• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Spriter's Showcase! Mk II

0wdfA.png

Hey I tried spriting again. This is a Fakemon of mine, and...idk it looks weird. Help?

0wdfA.png

Hey I tried spriting again. This is a Fakemon of mine, and...idk it looks weird. Help?

Looks good. Certainly better than anything I can do.

I think the tail turns to abruptly, and the red mane thingy comes up a bit too high. Judging from the concept art, the mane should be about level with the head.

I finally decided to finish a pixel-over of Flygon EX (and it only took a few years!). Since it took so long the lines are probably a little wonky in places, but oh well, can't really be bothered to fix now. I also apparently can't be bothered to make an actual thread.

otnhc3.jpg

I agree. But maybe more shades on the moltres's fire would make it awesomer
What do you mean exactly? On the tail, or in general? Fire has never been my strong point, and I'd love to improve on it.

@ Zero Moment: I used to, actually. I started the first Showcase on this version of the forums. Just fell out of habit. Suggestions for sprites would be cool.

Looking at those birds, I realized that's how they should have been designed.

@ Zero Moment: I used to, actually. I started the first Showcase on this version of the forums. Just fell out of habit. Suggestions for sprites would be cool.

Maybe you could do more legendaries "channeling" their types? That's kinda what you did with the bird trio, as compared to the "normal" sprites.

For Moltres, I'd say that the fire is perfect. It looks like it has blades of plasma sprouting from its wings.

What do you mean exactly? On the tail, or in general? Fire has never been my strong point, and I'd love to improve on it.
...Actually, looking at it again, I have to say the fire is awesome. Just maybe a little on the wings.
Ideas: same evolutionary family splices? I suck at sprite ideas.

I can only do fusions and recolors - my scratch spriting is terrible. (Not just bad, TERRIBLE.) The other day, I was looking at a sprite I got from a sprite shop on another forum (it was a Purrloin retype), and I decided to try a retype. What do you think?

mbl94j.jpg

Also have a free revamp:

nv1jlf.png

I feel like there's something wrong with it, but I can't figure out what...

Bulbasaur: You see the shading on the right of the face? It's diagonal, change it to match the face a little (curved.) Same thing with some of the shades on the bulb.

On Purrloins: Bug Purrloin should also have a second wing. Some shades on the outline for Ice Purrloin are too light; make additional shades. There's no outline on the bottom of Dragon Purrloin's left (our right) wing. If Flying Purrloin was sitting on a flat surface, some of its tail would be underground. Lavender Purrloin's tail is barely shaded.

Overall, nice work; just keep practicing.

Thanks so much, guys! Will repost when I've made more/improved them.

EDIT: You could tell which type they were all supposed to be, right?
EDIT 2: (From left to right, top to bottom) They were supposed to be Fire, Grass, Dark (made by accident while trying to make another type), Ghost, Dragon, Flying, Bug, and Ice.
EDIT 3: Um, any suggestions for how to shade the Ghost-type (lavender) Purrloin's tail better? The original Purrloin tail doesn't have any other shades in it, and everything I've tried looks bad. Also, there IS an outline on the bottom of Dragon Purrloin's wings; what do you mean?
EDIT 4: I tried fixes and made a water-type. Just realized it's not transparent (I use MS Paint, which has no transparency option), but it's only a minor fix, so oh well. May fix later.
p7sk3.png

EDIT 5: Don't want to double-post, so posting this random thing here.
x4g1oh.png

Splice of Surskit, Lombre, Combusken, and Claydol. This is why I never use love random.org.

Last edited:
On the new sprite, maybe the feathers on the head could be changed into leaves? (You don't see feathers on lilypads anywhere :P) and maybe you should scratch-shade?

Random sprite I made for fun (it's a flower or something like that with green petals)

lPQra.png

(used the leaves from petilil, grovyle, and oddish.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom