• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sherlock Club

I know that Martin Freeman is just about the most adorable thing on the planet (observe), but damn if Benedict doesn't have his moments, too. For example! - Sherlock and Ben won the Golden Dagger awards for best show and best actor respectively and if you can watch that and not want to give him a big hug...

OH CRUMPETS.

How watched is the channel that Sherlock's airing on in the US? Will it bring in a bunch of new fans to the fandom, do you think?

The thing I love about the original Holmes books is, yes, they're written in a bit of an archaic style, but after about five minutes, you stop noticing. They're wonderful - all the prestige of a true classic, and none of the mind-numbing descriptions and horrendously slow pace and stupid old words nobody uses anymore (I'm not a Dickens fan).

I wonder how much of a plot the three-episodes thing really was. If memory serves, Moffat and Gatiss were planning to make six hour-long episodes, took the Pilot to the Beeb, who said "This is great! Now make three hour and a half-long ones!". Personally, I really like the extra half-hour, because it means we can spend time with the characters in a way that we wouldn't if they were shortened - things like John yelling at the self-service checkout (<3333) or Sherlock correcting the Belarusian prisoner's grammar are absolutely fantastic scenes that would be the first things to be cut because they don't actually help the plot in any way, despite being fantastic.

"WILL THEY EVER GET IT ON?! Just kiss him!" xD Oh my god I love this. And 'Oh, crumpets...' is the best swear ever.

What channel is it airing on in the US? Idk, I assume we'll get some new peoples to the fanbase, at least.

I also love the extra time to the episodes, it makes them really literally movies. Like - miniseries are very literally movies, but this one exemplifies that even more. It's like a trilogy, like the matrix or something, three parts, even with the second one being the worst. xD Which always happens!

Hehe, did anyone else watch tonight's Have I Got News For You? with Benedict as the host? It's on iPlayer and it's very funny stuff. They had a "Round of the Baskervilles" XD

I must make more effort to work "Oh crumpets" into my everyday verse.

I think I'm with Pentimento on this one, but the only trilogies I've seen are LotR and The Matrix (well. And High School Musical.), and in both I love the first most (because of the better character interaction) and then the third for the plot and action, with the middle one having a bit of both, but it's not as good as either. HSM has neither plot nor action, but I love it anyway XD

Just because I have to tell everyone about it - my friend came up from home to see me the other week and gave me my birthday present early and it was a bunch of in-character presents from the Sherlock cast. Complete with in-character wrapping and handwriting, Molly got me the first two Glee soundtracks, Mycroft got me some coasters for my tea, Jim got me a laser pointer, Mrs. Hudson got me some 'herbal soothers' (aniseed twists), John and Sherlock got me a small model of a London Bus and Lestrade, Donovan and Anderson sent a box of dinosaur-shaped biscuits from themselves and "the rest of Scotland Yard" XD So good.

Really? I find it's often the middle part of a trilogy that's the best.

Which trilogies are you thinking of? From what I've seen the second always seems to be a way of passing the time until the third.

Hehe, did anyone else watch tonight's Have I Got News For You? with Benedict as the host? It's on iPlayer and it's very funny stuff. They had a "Round of the Baskervilles" XD

I must make more effort to work "Oh crumpets" into my everyday verse.

I think I'm with Pentimento on this one, but the only trilogies I've seen are LotR and The Matrix (well. And High School Musical.), and in both I love the first most (because of the better character interaction) and then the third for the plot and action, with the middle one having a bit of both, but it's not as good as either. HSM has neither plot nor action, but I love it anyway XD

Just because I have to tell everyone about it - my friend came up from home to see me the other week and gave me my birthday present early and it was a bunch of in-character presents from the Sherlock cast. Complete with in-character wrapping and handwriting, Molly got me the first two Glee soundtracks, Mycroft got me some coasters for my tea, Jim got me a laser pointer, Mrs. Hudson got me some 'herbal soothers' (aniseed twists), John and Sherlock got me a small model of a London Bus and Lestrade, Donovan and Anderson sent a box of dinosaur-shaped biscuits from themselves and "the rest of Scotland Yard" XD So good.

Okay I am so jealous of your friends. ; ; You have awesome friends auhg.

And nooo I haven't seen HIGNFY I usually have to wait for the season to come out in order to download all of it. Unless you know of some other way to watch it? :[ Online? Idk. I hate living here. Blah.

Also:

tumblr_la8ba7Jmpa1qarpk2o1_500.gif

:D

Oh pft, I never cared much for Star Wars. :[ But still that's just one trilogy, while for most of them the second is always the worst.

My definitive favorite of the Lord of the Rings movies is actually The Two Towers. I just enjoyed the hell out of all the buildup and general epicness of the battle and there are scenes in it I just really, really love. Admittedly, I've only seen The Return of the King once.

Yeah, I love the length of the episodes. It allows so much more buildup and interaction and development and stuff. Though it does mean fewer episodes. Thank God for season two.

In-character presents sound made of win.

THAT CRUMPETS GRAPHIC MADE MY LIFE :DDDD

Have I Got News For You? linkage, for anyone who wants it. The high point is Benedict saying "a damn good shag", which I keep laughing far too much over.

My favourite LotR was Fellowship, for the epic, epic scenery and general lightheartedness.

I found an article in the Radio Times (yes, I read the Radio Times. I get it mostly so I can cut out all the pictures of Stephen Fry and add them to the not-at-all-creepy collage I'm making on my wall) about how Sherlock wouldn't get made (certianly wouldn't get made in the same format) in the US, and it's only the BBC that allows the high-quality, lengthy-episode miniseries to be made, allowing writers to make more creative, daring desicions about things like episode numbers/lengths. I'll scan it if I can find it.

I can't wait for series 2... D:

Omg Dannichu have I mentioned that I love you ; ; BECAUSE I DO. I should have known youtubes would have it, everything's on the youtubes. Eeee. <333

"So far the only miner to emerge from the tube with a beard!"

"Is that the woman that put the cat in the bin?"

Ahg. Too good.

Last edited:
Heee, you're welcome <333 I love HIGNFY at the best of times, though having Benny present it is a lovely bonus. When my bestie lived in London, we'd go to recordings from time to time and it was excellent.

"Did you win? I'm made of cheese!"

If anyone's interested, someone on the Sherlock comm on LJ has kindly compiled a neat little list of all upcoming appearances of the Sherlock crew on TV (though I don't know how easy they'll be to find online, especially the radio stuff) here.

Want to know something fun? About half the music on my computer is made up of Sherlock fanmixes. Granted, I've only had the thing for a month or so and haven't put all my music on, but still. I really love fanmixes - they're a really underappreciated part of fandom, and an excellent way to get introduced to new music :D

I Can't Decide by Scissor Sisters is Moriarty's theme song and I can't get it out of my head DX

Last edited:
HIGNFY is awesome I'm so excited the season has started and that I can now watch it on youtube, lol.

I've never been into fanmixes but I doooo love the Scissor Sisters. :D And am currently listening to I Can't Decide, yesss. Ahaha it does so fit. Oh god. ... Too perfect wow. Okay I might have to get into fanmixes. Thaaaanks for that.

Yes, yes you should :D

Ben did an interview with USA Today about Sherlock, presumably because it'll be airing over there in a very short while. It's a really good interview, actually; my thoughts on the RDJ film are pretty much the same as his. The comments are a bit depressing, though, with so many people unwilling to even give it a go. Why are people so scared of the updating?

I've been reading reviews of the show on places like amazon, and so many of them (nearly universally positive) begin with "At first I was skeptical..." - I wasn't, and I like to consider myself a proper Sherlock Holmes fan!

Lololol at the people who said "It will Flop like a fish and is taken off the air with a whimper, not a bang. Not even a full season." and "This modernization is nothing more than a poor attempt at cashing in on the CSI Forensic" craze.", though. Someone should explain the concept of The BBC to these people.

"It will Flop like a fish and is taken off the air with a whimper, not a bang. Not even a full season."

Then they will hear only three episodes aired and assume it was cancelled.

Also, it hurts me deep inside to see Eliot mangled so horrifically. :(

Yes, yes you should :D
Lololol at the people who said "It will Flop like a fish and is taken off the air with a whimper, not a bang. Not even a full season." and "This modernization is nothing more than a poor attempt at cashing in on the CSI Forensic" craze.", though. Someone should explain the concept of The BBC to these people.

Oh my god, people scare me. :[ I hate when things are judged without having been seen - really, why do people do that? It makes absolutely no sense. And a complete lack of knowledge of how British television works is ridiculous. :| Not everything is Hollywood, mmk. I'm not one to... generalize Americans, but really. America =/= the world.

Annnyhow.

That article was lovely. I love Benedict's weirdness, it sometimes seems like he exaggerates it because that's what's expected of a man playing Sherlock though. Still, I love it. And how many movies he's starring in that are coming out soon, so sweet. I can't wait. :D

Hee! At this very moment, Martin Freeman is a worldwide Tranding Topic on Twitter - he's been confirmed to play Bilbo in the film version of The Hobbit.

Apparently, there's a whole mess of stuff going on with that film in regards to funding and time scheduling and what have you, but more Martin can't be a bad thing, right?

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, I can totally picture him being the best and most adorable Bilbo ever.

So I think I've had about enough of everyone having kittens over this "Sherlock" nonsense and having no idea what's going on, and I guess I'll be attempting to watch this Sunday assuming I can do that and wade through gross production team homework at the same time. This is still going to be entertaining to someone who hasn't really read much of the originals, right? It looks like half the enjoyment you people are getting out of this is how well they managed to follow Doyle's stories.

(also there is going to be a Hobbit movie what since when? no one tells me anything! orrr maybe I just avoid celebrity and entertainment news like the plague but)

This is still going to be entertaining to someone who hasn't really read much of the originals, right? It looks like half the enjoyment you people are getting out of this is how well they managed to follow Doyle's stories.

The only Sherlock-related thing I'd ever seen before uh, the BBC Sherlock was the RDJ one, which I definitely did not see because it was about SH. So I wasn't, and still don't enjoy the series because it's about SH; it's just a gorram awesome show. I got into reading and obsessing over Sherlock because of it, not vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom