• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Post your desktop.

desk.png

choosing a wallpaper is a tricky business...

choosing a wallpaper is a tricky business...

Yes!

I spent way too long looking for wallpapers yesterday. I have a folder full of them that my computer changes between every half an hour, and I realised that I only had one Zelda picture in there (gasp!), but even after ages of looking, I only now have five.

I'm really picky about what my wallpapers are like. I don't like it if too much is going on, I don't like it if too little is going on. If the focus is one one person, I don't like that one person to be too big, or looking at the camera. I don't like it if the stuff that is going on isn't well distributed across the screen, and I generally don't like screenshots of shows. I don't often like ones that are trying to have some weird style like emphasising outlines or things like that.

I guess it's surprising there are any images that fit my criteria? I also have a smaller sub-folder full of images I don't want to be used as wallpapers at the moment, for whatever reason.

Which one? My Windows 7/Vista, Linux Mint 9/11/13, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, Puppy Linux Quirky/Lucid, Mythbuntu, LXDE Ubuntu, Linux Mint XFCE, Ubuntu Server [its CLI. You don't want to see it], etc...? Do you mean Desktop background or whole screen itself? And if its the whole screen, then which virtual desktop? [I really make use of them]

My current OS:
Window 7[HIDE=Virtual Desktop 1]General/School work
1.png
Programming and Scripting
2.png
Music and Arts/Design
3.png
Miscellanious
4.png
It's a slideshow.
back.png
[/HIDE]If you were planning on gaining more information about me or my last name... Good Luck. I blurred and pixelated anything extra I noticed.
Geez... I need help getting rid of the useful crap I have... except that would make me crazy... having 100+ tabs in Google Chrome doesn't help...

14nel3r.jpg

My notes for papers I plan on writing! Well technically a paper about data they scratched and moved to other gens.

Those are some rather awesome notes. I see CoreFTP. What are you updating? O.o I also see what I believe is Latias peeking between the two notes on the left. If I didn't know better, I'd think that you were making your own version of a pokemon game or a hack!

Last edited:
1fOrF.png

My mom insisted on making an account on my laptop for parental control and what, so all of my apps are named "Mohac" and then whatever word on her screen too. She told me to change it, but if I can't customize everything to my every incessant desire, I go insane.

So what are everyone's opinions on desktop icons anyway? They're useful if you have everything windowed or you have everything closed often, but I find I pretty much always have at least a web browser open and maximised. So I pretty much never have anything on my desktop except for the recycle bin.

I never use the desktop icons. I've heard it slows the computer down when it's booting up, though I have no idea whether there's any truth to that, but either way I just pin everything I ever use to the taskbar at the bottom of the screen for easy access. I barely ever see my desktop image.

Recent desktop renovations. Yes, yes, thank you, hold your applause.
lZG0etq.jpg

Desktop Icons do not slow your computer down enough to really be of notice. Unless you have a 500MHz- Single-Core CPU, 256- MB RAM, 256- MB of Video RAM, and/or a large number of icons (like 1000+), then It probably won't affect you that much. You should be more worried about programs that run at boot. The desktop icons load at the same time as the startup applications, so the apparent loss of speed is probably coming from background services and such. The only time the icons would really make any lag for even a split second is when you refresh the desktop. It has to regenerate the icon cache.

Actually, having a desktop background is worse than icons. Depending on the background of course.

IT'S NECROPOSTING TIME!!!!!

998C2kT.png
omg this is so cool! i love the themed stuff like this, also your firefox icon is really cute.
can't believe i'm posting in a thread that i made when i was twelve

this post is dedicated to Workspaces
the song tierlists lol
Do2Lbz.jpg
yn2ZlA.jpg
Yes I Am Photographer
A1L79H.jpg
whoa... wtf is a workspace tbh? i have never heard of this but it seems useful. also good wallpaper choices

you know i just got to flex the desktop setup tbh. 8)
Fr5AWlr.png

Back
Top Bottom