway through, but yeah. D:) It was organized by a club, but it could be done by anyone if they wanted to. Granted, most of the arty-type people on this forum are in OS, but it might be cool to see it open to everyone next time we decide to do it. It could fit in easily with other contests and the like. :V

The issue here is the quality of the forums. Posting useless garbage does not improve the forums (and is, in fact, actually against the rules).

People using "but it's fun!!" and "you can just ignore it" and "what harm does it do" as rationales are not trying to improve the forums; they are interested only in themselves and what few seconds of bland entertainment and potential fame they can squeeze from the forums.

I wish you guys could at least get our point of view here rather than trying to rationalize why something with no point (and that takes no effort) belongs on discussion forums where it will be saved forever. Why can't this crap go in IRC or IM? If you're bored, why can't you try to start a real conversation about something?

this

reposted just so you people will fucking read

it's directed at people like Cirrus and Arylett Dawnsborough and co. who don't understand Eevee's point about quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom