• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

University Applications

Knda depends; if you're a citizen and you go to an in-state public college you could easily get there for about $8,000 a year (and that's if you don't get a scholarship; some states like mine will even give you full-ride scholarships to in-state schools if you have good grades and test scores.)

If you're wanting an out-of-state school or a private school, then that's when it gets up over $20,000 and sometimes even to $40,000.

All of the schools I'm applying to are under $30,000 a year tuition-wise, which is pretty decent for out-of-state private schools, but unless I win the Scholastic award or something I'm still going to have crazy debt. My parents would rather remodel the house than pay for my college. :c

It costs me ~£1500 per year for a Welsh university and only ~£3000 for an English won. I prefer our system :P

I'm on a gap year atm, changed my mind about my course so having to reapply, which does at least mean I can retake a couple of modules that I think I could have done better in. I want to do Philosophy at London Met or Manchester Met uni, obviously have a few others down in case I don't get into those but those are my first choices. Sent off my UCAS stuff now so crossing fingers that the offers'll roll in :P

Knda depends; if you're a citizen and you go to an in-state public college you could easily get there for about $8,000 a year (and that's if you don't get a scholarship; some states like mine will even give you full-ride scholarships to in-state schools if you have good grades and test scores.)

Yeah, I know it depends, but let's say you compare the best unis: in the US they easily go up to $50,000 while in the UK they all cost exactly the same. Plus the best universities (Cambridge and Oxford) are generally the cheapest because they house you for all three years.

You know what else is unfair? If you go to a London uni, they give you a bigger loan because your living costs are higher. If you go to a uni in a place where the houses are crazy-expensive and cost about the same as London ones while not actually being in London (say, Kent), you get the same loan as everyone else ):

Yeah, I know we get a much better deal than US students, but I'm still bitter.

You know what else is unfair? If you go to a London uni, they give you a bigger loan because your living costs are higher. If you go to a uni in a place where the houses are crazy-expensive and cost about the same as London ones while not actually being in London (say, Kent), you get the same loan as everyone else ):

Yeah, I know we get a much better deal than US students, but I'm still bitter.
so basically the hierarchy goes Wales/Scotland > London > Kent > US

for the first time ever, sucks to be American.

so basically the hierarchy goes Wales/Scotland > London > Kent > US

for the first time ever, sucks to be American.

First time ever I've loved a hierarchy, too. : )

It costs me ~£1500 per year for a Welsh university and only ~£3000 for an English won. I prefer our system :P

Really? This guy was going on about it being £5000, but this is much better.

I guess it might have changed by next year, but that's fine. Student Loans never catch anyone.

First time ever I've loved a hierarchy, too. : )

Really? This guy was going on about it being £5000, but this is much better.

I guess it might have changed by next year, but that's fine. Student Loans never catch anyone.

Whaaaaat? £5000? I don't think any British university charges that much! If top-up fees are introduced then we'll be paying larger amounts, but hopefully that won't happen (vote Lib Dem!). Welsh universities are half the cost of English ones as long as you're currently living in Wales.

Which is the only reason I applied to Cardiff.

Whaaaaat? £5000? I don't think any British university charges that much! If top-up fees are introduced then we'll be paying larger amounts, but hopefully that won't happen (vote Lib Dem!). Welsh universities are half the cost of English ones as long as you're currently living in Wales.

Which is the only reason I applied to Cardiff.

Wow really? I don't know, this guy was from one of the westerny coastal university places. That teaches surfing. So he must be right, right?

Oh and I'd love to vote Lib Dem, but I went to this question time thing in Newport, and the Lib Dem rep. was really arrogant (and raged when asked about her expenses), so I guess it's a matter of principle. : /
That and I'm not old enough

Sooooo, I visited CCAD today and lived through my first portfolio review. I still have until February to overhaul it if I want a good scholarship, but the dude there gave some awesome advice. And I got a feel for the place and all. c:

Just wanted to say that, really.

Hooray! :D

I've currently got two offers and a rejection. Cardiff wants a B and a C and Leeds wants two Bs. They're both amazing offers - Cardiff usually asks for AAB and Leeds for ABB. To be asked for BC/BB is brilliant.

A bit annoyed at Manchester for rejecting me, but oh well. Hopefully Sheffield will give me a good offer (I'm looking for another BC, honestly, but it's unlikely).

Finally got me applied to all the places I'm looking into.
Miami says it's going to get back to me in like, February or January, waiting to get a yes or no from Hiram, trying to sort out bothersome paperwork issues with Oberlin, and assuming that ONU's acting like Hiram, and just... taking a little while with its rolling admission.

EDIT: Hiram accepted me! Now I just need to know what Oberlin thinks of me, and then once I know that I'll know where I'm spending the next four years of my life.

Last edited:
Sending off my UCAS application on Tuesday/Wednesday if all goes well ♥

My application has just gone through, no offers or anything yet BUUUT my first choice were nice enough to email me that they're looking at it now :D

It would've gone through sooner but finding the £19 to send the application with was pretty irritating. Being poor is pretty irritating. I have to fork over £35.10 for resits by Friday too :(

My resits cost £17.50 a go. I'm doing two in January and (probably) three in June. :( Lame.

BUT HOORAY TAILSY FOR SENDING IT OFF FINALLY MAYBE.

I'm still waiting on Warwick and Sheffield. I really, really want a good offer from Sheffield.

i have one essay left to write; then i can gather up letters of recommendation and fees. then it's time for colleges to decide if my life's over or not.

Had my Cambridge interview today. It went pretty well! For one the interviewers were absolutely lovely, and for another I didn't make any mistakes I wasn't quick to correct. All in all I am cautiously optimistic.

Conveniently, one of my friends had (one of) her interviews at Oxford today! o:

Back
Top Bottom