• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Spriter's Showcase!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tail was this length in the original art, but yes, now that you mention it, it is too short. It's also probably because of the wonky outlines in the middle of the tail. I'll fix that sometime. And it's probably the right wing finger-feather-thingies that are bothering you, since one of the 'fingers' are bent but the one next to it is completely straight. Once again, it was like that in the original art; tried to fix it, but it looked weird no matter what I did. :|

BUT. I'm back with another pixel-over! Dear God when will I stop

1z52bg2.jpg

Wild SpriteCritique appeared!

SpriteCritique used Critique!

I have to say, better than Lugia but there's too much dithering anyways. >.>

SpriteCritique used iLove!

I LOVE the pose.

The dithering near the mouth is completely unnecessary; I'd advise you either replace it with solid shade or remove it.

155p01f.jpg

I seem to be cranking out pixel-overs at a fast pace. I had trouble with the head on this one, and I had to take shading into my own hands, since the shading on the original art was a bit lacklustre.

The tail and head look fine to me. It's the angle that makes them "small" and I understand the angle it's at pretty well from looking at it.

I think there's a bit much white space, though, but that's just me. Maybe dither a little bit more with the lightest shade so it's less bleached looking? The outlines over the totally white areas could be lighter too.
Personally I would add some shading between the fingers on the right (our right, Lugia's left) hand, but that's just me.

I agree with Character that the dark dithering along the bottom of his snout isn't necessary and detracts from the sprite. I think it'd look better removed altogether as opposed to making it a solid shade instead, though. I'd also trim down the highlight on his right (our right, his left) a little bit but that's just me being nitpicky some moar.

You're quite good with these pixel overs. I love ones that manage to be small but still clear as to what's going on in them.

Last edited:
Haha, maybe I should tone down on the dithering? I'm unused to shading that's not smooth, so it's a matter of preference to me, I guess. Though if it bothers people so much I guess I should stop doing it so much :P

The original art I used for Lugia had close to zero shading, so I had to improvise myself a bit. I'll see what I can do to make it less bleached. I think I can get around to it tomorrow.

As for Octillery, there was a smudge of shadow on the bottom of its mouth, but it looked horrible solid, so I decided to dither. I'll see how it looks without the dithering. And I'll try to fix the lighting tomorrow as well.

Pro tip of the day: stop dithering so much!

No, I haven't fixed the other pixel-overs, unfortunately. I spent all today procrastinating and doing a pixel-over of this image, as per Fish and Ships' request.

Result:
2wlsil2.jpg

Yeah there's a lot of dithering whatever. I have mixed feelings about this - it was the hardest pixel-over I've had to do so far, so I'm glad I actually finished it. On the other hand, some outlines are wonky, some of the shades contrast too much (I decided only to use the colours found on Froslass's D/P and Platinum sprites), and her right hand just looks weird. It was covered in the original image, so I had to scratch it out myself, but it didn't turn out well.

...Ohkay... Yeah, there's too much dithering. I'd say take some of the red bits' dithering away. The rest is fine apart from some wonky outlines.

Erm, I appreciate your critique and all, but is it too much to ask for criticism on stuff other than my dithering? :v I don't know, this is probably a pet peeve since I consider dithering part of my style, but when I get "there's too much dithering" whenever I post another pixel-over, it kind of ticks me off.

A second revamp, huh? I have to admit, it's quite good... but there's not much shading. The finger on the bigger arm- the finger that's sticking up- I think the positioning looks odd.

There is shading, she just used a very light color.

And the point of a revamp is just to update an old sprite to a newer style, so there isn't much reason for her to reposition the finger.

A second revamp, huh? I have to admit, it's quite good... but there's not much shading. The finger on the bigger arm- the finger that's sticking up- I think the positioning looks odd.

I'm starting to get the feeling that you really don't know what you're talking about.

21cur1j.png

Random Yellow revamp I did. Cause I was bored.

The Yellow Gengar sprite actually works well with the G/S style shading, once you figure out where you want to put the color and dithering.

Erm, I appreciate your critique and all, but is it too much to ask for criticism on stuff other than my dithering? :v I don't know, this is probably a pet peeve since I consider dithering part of my style, but when I get "there's too much dithering" whenever I post another pixel-over, it kind of ticks me off.

I think you dither quite well, it's just the dark dithering on the Octillery's mouth that detracts. Some people are just "OMG DITHERING THAT IS BAD" be cause most people just don't dither that well.

I'm starting to get the feeling that you really don't know what you're talking about.

only just now?

Well if people think I don't know what I'm doing then I guess I shouldn't tell anyone my opinion then, huh?

If I'm told I don't know what I'm talking about when I try and give my opinion and try to be helpful, there's no point in even coming onto the Spriter's Showcase.

And why haven't you thought I don't know what I was doing before? Tell me that!

Aaaanyway, haven't sprited since yesterday and yesterday I came up with godawful stuff, so really I don't have anything to be critiqued.

NOW you had to be rude?
And I feel you're against me in EVERYTHING right now...
Nothing new either.

Damn morning crankiness from me...

You are a little young, so she didn't want to offend you. Same applies to me as well.

Trust me, just listen to any advice you are given. It'll help in the long run.

Got bored and decided to create my first sprite in... several months, a Blue Mewtwo revamp. Because I think this sprite of Mewtwo is one of the few good ones.

mewtworevamp.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom