• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Rate the song above you

That was... Painfully cheezy. Like, it had a nice sound, but it was just so... Ugh.
The whole 'faux-medieval' thing is just kind of gross.
I'll give it a 5/10 though, just because it was so over the top.

Also, what's the difference between all the types of metal and rock? 'Cause they all sound pretty similar to me.
Like, these are meant to be stoner rock? Or maybe punk rock? Or could it even be- You know? Also, Clutch is just amazing anyway, but still.

That was... Painfully cheezy. Like, it had a nice sound, but it was just so... Ugh.
The whole 'faux-medieval' thing is just kind of gross.
I'll give it a 5/10 though, just because it was so over the top.

Also, what's the difference between all the types of metal and rock? 'Cause they all sound pretty similar to me.
Like, these are meant to be stoner rock? Or maybe punk rock? Or could it even be- You know? Also, Clutch is just amazing anyway, but still.

Well, often the boundaries get pretty sketchy, but here's a rough idea - it's rock, normally. Metal usually requires gross amounts of distorted guitars (you can mix in clean ones, but the majority should be dun dun dun). It's basically cranking the amps all to eleven.

Then it depends on the type of metal you're playing, but metal loves dissonant sounds. Tritones, dissonant chords, dissonant scales - you name it, they love it. I can hear easily when something is a rock band e.g. Foo Fighters, and when it's a metal band e.g. Metallica or Iron Maiden.

Metal has many, many, subgenres, half of which mean nothing and most of which aren't all that different from each other. There's basically "extreme metal" (thrash, death, black), there's everything based on traditional heavy metal, and there's the doom/gothic/whatever variants with orchestras, female singers, symphonies, and if you speed it up x2 you get power metal usually.

I just usually go with a "metal vibe", or if there's a clearly defined sound, like black metal, for that.

It's all just names anyway.

Sweet duder, thanks.
I figured it was mainly just words. ;)

Rock and metal is a distinction you can validly make, and even one or two subgenres could be justifiable too. But as far as I am concerned a genre is only a roundabout way of saying "this sounds approximately like..." and most of the squabbling that goes on on metal forums is just... pointless. People just want to label everything, and I guess that's their good right. To me, I use genre as a descriptor of a vibe - saying something sounds bluesy or jazzy means something in musical terms. Saying it's got a metal vibe does too.

But symphonic melodic death metal - eh?????????

On topic - I liked Devin more when he was doing bullshit about Ziltoid. I also applaud the guy who posted a Mastodon song cos I am obsessed with them lately.

6/10

The Police - Can't Stand Losing You

On topic - I liked Devin more when he was doing bullshit about Ziltoid. I also applaud the guy who posted a Mastodon song cos I am obsessed with them lately.

6/10

The Police - Can't Stand Losing You

Ziltoid the Omniscient is Devin's best album for me, without a doubt. But his older stuff, like Ocean Machine, and his albums with Strapping Young Lad are all great too.

7/10 Didn't do too much for me, but its still an okay song.

Anathema - Better off Dead (Bad Religion cover)

Back
Top Bottom