• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Unsolved Mysteries We Take for Granted

GigaNerd17

Webcomic Artist
There are a lot of things in Pokemon that have not been explained, but we take them for granted anyway. These unsolved mysteries include (but aren't limited to):

• Does the term "National Pokedex" imply that all the different regions are under a common government?
  • ....Now that I think about it, IS there a government? The closest thing we seem to get to a president is the Elite Four Champion. :/
  • Speaking of the Champion, why do we always rematch him/her every time we rebattle the Elite Four? Does he/she keep on stealing our title, or what?
  • Anyways, back to the government. If there IS a government at all, why don't they stop criminal groups like Team Rocket or Team Galactic? If I were the president, I wouldn't want crooks like those guys running around MY country.
  • If genderless Pokemon can't reproduce without Ditto, then why do more and more keep popping up? Do they have a secret stash of Dittos? O_O;
  • Also, if legendary Pokemon can't reproduce, why does everybody seem to have them?
  • I'm not trying to be inappropriate here, but I find it quite strange that girls start growing boobies at age 10. O_o;
  • And why do parent let their kids go off into the world at age 10? Kids don't know how to take care of themselves all alone!
  • There seems to be a lack of regular animals (EG: pigs, cows, etc.) So.... what do people eat? Do they feast on Pokemon? :O
  • Why do you deposit letters on your PC? Wouldn't it be easier just to invent e-mail?
  • We find lots of fossils of Kabuto, Lileep, Cranidos, etc. But what about their evolutions? Only one Kabutops fossil has been found, and I can't seem to find any fossils of Armaldo or Omystar!
  • On a similar note, these fossil Pokemon shouldn't have been the ONLY Pokemon back then. Surely, there were other Pokemon species too, right? Why can't we find any fossils of Pokemon such as Yanmega or Magikarp?
  • Also, why open museums that only have 2-3 exhibits? The Pewter City Museum, the Oreburgh Coal Museum, the Slateport Museum.... all of those are quite pathetic compared to the Smithsonian. Why bother building useless museums?
  • Speaking of buildings.... I have yet to see a house that includes a bathroom! :O
  • Berry trees have a wide range of leaf colors. Blue, pink, orange, etc. So.... why are all of the boundary trees green? Why not have some red pine trees? Or purple bushes? Or black grass? Why are all the trees GREEN???
  • Some trainers are known as "Psychics." They usually have psychic Pokemon. So.... unless their names are purposely misleading, it would seem that these "Psychics" have psychic powers, right? How did they acquire these psychic abilities?
  • How the heck does a Zubat or a Pidgey use fly to carry a human to another city? Even if they are Pokemon, they would clearly collapse with the effort?
  • How does a Pokemon use Surf inside a building? Does it call upon the power of plumbing facilities?
  • How do you travel between regions? I find it very doubtful that Professor Oak walks between Kanto and Johto. It even sounds questionable to take a boat between Hoenn and Sinnoh!
  • If so many people ride bikes (and even a few motorcycles), then why aren't there more roads? Surely, your grandpa isn't going to risk going through the tall grass just to get to the next town!
  • Where do people buy there groceries? The PokeMarts seem to only sell adventure supplies. :/
  • Every time you beat a trainer, you get prize money. The thing is.... where do they get that kind of cash? And how do items such as the "Luck Incense" double your prize money? Do they hypnotize the trainer into emptying his/her wallet?
  • It has been mentioned in the early games that Mew originated in South America. How does this work?
  • Deoxys is clearly NOT of the game's planet, yet it is still a Pokemon. Does this imply that Pokemon originated elsewhere in the universe AND THEN arrived on this planet?

Maybe some freak genius like Butterfree can figure this out! :D

So.... if you have any other possible mysteries you'd like to post, go ahead!

FUN TIME.
-Satoshi Tajiri bases Pokemon in Japan, believe it or not. The regions are all modeled off of it. He wanted to be a bit creative however and give them all different names.
-Pokemon are apparently defined by being creatures with strange powers and abilities, so it's quite possible there's other places with them by definition.
-The government is a dictatorship, the professor of each region is the ruler of it, notice it's only the professors that go from region to region to talk with other professors? They also kinda lay down the rules. In Platinum, Professor Rowan sends the secret police to stay around you in case you run into any criminals, basically, the professor has it all. :3
-Bathrooms? They just use the back yard. :3
-You yourself aren't allowed to reproduce legendaries, the game hates you as such. Keep in mind that in one of the shows, there were baby Lugia.
-People even read the letters? Also, they have email, but they aren't gonna say anything to you.
-The fossilized pokemon are special, they were driven to extinction. As the other pokemon are still around, they just throw out the fossils of them.
-Berry trees are a special kind, they aren't even normal plants, why else would the tree die and disappear as soon as you picked the berries?
-Amulet Coin is waved back and forth to hypnotize, Luck Incense puts them in a stupor, in that amount of time, you steal another helping of their money. Seems like something a 10 year old might do, right?
-By 10 years old, the parents are fed up with the child, they prefer to only raise pokemon, so if they can, they just kick out the kid and then pretend to miss them.
-Museum owners are too poor to afford anything else, thus is why they make you pay upon entry.
-Psychics have psychic pokemon cause they like them. You should see what happens there when you're not looking. >:3
-Zubats and Pidgeys are fed steroids before flight.
-I think that boats are the motive of transportation from region to region without a flying pokemon. You can't normally fly to other regions cause the professor wouldn't like that.
-Girls at age 10 get transplants, see banned episodes on Serebii.
-The Elite Four actually hate you and therefore keep the same person, who was someone they liked, as champion.
-Genderless pokemon can do the same as legendaries, but you can't cause Satoshi says so.

it's a game

If you guys are going to take it so seriously, maybe I should close the thread. -_-;

-The government is a dictatorship, the professor of each region is the ruler of it, notice it's only the professors that go from region to region to talk with other professors? They also kinda lay down the rules. In Platinum, Professor Rowan sends the secret police to stay around you in case you run into any criminals, basically, the professor has it all. :3
-Girls at age 10 get transplants, see banned episodes on Serebii.

I knew those professors were up to something! :O

Also, do these girls' parents give them PERMISSION to get transplants? I find that hard to believe. :/

Thanks for the answers anyways! I found most of them pretty funny! :D

Also....

Sometimes, you'll see two guys in the overworld trading Pokemon. Why are they always holding GameBoys?

In almost every game, the player has a game system at his/her house. But they never tell us where Nintendo HQ is in the Pokemon world (or even if there IS one.)

-By 10 years old, the parents are fed up with the child, they prefer to only raise pokemon, so if they can, they just kick out the kid and then pretend to miss them.

This is my favorite answer.

As for the Nintendo HQ, it's really Silph and Devon, they just have the disguises of Silph and Devon Corperations so that they don't get attacked by people who want things to go their way in games. Not to mention to hide from Sony.

Silph Co. and Devon Corp. Well, actually, the Nintendo HQ is located in Lilycove. Even if the only people you find are the game designers.

There are a lot of things in Pokemon that have not been explained, but we take them for granted anyway. These unsolved mysteries include (but aren't limited to):

• Does the term "National Pokedex" imply that all the different regions are under a common government?

Like Zoltea said, it's modeled off the real world, and all the real world land is occupied by nations, so the Pokemon world is too. It's just not apparent.

• ....Now that I think about it, IS there a government? The closest thing we seem to get to a president is the Elite Four Champion. :/

Well, there are police, which could be private, but it's more likely they're government controlled. Maybe the gym leaders are like the mayors of the town? and the E4 some sort of regional council? I don't know.

• Speaking of the Champion, why do we always rematch him/her every time we rebattle the Elite Four? Does he/she keep on stealing our title, or what?

I think the idea is that you are the official champion, but you's like to keep travelling, so the previous one gets to be acting champion. And since you're the champion you can battle whoever you want basically, and they're the strongest, so you'll obviously have to battle them for a challenge.

• Anyways, back to the government. If there IS a government at all, why don't they stop criminal groups like Team Rocket or Team Galactic? If I were the president, I wouldn't want crooks like those guys running around MY country.

Gangs exist. Just because there are police doesn't mean that they're good at stopping Team Rocket. (Or, the existence of TR doesn't rule out governmental law enforcement.

• If genderless Pokemon can't reproduce without Ditto, then why do more and more keep popping up? Do they have a secret stash of Dittos? O_O;

Budding?

• Also, if legendary Pokemon can't reproduce, why does everybody seem to have them?

What? Who has them?

• I'm not trying to be inappropriate here, but I find it quite strange that girls start growing boobies at age 10. O_o;

As Zeta said, it's not uncommon. And, um, May doesn't count. She's a
    mutant.

• And why do parent let their kids go off into the world at age 10? Kids don't know how to take care of themselves all alone!

Because Nintendo wanted the target audience to be able to picture themselves as trainers, which were ten year olds.

No idea, actually. Maybe the whole society is set up to care for young travellers.

• There seems to be a lack of regular animals (EG: pigs, cows, etc.) So.... what do people eat? Do they feast on Pokemon? :O

There's fish. They eat fish. And I'm sure they probably raise Miltank or Mareep for food somewhere. And you don't have to eat meat.

• Why do you deposit letters on your PC? Wouldn't it be easier just to invent e-mail?

Yes. Unless you wanted the receiver to be able to replicate an exact, physical copy of your letter, which seems a little much, but you never know.

• We find lots of fossils of Kabuto, Lileep, Cranidos, etc. But what about their evolutions? Only one Kabutops fossil has been found, and I can't seem to find any fossils of Armaldo or Omystar!

Maybe they just evolved very rarely without aid of a trainer. Maybe they functioned a little differently because of their ancientness. Creatures evolve over time.

• On a similar note, these fossil Pokemon shouldn't have been the ONLY Pokemon back then. Surely, there were other Pokemon species too, right? Why can't we find any fossils of Pokemon such as Yanmega or Magikarp?

The fossils are probably from a long way back, before Yanmega or Magikarp evolved. We don't expect human fossils along with dinosaurs.

• Also, why open museums that only have 2-3 exhibits? The Pewter City Museum, the Oreburgh Coal Museum, the Slateport Museum.... all of those are quite pathetic compared to the Smithsonian. Why bother building useless museums?

It's a game. Don't ask me why they included them if they weren't going to bother to make them big, but it's a game.

• Speaking of buildings.... I have yet to see a house that includes a bathroom! :O

Chamberpot?

• Berry trees have a wide range of leaf colors. Blue, pink, orange, etc. So.... why are all of the boundary trees green? Why not have some red pine trees? Or purple bushes? Or black grass? Why are all the trees GREEN???

The boundary trees aren't berry trees. Berry trees are fairly rare, and seem to prefer fieldy areas rather than forests.

• Some trainers are known as "Psychics." They usually have psychic Pokemon. So.... unless their names are purposely misleading, it would seem that these "Psychics" have psychic powers, right? How did they acquire these psychic abilities?

Just because they're 'psychics' doesn't mean they have psychic powers. Just ask contemporary psychics. Most of them don't have provable powers, yet they're still called psychics. And if they really do have powers, how does one acquire any skill? They learn about it. Find a teacher, etc.

• How the heck does a Zubat or a Pidgey use fly to carry a human to another city? Even if they are Pokemon, they would clearly collapse with the effort?

Pokemon are much, much stronger than real animals. And cities are a lot closer. Although there is a certain limit to the amount of muscle that can be packed into a small bird, Pokemon or not. This is probably another "it's a game."

• How does a Pokemon use Surf inside a building? Does it call upon the power of plumbing facilities?

Most water Pokemon seem perfectly fine with generating water from their mouths. Surf could just be a large scale version of this.

• How do you travel between regions? I find it very doubtful that Professor Oak walks between Kanto and Johto. It even sounds questionable to take a boat between Hoenn and Sinnoh!

Planes, trains, boats, cars, bikes. How do you get anywhere? There is a train between Johto and Kanto, and there's apparently boats between various regions. Why is it questionable to sail from Hoenn to Sinnoh? I'm sure it's not farther than across the Atlantic.

• If so many people ride bikes (and even a few motorcycles), then why aren't there more roads? Surely, your grandpa isn't going to risk going through the tall grass just to get to the next town!

It's a game. And there are roads, at least dirt ones, between some areas, and I'm willing to bet you could get from any town to another by taking roundabout dirt roads. And anyway, most people seem to have Pokemon for protection.

• Where do people buy there groceries? The PokeMarts seem to only sell adventure supplies. :/

Perhaps the shopkeepers, seeing you as a trainer, only display adventure items to you?

• Every time you beat a trainer, you get prize money. The thing is.... where do they get that kind of cash? And how do items such as the "Luck Incense" double your prize money? Do they hypnotize the trainer into emptying his/her wallet?

Beating other trainers? Parents? God forbid, work every now and then. Maybe there are training loans you can get, like student loans.

• It has been mentioned in the early games that Mew originated in South America. How does this work?

Maybe the Pokemon world has the same geography as ours, but with Pokemon everywhere? Just the regions we know and love are somewhere in an alternate Japan?

• Deoxys is clearly NOT of the game's planet, yet it is still a Pokemon. Does this imply that Pokemon originated elsewhere in the universe AND THEN arrived on this planet?

Not necessarily. The word 'Pokemon' is ambiguous, anyway. Who's to say the life form of comparable strength to terrestrial Pokemon shouldn't be considered one? Just an alien one? And even if they were from space, so what? Many believe life in the real world was brought from space by an asteroid or something similar.

Maybe some freak genius like Butterfree can figure this out! :D

So.... if you have any other possible mysteries you'd like to post, go ahead!

And remember, if something about the world is not explained in the game, it simply means that it's not important for the player to know in order to enjoy the game.

My 14 cents.

Awww, I forgot to answer the Mart thing. >X(

The mart has always and will always only sell adventure supplies. For food, everyone either has to go to a diner or buffet that or just fend for themselves. It's quite competitive fending for yourself with the pokemon around however.

Awww, I forgot to answer the Mart thing. >X(

The mart has always and will always only sell adventure supplies. For food, everyone either has to go to a diner or buffet that or just fend for themselves. It's quite competitive fending for yourself with the pokemon around however.

many other RPGs have pubs in them and mabey they felt that a ten year old would have no reason to go to a pub....

Eating Pokémon question:

One of the books in the Canalave Library says something to the effect of "Thank [Pokémon] for the meals they provide, and pick their bones clean."

Don't forget they also have tofu. They could only eat some pokemon. The other pokemon, including all of the eeveelutions, have meat that is deathly toxic to humans.

Don't forget they also have tofu. They could only eat some pokemon. The other pokemon, including all of the eeveelutions, have meat that is deathly toxic to humans.

And the pokemon that are safe include...?
Pokemon.com's answer doesn't make it any better, it just makes you facepalm:
Question: In the Pokemon show, do they have animals? If not, do they eat other Pokemon when they eat meat?
Hello? this calls for clicking on the link up there.
Anyway, what pokemon would be considered safe, excluding all those pokemon that are poison type or can do poison type moves.
I'm just curious...

There was an early episode where Ash caught a Krabby and it got sent to Oak's lab because his party was full. He thought that Oak was having his Krabby for lunch but it turned out that he was just making tofu.

The toxic meat thing probably is questionable.

Also, in one of Farfetch'd's pokedex entries, it stated that they were hunted almost to extinction because they're apparently delicious or something.

I think pokemon.com lies to keep younger minds safe from the horrors of meat processing. I also think they've been reading our fanfiction, but i'm paranoid, so don't listen to me.

My question is this: How do you use Pokemon such as Dugtrio while surfing? How do you do anything while surfing really? How does the Pokemon attack while you are sitting on it? Wouldn't that put your character in danger?

Back
Top Bottom