• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

Yeah, I figured; the description kind of makes it sound otherwise, though.

Hm, I think it should be clear enough that attacks that miss cost the same amount of energy? I tried changing it to "75% of the damage it would deal", but that made it sound like it would cost 75% of the damage it would deal without caps (though the damage itself would be affected by caps), so uh. I think the description is better off as it is now.

Does Recycle only restore actual held items, or can it also restore objects obtained from the arena? Because if it can, I think I may have found a way to break the food industry!

Since it did come up in the battle I'm reffing, although it didn't end up affecting much, I might as well clarify: does the Simple ability affect already-existing stat modifications? In-game, as of X/Y, according to Bulbapedia, it does, but there's really nothing to indicate either way in the database.

Bulbapedia article on Simple said:
The move Simple Beam can change the target Pokémon's Ability to Simple. Pokémon that receive Simple will not have pre-existing stat changes doubled.

Hm? It explicitly says that it doesn't affect existing changes right there.

Clarity in the database would be nice, though, yeah.

Does Recycle only restore actual held items, or can it also restore objects obtained from the arena? Because if it can, I think I may have found a way to break the food industry!

Only actual held items. Sorry, you'll have to find another way to break the food industry. :P
If a Pokemon manages to obtain an actual held item from the arena and hold it, then that can be recycled, however.

There is no upkeep cost because it's classified as having a short duration.

Damage and Energy Guide said:
3. Short-Duration Attacks

Some attacks cause effects that last for five actions or fewer, such as taunt, torment, encore, and haze. These attacks cost 4% energy, reduced by 1% if the attack is the same type as the user (e.g. it costs a dark type pokemon 3% energy to use taunt).

The think about Telekinesis is that even though it only lasts for three actions it involves using psychic energy to constantly keep the pokemon afloat throughout those three. In the current round I'm reffing it's only a matter of 2% energy and it doesn't affect the outcome of the reffing much, but I would like to know if there are exceptions to the set energy cost of short-duration attacks.

The only moves with upkeep cost should be the "upkeep attacks" which are light screen, reflect, and safeguard. The principle here is that the cost for those moves is spread out for multiple actions. Everything else is paid up-front, including weather and the like.

But there's ref's discretion and everything so you could make small modifications if you strongly feel that's necessary. Though if you want to treat it as having an upkeep cost for whatever reason, you should make sure the total cost is the same, just spread out. So it'd be 1-2% for the first action and then 1% each for the following actions if it's not disrupted. There's no need for it to have a large cost at the beginning if the user is continuing to feed energy into the move after it starts.

It's probably better to think of it as the user sends ~vague telekinetic energy~ with the properties of "lift this thing for a certain time period" at the target, since that'd explain how it can be reflected by magic coat, and how you can use psychic at something that you used telekinesis on. There are plenty of other psychic moves that have only an initial cost and then last a long time (the rooms, for example) so there's plenty of precedent for using a psychic move to start something but then letting it maintain itself for some period of time.

Does it cost 3% extra energy to do both parts of Bounce in one action, as with Fly, Dig, and Dive?

Back
Top Bottom