• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

On Removing Clutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we're at it, I think some people should stop joining absolutely every roleplay they possibly can. Maybe limit it to about 3 roleplays per person at one time until one roleplay finishes as such?

Thank you.

Don't try limiting how many RPs someone can be in; some people can play in many and well. :/

Yes RP limiting would be good. But RP fans wouldn't be too happy about this, and I sort of figure not too many RPs live so I guess being in heaps isn't TOO bad...

I thought the general consensus around here was that consenting parties should be able to do whatever they want as long as they don't get in anyone else's way.
Legally? Sure!

You may also notice a running theme here where I refer to the forums as an entity unto itself.

but I still don't think it would be right to stop Forum Games posters from doing what they do; it wouldn't be fair to ban their silly hobby simply because you can't stand being aware of its presence a few clicks away.
Forum Games is a low-hanging symptom of something nobody really wants to fix. Hence the futility.

Legally? Sure!

You may also notice a running theme here where I refer to the forums as an entity unto itself.
I'm very sorry, but I don't see where you're going with this. (I'm a slow-on-the-uptake kind of person.) So the "consenting parties should be able to do whatever they want as long as they don't get in anyone else's way" statement is wrong because...?

Forum Games is a low-hanging symptom of something nobody really wants to fix.
So what's the underlying disease?

Hence the futility.

By the way, I read through the thread again and I couldn't find any post where you mentioned the futility of... well, whatever it is. I mean, there is this one:

Which is why I said this is ultimately futile.

... but that refers back to an earlier statement I can't seem to find. I can only assume that you're talking about the futility of taking away Forum Games, in which case I don't understand why you want it removed in the first place.

He feels that way about the law, not everything.

Someone's life is not significantly affected if they get a PM saying that they broke the rules on a forum.

He feels that way about the law, not everything.

Someone's life is not significantly affected if they get a PM saying that they broke the rules on a forum.
Oh, I know. But I don't understand why he feels that way; shouldn't they be able to play games as much as they want, since they're not doing any harm?

Someone's life is not significantly affected if people post in Forum Games, either...

Now you're talking about limiting RP? This is mad! Don't delete or edit things that are fun and that you can actually gain from and get entertainment from. You shouldn't limit it. Keep it like that.

Now you're talking about limiting RP? This is mad! Don't delete or edit things that are fun and that you can actually gain from and get entertainment from. You shouldn't limit it. Keep it like that.
It'd be better if people actually could write, but limiting how many RPs someone can be in is really freaking stupid.

Thing is though that, correct me if I'm wrong, a lot of roleplays tend to get "dull" because there are so many new roleplays created on a daily basis that none ever get finished as such. This just annoys me slightly as some people do put effort into these things. Not only that but it becomes clutter when it should do so.

It doesn't matter how frequently people roleplay if they're well, absolutely crap at it and by not following through they're barely going to improve at anything. Sure it might be fun but I do find it annoying how nothing ever gets finished. Plus there are roleplays out there which seem kind of plotless initially. The only one I can really think of is the team Magma roleplay thing started by Philly; doubt that'll get finished either.

Why does it matter if a roleplay gets finished? Large roleplays very rarely actually finish whatever their plot is; it's more common for plot threads to get tied up but for nothing to ever really ... end. There's usually still stuff to do. People might not want to play it out, but there's still something unless everybody died or something.

Okayokay, I see your point. What I mean is that I'd like to see an ongoing roleplay which has lasted a while because people are actually dedicated to it rather than joining the newest roleplay out.

...Wouldn't we all like to see that. :/

It's like, very few RP's actually catch my eyes these days, and the ones that do I'm usually pretty dedicated to. It'd be great if more people were like that.

Feel free to ignore this post. I just had to say something about it. >>

That's an issue of attitude that can only really be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

tl;dr

are people actually opposed to making the forum better? I mean, seriously? I'm a fan of quality over quantity, but I suppose some people like vast piles of shit.

What's your idea of better and what's mine are totally subjective. Either way, there is going to be someone who has a totally different opinion, disagrees and bawws/debates/whatever about it, and we'll be in this situation all over again. Therefore, I think everything should be left alone.

Why? So things can get slower and slower as more and more of the forum's resources are devoted to stuff that gets read all of once and is relevant to only the poster and possibly one other person?

What's your idea of better and what's mine are totally subjective. Either way, there is going to be someone who has a totally different opinion, disagrees and bawws/debates/whatever about it, and we'll be in this situation all over again. Therefore, I think everything should be left alone.

Hey, uh, kid, listen.

There are fifteen pages of posts discussing why leaving things alone is a foolish idea. Take some time to read them, then come back to the last page where the big boys know what they're talking about and then you can join.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom