• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Tell me some good musics

Ryan the Terrible

Because I want a more diverse and probably a bit less mainstream taste in music. I thought I might have done this here before but I guess not...I've done it on a couple forums to not much avail. I like a lot of alternative, a bit of prog and trip-hop...well here, just have a list:

Arctic Monkeys
Breaking Benjamin
Coldplay
Crash Kings
Depeche Mode
Dream Theater
Franz Ferdinand
Gorillaz
Green Day
Lady Gaga
Linkin Park
The Mars Volta
Metric
Muse
My Chemical Romance
Nine Inch Nails
No Doubt
Paramore
Portishead
Radiohead
Silversun Pickups
Sleigh Bells
The Smashing Pumpkins
The Rasmus
Three Days Grace
White Lies
Yellowcard

I had a humongous list, but I only kept the ones I've at least somewhat gotten into. I own at least one full album by all of these. So recommend stuff that you think I would like based on the above. GO.

Spoon is better than all of those. >:I Go listen to Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, as I think it's the general consensus that it's their best album. Girls Can Tell is my favorite though. Kill The Moonlight might be their "other" best one, but I like a couple songs less from that one than I do Girls Can Tell.

I like a ton of stuff too but I suggest Spoon to you in particular because the friend who introduced me to Spoon is also a fan of Franz Ferdinand.

If you like the idea of a darker Paramore with better lyrics, check out Flyleaf. It's officially "Christian rock" but it's really nothing like anything else from that crap genre I've ever heard and they don't like being referred to as that.

Quite dark themes and at times it gets quite metally, but just envision a less cheerful, heavier Paramore. Recommending them because I'm hooked on Flyleaf at the moment. :P

Spoon is better than all of those. >:I Go listen to Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, as I think it's the general consensus that it's their best album. Girls Can Tell is my favorite though. Kill The Moonlight might be their "other" best one, but I like a couple songs less from that one than I do Girls Can Tell.

I like a ton of stuff too but I suggest Spoon to you in particular because the friend who introduced me to Spoon is also a fan of Franz Ferdinand.

Thanks for the recommendation, they're really good. :D Finer Feelings is probably my favorite that I listened to, something about it is just awesome.

If you like the idea of a darker Paramore with better lyrics, check out Flyleaf. It's officially "Christian rock" but it's really nothing like anything else from that crap genre I've ever heard and they don't like being referred to as that.

Quite dark themes and at times it gets quite metally, but just envision a less cheerful, heavier Paramore. Recommending them because I'm hooked on Flyleaf at the moment. :P

I had already heard a couple of their songs, but I just looked up more of their stuff and WOW THEY'RE AMAZING. I've pretty much thought of them as just another average alternative band, but they are fantastic. ._.

Linkin Park
Green Day
Breaking Benjamin
Three Days Grace

^_^ You already have my top four bands on your list.

Based on that:

Skillet
Rise Against
Evanescence
Cage the Elephant
Coheed and Cambria
The Script
The All-American Rejects

Linkin Park
Green Day
Breaking Benjamin
Three Days Grace

^_^ You already have my top four bands on your list.

Based on that:

Skillet
Rise Against
Evanescence
Cage the Elephant
Coheed and Cambria
The Script
The All-American Rejects

I already know all of those bands, here's the breakdown:

Skillet - Sounds pretty meh based on what I've heard, but I'll listen to some more just to be sure.

Rise Against - see Evanescence

Evanescence - see Cage the Elephant

Cage the Elephant - see Coheed and Cambria

Coheed and Cambria - I am in love with what I've heard and desperately need to hear more.

The Script - I'll have to get back to you on Skillet and The Script. Sorry, I'm short on time at the moment. :\ But what I've heard from them so far sounds pretty good.

All-American Rejects - I used to like them, but I sort of got bored with them. Not my kind of music I guess...

GREEN DAY

GREEN DAY

AND GREEN DAY

THEY'RE ON THE LIST, SEE. :D

I know them and love them.

You already have most of my favs there. If you are interested in harder music at all there is a band called A Dark Halo, they're pretty good. I like Skillet too.

Kerli. She is epic. She's like a Lady Gaga mixed with creepiness.
But you already have my favorite on your list!!
GAGA!! :D :D Best musician of all time, no matter what anyone says.
If you haven't heard Evanescence's song "Taking Over Me," you need to. It has 2000 plays on my iPod, and I've only had my ipod for 19 days.

On looking through my iPod, Katy perry has some great songs as well. As do the Killers.

Last edited:
Here's a few more suggestions, some [*] heavier than my previous list:

Trapt
Disturbed*
Apocalyptica*
Korn*
System of a Down*
Shinedown
Seether
Nickelback
Good Charlotte
Serj Tankian*
Billy Talent
Alien Ant Farm
Fall Out Boy
Killswitch Engage*
Bullet for my Valentine*
Scars on Broadway*
30 Seconds to Mars
Sonata Arctica*

Last edited:

I've heard one Kerli song a year or two and it was... memorable. I don't remember what it was actually called but I still remember most of the tune and I remember liking it. :v So seconding this one.

If you haven't heard Evanescence's song "Taking Over Me," you need to.

Since we're talking about Evanescence for a second, I'm going to shamelessly plug my favorite AMV/Evanescence combo since Taking Over Me used to also be my favorite before this one.

And if you're going to listen to Zangviper's recommendations let me plug Sonata Arctica at the end of his heavy list. I can't name many songs off the top of my head but Vixie knows like, every single one, so when I get the chance I'll shoo her over to this thread or something.

I had already heard a couple of their songs, but I just looked up more of their stuff and WOW THEY'RE AMAZING. I've pretty much thought of them as just another average alternative band, but they are fantastic. ._.

:D Yaaay! I'm glad to hear it! Which songs did you listen to by the way? (The one that got me hooked was All Around Me, it seems to be that way for a lot of people for some reason)

Blue October, anything by them. FULL LIST OF BADASS SONGS BY THEM:
calling you
come in closer
she's my ride home
libby i'm listening
overweight
x amount of words

and more but those would be like the best 5 to get into them. i'm sure they're all on youtube or somewhere

Porcupine Tree (prog rock/metal)
Pure Reason Revolution (prog rock meets electro)
later Anathema (alternative/atmospheric rock)
Sigur Ros (post-rock)
Bon Iver (indie)
God is an Astronaut (post-rock)
Animal Collective (indie)
The Dismemberment Plan (indie rock with a bit of hiphop)
Mogwai (post-rock)
Stone Sour (alt rock/metal)
A Perfect Circle (alt rock)
Anberlin (poprock/alt rock/whatever)
Blackfield (pop rock)
Coheed and Cambria (punk/emo/prog/alt/whatever)

IAMX.
My most favorite band ever. <3
They're not very well-known, led by the ex-lead singer of a band known as Sneaker Pimps named Chris Corner. He's a musical genius, his stuff is pretty dark lyrically but some of his songs are pretty upbeat with the tempo. All of the songs vary drastically, but they're pretty much incredible. :3

If you're into alternative, I would reccomend

Fall Out Boy and
Panic! At The Disco

other bands I would reccomend (i'm not sure what to categorize these as)

The Fray
O.A.R.
Green Day
Plain White T's

Sorry about the delay, I may have gone on vacation (and then forgot about it :$).

It would take forever to go down the whole list and give my responses, so here's the basic rundown:

Back to Zangviper:

It turns out I like Skillet a lot better than I had originally thought, but maybe that's just because a lot of the ones I liked this time were from their newest album, which didn't exist last time I tried getting into them. Either way I might try getting into them sometime.

I can't really decide whether or not I like The Script. They have some good songs, but then there are others that just kind of fall flat. The only one I like a lot is still the first one I heard, Breakeven.

@Charizard2K:

A Dark Halo isn't particularly bad, but on first impression they seem just a bit too dark for my tastes. That's not saying they don't have some good songs (Silence!), but as a band I'm not sure if I like them. See above for my opinion on Skillet.

@Little Monster:

On first impression, I really like Kerli. Walking On Air is my favorite right now I think. Gaga is amazing of course! I hadn't heard Taking Over Me, but now that I have I think it's my favorite Evanescence song. ^^ I have sort of a love/hate relationship with Katy Perry. At the moment she's pretty good. :P And The Killers are awesome from what I've heard so far, though some of what I've heard from their new album is not fantastic exactly.

@more Zangviper:

Not too much of a nu-metal fan, but there are a few bands I like from that genre. From your list I liked: Apocalyptica(!), SOAD, Seether, some of Nickelback's oldish stuff, Billy Talent, Alien Ant Farm, 30 Seconds to Mars, and Sonata Arctica.

@Alraunne:

I'm not quite sure what an AMV is :sweatdrop:, but I do like the song a lot. :D It seems like I've already given my opinion on everything else in your post. :\

@Cirrus:

When I first responded to your recommendation, I believe I had heard Again, All Around Me, I'm So Sick, and Beautiful Bride. I had already heard Again on the radio a lot, All Around Me was the first one I listened to from your rec, and I thought it was really good, then I'm So Sick caught me off guard and made me love them, and Beautiful Bride (which is still probably my favorite, though Tiny Heart might be replacing it) pretty much sealed the deal. Shortly after that I listened to Perfect and Chasm, and decided I should just get the albums. :D

They're both really good, but Memento Mori is by FAR better than the debut if you ask me.

And since my mother is currently nagging, I'll go find the rest of these recommendations on YouTube from my iPod.

Back
Top Bottom