• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

!!!!!Ultimate Happy Rainbow Smiles Sprite Contest!!!!!

i think Bakuphoon's is best, it's so cool, and no wonder it's famliar espeon is my favorite eeveelution and i'm playing Pokemon ruby with it in my team :P

Judging - #1 through #6

1. Shadowstar
dpmfa448.png

Originality: 3/10
Flow: 2/5
Quality: 3/5
8/20
There are four such mixes entered here, and all but one of them are judged in this round. I guess it's my fault, in a way. I wasn't specific enough in the contest description; it wasn't a mix contest by any means. Why Gamefreak would make a Shaymin fighting forme that was an exact clone of Lucario is beyond me. But besides that, the sprite suffers in quality. It's not even too good of a mix, really; you just recolored a Lucario and copypasted the flower. EVERYWHERE. When you're making a mix, take care to combine equal elements of both Pokemon.

2. Chaostres
picture.php

Originality: 6/10
Flow: 1/5
Quality: 2/5
9/20
I'm glad you tried scratching, even though it's hard for you. ^^ The only way we can get better is by practice, and scratching just takes a leeeetle more time and focus than blindly recoloring/mixing/iPoding/whatever the kids are doing these days. So about this sprite... it's Dragon Forme, is it? It's quite interesting-- it looks rather a lot like Skymin, although I can see you used Shaymin's flower on the tail and adapted the cape to be dragon wings... but. Here's my advice to you: take time on your scratches, and focus on anatomy and smooth outlines, and make sure you zoom in all the way. We'll make a spriter of you yet. ^^

3. Mewtwo
shayminhumanformefy8.png

Originality: 1/10
Flow: 3/5
Quality: 4/5
8/20
Number two of the mixes. Look, Mewtwo. Someone with an active sprite thread and his own contest shouldn't be allowed to be this lazy. Look, for contests you're supposed to give your all, because you're being judged? But you know what this is? This is a Togetic recolor with a flower on its head. << And you don't have the excuse that Shadowstar and Zulo did, of having made your sprite before I called you out on it. No, I already said it, and yet you still made your sprite an effortless mix.

4. RainbowRayquaza
wintershaymin.png

Originality: 10/10
Quality: 5/5
18/20
I like these sprites, because now I can get nitpicky. :3 This is one of the most original entries-- winter Forme, ice/grass... very clever. But of all things, I think it suffers from using Quilava as a base. See, thing about Quilava is, long Pokemon is looooong. I'm no big fan of the 'Lava D/P sprite, and there's where you get your points off. It's a little large, proportionately, for a Shaymin Forme, and I never liked that crouching leg there. Also, in my opinion it would have looked much better with open eyes. ...Yes, perhaps it's hibernating or whatever, but still. I'm gonna have a tough time deciding here...

5. Shining Eevee
SpiritShaymin81761.png

Originality: 9/10
Flow: 4/5
Quality: 4/5
17/20
I was waiting for an entry like this one. :3 You were the first to really go out of your way to make it interesting and creative. It's based, and in my opinion they made Umbreon too dang easy to splice with, because I see it everywhere. Not as bad as in RSE, though... uh, lost my train of thought. Anyway, the points you lost were for color coordination (Blue and orange for the flowers is nice, but it conflicted too much with the bright blue you used for the body) and the tail (I would reccommend you do more with it in the future. Right now... I dunno what it is. Maybe make it a ghosty whisp?). But yeah. Not the tippity top, but it definitely earns a place squarely in awesomeland.

6. Zulo
Shaymape76790.PNG

Originality: 4/10
12/20
All told, it's a good mix. But that's all it is, and mix #4 gets tagged out at second. Among the mixes, it's one of the more creative (kudos for the clever placement of Shaymin's fluff), but I would reccommend putting even more Shaymin in. Actually, for the sake of the contest, I would reccommend putting a LOT more Shaymin in.

Suspense! More judging and the final scoring coming soon! Hold on to your hats! Also, please know that none of these are personal; I really do try to help you learn more about spriting and further your spriting carreer. If you have a problem with your score or review (as I know I may have been a little harsh on some), feel free to yell at me/rant/whatever. I'm not changing my scores, but I'll listen to you.​

I really like RainbowRayquaza's, but I agree that the eyes being open would be very good. Anyway, if I don't win, I hope RainbowRayquaza wins. ^_^

6. Zulo
Shaymape76790.PNG

Originality: 4/10
12/20
...but I would reccommend putting even more Shaymin in. Actually, for the sake of the contest, I would reccommend putting a LOT more Shaymin in.

Like what? That's about all there is of Shaymin? (I'm not questioning the judging, I just like to know how to fix my sprites =)

Probably to steam out the Infernape-ness. It's a Shaymin Forme, not a splice. I'm not saying that's what she meant, but I think that's what she was getting at.

then you could just enter every one of these contests and get a free pat on the back award.

Why should you need a participation award? Shouldn't the fun of making the sprite be enough? I got more enjoyment out of making the sprite than being told my sprite deserves a spot in awesomeland...

Thanks Shining and Caasper :D

I think RainbowRayquaza's will win though, it's alot better than mine :] At least that's what I think.

Back
Top Bottom