• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggest Movies for Me

I would recomend Action movies, if you are into action:

Batman Rises
Expendables 1 or 2
Paranormal Activity 1, 2 or 3
Saw 1-7
Jason X
Judge Dredd
any more needed?

I wish I could remember dr strangelove >:/ i watched it once but i was exhausted when i did and so i fell asleep and missed most of it ; ;

I can second Shutter Island (quite like that one), of course Fight Club (I left it out because it had been mentioned already), Princess Bride, Spirited Away, and the first part of the Matrix trilogy (2 is acceptable and 3 is shit).

If you haven't seen this already DO IT. DO IT NOW.

MY NAME IS...

From your to-watch list, I heartily recommend In Bruges. Then, if you like it, watch Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and after that, Snatch. They are the blackest of comedies, but they are great. Imagine The Italian Job directed by Tarantino, but even better than either.

(jk, nothing's better than The Italian Job (the original one with Michael Caine for course))

If they're too dark, Hot Fuzz is much more 'comedy' than 'black' and is absolutely brilliant.

And The Wicker Man remake deserves all the mockery it can get, but the original is really great. I love Christopher Lee.

Last edited:
Yeah, I updated my to-watch list because I'd already watched most of the movies on it. It now includes:

Full Metal Jacket [✓]
The Shawshank Redemption [✓]
Johnny Got His Gun [✓]
A Clockwork Orange [✓]
Citizen Kane [✓]
Donnie Darko [✓]
The Prestige [✓]
American Psycho [✓]
In Bruges [✓]
Reservoir Dogs [✓]
Fight Club [✓]
Goodfellas [✓]
Memento [✓]
Dr. Strangelove [✓]
Requiem for a Dream [✓]
Trainspotting [✓]
Pan's Labyrinth [✓]
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind [✓]
The Royal Tenenbaums [✓]
Blade Runner [✓]
The Shining [✓]
American History X [✓]

Last edited:
Hmmm, moar suggestions VM?

How about Young Frankenstein, if you haven't seen it of course. Twelve Angry Men is another good one. Another old one is My Favorite Brunette.

You may also want to add Alfred Hitchcock's "big three" to your list as well: Psycho, Rear Window and Vertigo. Psycho is pretty much a must-watch classic psychological horror movie, Rear Window has a really fun and cool premise, and Vertigo has the story and a really haunting, eerie atmosphere, and all of them of course have lots of suspense.

I haven't seen the Back to the Future films anywhere here. Those are three of the greatest films I've ever watched and if you haven't seen them yet, watch them in order, it's vital you watc them in the right order.

Also, as has been mentioned, Inglorious is a very good films, as is Reservoir Dogs, which is just like Pulp Fiction, which is probably better if I'm honesy. Away from Tarantino, someone mentioned Hot Fuzz which is hilarious. If you watch that, you should watch Shaun of the Dead as well, that's Pegg and Frost too and is better in my opinion.

Also, Harry Brown is one of the most powerfully moving films I've ever watched and quite graphic too. It stars Sir Michael Caine which automatically makes it amazing. And the Nolan Batman films are epic. Oh god, I fear I will never stop.

The Underworld series can be quite enjoyable. Could use some work what with the cliches and whatnot but it's not so bad.

Also The Twilight Saga is ridiculously fun to watch with a best buddy or ten.

I suggest Alien trilogy, fantastic horror sci-fi.

Trilogy? What trilogy? It's a good thing they never made an Alien 3, because that would have been a complete disaster and undermined everything good about the first two.

Go watch Moonrise Kingdom. Or any Wes Anderson film, for that matter.

Oh, look, now I'm recommending movies for you guys.
I personally found Moonrise Kingdom to be underwhelming; or maybe it was just because I gave in to all the overhyping, overrating of it and had too high expectations?

Rushmore kinda also failed to deliver for me though.

But The Royal Tenenbaums is a masterpiece at least.

Have you seen Brazil? It is a fantastic dystopian film. Last term I ran a history-of-SF-cinema series of film nights, so I can also recommend Metropolis and The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Blow, about how cocaine arrived in the United States, is an excellent film.

If you can find it, Seven Psychopaths, the new film from the director of In Bruges, is amazeballs. I'm not sure how long it takes a film to get online these days, I only saw it in the cinema a week or two ago though.

Back
Top Bottom