• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Fly, dig, and dive are all fine. Shadow force and phantom force, as well as sky drop, might be in question though. Flavour-wise the ghost ones are okay but there isn't a way to follow or hit the pokemon during the semi-invulnerable turn, so game-wise maybe it shouldn't work? Sky drop could just depend on the weight difference.

I think Pokemon can stay in the ~spooky ghost dimension~ for as long as they'd like, with effort, of course (to me it sounds rather like phasing, which we nixed, but). For Sky Drop, though, I don't think you'd be able to hold onto a struggling, quite-possibly-heavy victim for very long.

What if the victim wasn't struggling?

What moves should be able to pass through the barrier between the ~spooky ghost dimension~ and the physical world? For phasing the list was quite extensive, but the flavour was also a bit different. Or will the pokemon be simply unable to touch each other until the ghost returns?

Well, I imagine the victim would be struggling. Not like Struggle, but at least flailing around. Also the victim quite possibly being heavy is still a problem.
If it was something like uh an Aerodactyl Sky Dropping a Jumpluff, I might let it go on for an action or two more, but under most circumstances I think Sky Drop won't be able to go longer than 2.

I think the Pokemon will simply be unable to touch each other until the ghost returns, barring things like No Guard.

Well, the victim could be asleep or infatuated, or, say, not so much a victim as a pokemon rather glad to be up in the air alongside an ally...

But yeah, weight considerations too.

I'll just quickly add that I'd frankly prefer for ghostforce moves not to be extensible -- their semi-invulnerability is too powerful for that. If you need flavor, call it "the move involves the ghost moving through the other dimension it can't just stop in there dimensions are weird".

Mmm I do suppose the semi-invulnerability of the ghostforce moves are a lot better than those offered by Fly, Dig, and Dive, but I don't think it's /much/ better? We could still have them hit by always-hit moves and perhaps stronger energy moves (flavour-wise it could be because the ghost dimension is a close parallel to our usual dimension), and/or give a higher energy upkeep cost?

... but yeah, maybe it's simpler just to not let them be extensible. :/

Yes, as with Dig and Dive; Bounce is just a special exception because, like, have you ever tried jumping up in the air and just staying there?
tbh i don't see what the problem is
yV8PMPZ.png

re: phantom force, what if it just made ghosts invisible? invisibility was removed with phasing, but i think it was way less OP and weird than phasing was. invisibility is pretty easily countered with foresight/odour sleuth/miracle eye, as well as rain, sandstorm, sand attack, etc. for flavour you could always say that the light reflecting off the pokemon's body was sent to the GHOST DIMENSION. because that's how science works, right

Well, I imagine the victim would be struggling. Not like Struggle, but at least flailing around. Also the victim quite possibly being heavy is still a problem.
If it was something like uh an Aerodactyl Sky Dropping a Jumpluff, I might let it go on for an action or two more, but under most circumstances I think Sky Drop won't be able to go longer than 2.

I think the Pokemon will simply be unable to touch each other until the ghost returns, barring things like No Guard.

In doubles, at least, there are some interesting things you can do with lifting your ally into the air, in which case the "victim" would not be struggling. idk, in my battle vs Eifie, Metallica Fanboy reffed it so that that worked for at least one more action than it technically should have.

I just closed an archived battle where one Pokémon was holding a Lucky Egg and hadn't scored any KOs. Do I go with the old Lucky Egg effect, or the new one?

What's the energy cost for Destiny Bond? Equal to half the damage the target needs to inflict to knock out the user, at a guess? Not that it matters since the instance I'm going to have to ref is pretty definitely going to end up with the user fainting in the subsequent action, making its energy redundant, but having the answer here for precedent would be handy I guess.

EDIT: and do Destiny Bond revenge-kills count as KOs and award EXP?

Last edited:
Destiny bond seems like it'd be pretty hard to use successfully, but even so it's absurdly powerful and should pretty clearly be nerfed. I'd say that it should definitely be bound by damage caps (it can't be spammed like OHKOs, sure, but it's a similar principle, and it's easier to use when you're in the right situation) at minimum. Possibly, going by the energy cost thing, it could also be bound by the user's remaining energy? If energy cost is going to be half the target's remaining health (when activated), then it should maximally be able to remove an amount of health equal to twice the user's remaining energy. Should also have a base cost of 4% as a short-duration move like taunt. (Or is it actually targeting the target's remaining energy, as implied by the description? It still should be cappable, either way.)

I'd also suggest that revenge-kills and successful suicidal attacks should reward KO exp/happiness if they do cause a KO, but not count as a win if they're both the last pokemon because they'd be counted as the user fainting first.

Why is Brick Break's base energy 4% instead of 5% when it has a secondary effect? (Actually, I guess this applies for basically all the moves with secondary effects that aren't the usual stats-lowering/status-inducing... I always thought those should still count.)

Suppose a Zubat (or anything with a similar evolution line) achieves the exp requirements to evolve into Golbat and the happiness requirements for Crobat in the same battle. Can it skip straight to being a Crobat, or must it battle as a Golbat first?

Back
Top Bottom