• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sexuality

Sexuality?

• I am heterosexual.

Votes: 99 44.8%
  • I am homosexual.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • I am bisexual.

Votes: 42 19.0%
  • I am pansexual.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • I am asexual.

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 33 14.9%

• Total voters
There are quite a few people who are fully aware that gender is not a binary, but are only attracted to the far male end and far female end of the spectrum and call themselves bisexual. Just because someone calls themselves bisexual does not mean that they are unaware of the gender spectrum.
Yes.

... and?

Dinru said:
There are quite a few people who are fully aware that gender is not a binary, but are only attracted to the far male end and far female end of the spectrum and call themselves bisexual. Just because someone calls themselves bisexual does not mean that they are unaware of the gender spectrum.

so yeah this is pretty much how I feel! the word 'bisexual' does suggest there is a gender binary even though there isn't one; but honestly what other words can I use to say 'I like men and ladies but notsomuch inbetween'?

to be honest I'm not sure what your point is.
Ryubane suggested that bisexual implies there is a gender binary. I explained why this is not the case. I have no idea what Dinru was actually trying to say there. Bisexual just means you like cisgendered males and females. It doesn't mean there is a binary.

Bisexual is a convenient term for saying that you could be potentially attracted to cisgendered males and females, just as pansexual is a convenient term for saying you could be potentially attracted to someone of any gender.

But bisexual does imply a gender binary - hence the 'bi'. it suggests there are two genders only. I'm not saying that there are two genders, but I'm sure that it's a fairly outdated term anyway.

edit: you know what nevermind because Ryubane just explained what I'm trying to say but better. :I

what would you propose in place of "bisexual", then? find me a working prefix that doesn't suggest a binary and I'll shut up

The fact that you used the word 'decide' tells me you're thinking about this the wrong way.

Oh, but please tell me what i do not understand? I agree, i do not understand some things properly. But to understand them i have to know what i did wrong. :3

Yes. The definition of being bisexual, of course, is that I am only attracted to cisgendered males and cisgendered females. Which, in the case of attraction, is only a binary and I am not attracted to anything in between, hence why I implied said binary. I know full well about what lies in between, it's just not within my spectrum.

YMMV, of course. Please understand. :)

You should've phrased it as such then to avoid insulting genderqueers. Sorry for being blunt, but I rather hate the pretentiousness in the attitudes in a lot of bisexuals. (e.g. "I swing both ways", etc.)

(Sidenote: Also please try to avoid using acronyms that have to be looked up to understand.)

Bisexual is a convenient term for saying that you could be potentially attracted to cisgendered males and females, just as pansexual is a convenient term for saying you could be potentially attracted to someone of any gender.

But bisexual does imply a gender binary - hence the 'bi'. it suggests there are two genders only. I'm not saying that there are two genders, but I'm sure that it's a fairly outdated term anyway.

No, it does not imply there is a gender binary. It implies you like two genders.

what would you propose in place of "bisexual", then? find me a working prefix that doesn't suggest a binary and I'll shut up
Uh, the term is fine. People just need to stop misinterpreting it.

No, it does not imply there is a gender binary. It implies you like two genders.
... is that not a binary? o.o how can you say that I like two genders when it's a spectrum and not imply that gender is also a binary?

... is that not a binary? o.o how can you say that I like two genders when it's a spectrum and not imply that gender is also a binary?
That's like saying if you're heterosexual, only one gender exists.

Binary in computing is 0s and 1s. It doesn't include 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, etc. Just because you may only like the 0s and 1s doesn't mean everything else isn't there. They still exist; it is not a binary period.

You should've phrased it as such then to avoid insulting genderqueers. Sorry for being blunt, but I rather hate the pretentiousness in the attitudes in a lot of bisexuals. (e.g. "I swing both ways", etc.)

(Sidenote: Also please try to avoid using acronyms that have to be looked up to understand.)

I know many, many, many bisexuals, and all of them are extremely annoyed by the attitudes of other people who say that about bisexuals. Most of the time other people are like "So-and-so swings both ways" but the bisexual person obviously knows that isn't really how it works and is usually very annoyed. Maybe it's just that we've met totally different kinds of bisexual.

YMMV is a really well-known acronym by the way. o.o

-Blink blink.-

Well. I picked bisexual on this poll, although I am somewhere inbetween that and the "I don't know" category. I find males and females equally attractive (I've dated both, done sexual things with both), though it's personality that counts the most for me. Even so, I think the last guy I was seeing ...Broke me, or something. I really, really loved him. I invited him into my home, gave him my trust, and, long story short, he pretty much lead me on, used me for sex, "officially" got a girlfriend nearly a year later, and expected me to be fine with all of this. I admit, I was completely stupid. I shouldn't have put up with it for so long, but he wasn't clear with me. Ever. I always thought something would change.

Well anyway, I told him I wouldn't be seeing or communicating with him very much ever again. I'm over him now, and I can say that with confidence, but I haven't felt attraction toward ANYONE since then. There's been one or two people interested in me, and they're awesome people, but I'm just..Not remotely interested. Not even in like a "Hey let's fool around just for fun" sort of way.

I want to chalk it up to me not having met the right person, but I'm also wondering if something in me changed since that incident with Mr. Douchebag. I'm rambling now. -Skitters out of thread.-

Transgendered people are as much of a man or woman as any cisgendered people though

I never indicated otherwise although technically regardless of the amount of surgical procedure done a transgenders' original gender will always still linger in some form even if it is merely in the DNA as DNA is will always reflect the original gender as that is obviously impossible to change. What I meant however is for example sometimes the genitals will not be changed. Thus technically they are not fully either gender(or perhaps more their birth gender than the preferred), but of course are still people nonetheless.

I never indicated otherwise although technically regardless of the amount of surgical procedure done a transgenders' original gender will always still linger in some form even if it is merely in the DNA as DNA is will always reflect the original gender as that is obviously impossible to change. What I meant however is for example sometimes the genitals will not be changed. Thus technically they are not fully either gender(or perhaps more their birth gender than the preferred), but of course are still people nonetheless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender

I agree with Watershed. I feel like straight people are a minority on this forum D:.

Back
Top Bottom