• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Philosophical Thoughts

Aletheia

King Koopa
I'm sure we all have them from time to time. I thought it'd be interesting just to share them.

So, yeah. Post any substantial thoughts about life, the universe, and everything. That you have.

I have a medium-sized collection in my journal but I'm too lazy to post it right now :unsure:

Okay, here's a rather large collection.

How will I know why my Internet stopped working

If my Internet stopped working?

If actions are stronger than words

Why is the pen mightier than the sword?

If anything is possible

Is it possible for something to be impossible?

What would happen if I took the red pill and the blue pill at the same time?

Is there another word

For synonym?

The next sentence is true.

The previous sentence is false.

Why is it called the common cold

If it's a different virus each time?

If you expect the unexpected

doesn't the unexpected /become/ the expected?

If the opposite of pro is con

Is the opposite of progress congress?

Call your ISP?

Because you're mixing metaphors.

If anything is possible

Yes.

Nothing, because The Matrix is fictional. :D

Is there another word

For synonym?

Not to my knowledge.

I think you'll find your logic is a bit faulty.

Because it's a different variant of the same virus.

No.

No.

Well, that was easy. Maybe I should be studying philosophy? :D

Okay, here's a rather large collection.

If anything is possible

Is there another word

For synonym?

None of these are Philosophy! D':

Okay, actual philosophy! What do you guys think about moral relativism?

Meta-ethical relativists believe not only that people disagree about moral issues, but that terms such as "good," "bad," "right" and "wrong" do not stand subject to universal truth conditions at all. Rather, they describe societal conventions and personal preference. Meta-ethical relativists are, firstly, descriptive relativists: they believe that, given the same set of facts, some societies or individuals will have a fundamental disagreement about what one ought to do (based on societal or individual norms). What's more, they argue that one cannot adjudicate these disagreements using some independent standard of evaluation — the standard will always be societal or personal.

According to Richard Garner and Bernard Rosen, there are three kinds of meta-ethical problems, or three general questions:

1. What is the meaning of moral terms or judgments?
2. What is the nature of moral judgments?
3. How may moral judgments be supported or defended?

A question of the first type might be, "What do the words 'good', 'bad', 'right' and 'wrong' mean?". The second category includes questions of whether moral judgments are universal or relative, of one kind or many kinds, etc. Questions of the third kind ask, for example, how we can know if something is right or wrong, if at all. Garner and Rosen say that answers to the three basic questions "are not unrelated, and sometimes an answer to one will strongly suggest, or perhaps even entail, an answer to another."

A meta-ethical theory, unlike a normative ethical theory, does not attempt to evaluate specific choices as being better, worse, good, bad, or evil; although it may have profound implications as to the validity and meaning of normative ethical claims. An answer to any of the three example questions above would not itself be a normative ethical statement.

Call your ISP?

Because you're mixing metaphors.

Yes.

Nothing, because The Matrix is fictional. :D

Not to my knowledge.

I think you'll find your logic is a bit faulty.

Because it's a different variant of the same virus.

No.

No.

Well, that was easy. Maybe I should be studying philosophy? :D

None of these are Philosophy! D':

I'm pretty sure you just got trolled. Those are Philosoraptor quotes.

Why do burps consisting of multiple previously-consumed delicious food items (ex. smoky bacon crisps + irn-bru) taste so rank?

I'm pretty sure you just got trolled. Those are Philosoraptor quotes.

But raptors can't be philosafists!

Pathos said:
Philosophy!
:D

Personally, I agree with it, that ethics are decided solely by societal norms.
You just have to look at history even slightly to see this. We see, for example, the Roman vandalism of culturally or religiously significant places and monuments as horrible, whereas for them it was necessary.

Or for a better example:

We see genocide as wrong, whereas Israeli children are brought up to believe that when certain historical figures wiped out complete cultures to protect the Jewish one, they were doing the right thing.

'Course, just because people have differing opinions on ethics doesn't mean that they're all equally valid.
But I guess I follow Socrates when he said that a man will never do what he knows is evil, for that will tear him away inside. Or something like that.

So if these people truly believe what they're doing is right, we may not have any more right than they to decide what is 'good', and rather what is 'valid'.

Or something. That was just one big ramble. >.<

I'm pretty sure it was on a Dawkins program on Channel 4 (maybe the Edge of Reason?).
But yeah, maybe pretend I didn't say it? Sorry...

I pretty much only remember him asking some Israeli kids why Hitler was bad, and their answers were pretty much 'Who's Hitler?' or 'He killed lots of Jews'.

And then he asked them what they thought of [that guy with the horn of Jericho], [that guy who spared only the whore who let his army into the city] and [that guy who brought the deaths of the Egyptian first born sons], and their reactions were all pretty much 'Well that was different, because it was for the Jews'.

I have no sources, and I may be making this up. I'm not sure any more, sorry. >.<

Back
Top Bottom