• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Suggestion Box

It might disappoint people a tad less if all battles that begin before the benefit goes away are still claimable.

Also, on the topic/social group discussion: what about a social group with a stickied topic mentioning its existance? It combines the best elements of a social group with the visibility of a thread.

Ehhh, you're probably going to end up with a few odds-and-ends battles if you do that; you can't claim anything for a single battle, after all. I suppose it's fine, though; I don't really know that it will be useful to most people, though.

The idea was more "if it's going to be official, there will be a discussion thread; if a discussion thread is not a popular idea, then people who *do* want that sort of discussion can just start a social group." The social group would not be anything official, so I wouldn't be putting up an announcement endorsing it or anything.

I'd rather the ref claiming not be removed :E
to be honest, I'm kind of for it, because refs really do earn way more than regular players and refs nearly always dominate ASB. :| not everyone can ref well (read: me) and it's kind of sucky to be always behind refs because they get free pokemon and earn a lot more! I mean they do kind of keep ASB running and everything, but they're already at an advantage anyway!

I only get $4 per reffing thats not much how do you pay cut that

Meh, I don't really care too much about the battle-for-pokemon trade. Though I certainly could exploit it, there's really nothing I want right now.

Honestly, if the free pokémon claiming was abolished, I wouldn't mind much. When you have finished enough battles to buy you a rarity 8 poke, you probably have over $500 in your hands - so it doesn't matter much in the end.

The whole free pokémon thing has been superfluous ever since it was battles instead of rounds reffed, yeah. (And back then, admittedly, was insane. $25 for reffing once every two weeks...) I would probably never redeem everything ever if it didn't feel like it was going to disappear :D Not that I, er, benefit very much. Ahem.

Who, me? I'm barely even a ref...

In any case, quick search reveals that around seven pokémon were redeemed from battles ever since the Great Fire, between four people (one of them being me, yesterday), so clearly it hasn't been of great importance to anyone ever.

Hmm... well, I'd appreciate the reward being kept, honestly. While I haven't been able to get much out of it (mostly because I've only finished one battle), the boost would be appreciated.

Although I do understand where everyone else is coming from! There are a lot of rich referees; it's just that I happen to not be one of them that being approved doesn't always mean you make tons of money. Or maybe I just haven't been around as one long enough/haven't reffed enough battles; the money would probably pile up after a while but at the moment I only have $11 and I'm planning to give a $15 birthday gift. So! Moral of the story: Keep the benefit until Mai gets rich, then let it die because they'd have no use for it. Maybe make the benefit smaller, like quadruple the battles or something?

I like the idea of an ASB discussion thread/social group a lot, although I fear the social group would die very quickly. That sort of thing tends to happen.

Hmm... well, I'd appreciate the reward being kept, honestly. While I haven't been able to get much out of it (mostly because I've only finished one battle), the boost would be appreciated.

Although I do understand where everyone else is coming from! There are a lot of rich referees; it's just that I happen to not be one of them that being approved doesn't always mean you make tons of money. Or maybe I just haven't been around as one long enough/haven't reffed enough battles; the money would probably pile up after a while but at the moment I only have $11 and I'm planning to give a $15 birthday gift. So! Moral of the story: Keep the benefit until Mai gets rich, then let it die because they'd have no use for it. Maybe make the benefit smaller, like quadruple the battles or something?

I like the idea of an ASB discussion thread/social group a lot, although I fear the social group would die very quickly. That sort of thing tends to happen.
To be fair, many of the very rich referees have been around for a long time, or made a lot of their money through ways other than actually refereeing--Grate Aural Sects, for example, used to own the shop people bought pokémon from, which as you can imagine generated a great deal of income. Never mind, it's been pointed out to me that GAS had to restart at $45 in 2008. Clearly it's contributed a lot to the league in the past three years! But anyway, it's rare for a non-referee to have over $100, though, while most referees have well over that amount if they post fairly regularly. With the minimum award for a six-round 2vs2 battle being $34, almost enough to buy one of the most expensive pokémon in and of itself, it seems like things are a bit inflated. Although yeah, not as bad as it used to be, with the flat $25 per week if you reffed at least once.

The issue with the benefit is simply that nobody really does anything with it, so I don't see much point in keeping it. Quadrupling the battle requirement would only make this worse, I think.

Last edited:
Perhaps the award system could be changed to getting free pokemon based on rounds reffed, rather than battles? I don't have any stake in this, but it might be a fairer way of doing awards. It avoids the problems of the previous system, as well as letting it take less long to accrue rewards (if a ref does a lot of rounds, they can collect free pokemon sooner than if they had to wait until the match was over). It also provides incentive to ref faster.

I'm not interested in awards accruing faster, though; referees have enough benefits as it is.

The new referee pay rates will depend on the speed of reffing, so that should hopefully help to address the last point, there.

Well, there's no way to really reduce the pay significantly (as Superbird pointed out), but that's an interesting alternative. Would people prefer to be paid in bonus pokémon or items rather than money?

The new referee pay rates will depend on the speed of reffing, so that should hopefully help to address the last point, there.

... speed of reffing. ;~; That means most of us are doomed.

I'd be a nice incentive to get the league moving faster, but at the same time I hope the pay isn't decreased too much if we take an extra week or so? I find I just don't have much time to squeeze out a reffing and so I have to take longer than the usual time; I'm sure other refs would agree.

And to answer your question above, I'd rather be paid in money - makes gift-giving much easier, and hoarding is fun too. :D I wouldn't mind being paid in rare candies, though I don't think that's going to happen.

I like this idea a lot! It would probably help keep me moving.

I'd rather get paid in money. I don't see any point in paying me in stuff when the entire point of money is to get stuff; it's a small, silly constraint that would just complicate things.

Rare Candies sound awesome, though.

Also, finishing two battles will get you a five-dollar Pokémon. If you can finish two battles, you should have $5 to spare. And saving up for a Pokémon of any higher rarity saves you significantly less money per battle—you save $5 per two battles for a rarity one Pokémon, compared to $3.75 per two battles for a rarity eight Pokémon. And even less for anything in-between. Soooo yeah take it away if you want I guess; it'll barely make any difference.

Does this mean that one-day reffings will earn more than 7-day reffings, or that our pay can be reduced if we don't stay within DQ time?

Would also rather be paid in money. And I don't really care about the free Pokémon benefit. Removing it makes absolutely no difference to me.

Personally, I don't object to the reffing speed pay thing. But I have a lot of free time, so. I just need the motivation to post and that would be perfect for me.

I have no experience reffing, but once I can figure it out and get approved I'd much rather be paid in money. That way I can become an entrepreneur accommodate gifts, Black Market posts, etc. a lot easier, which is part of why I'm shooting for refereedom.

Back
Top Bottom