• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Website Pet Hates

Those stupid ROM sites where you wander blindly through six hundred pop-up-infested pages, then at the end, are required to vote for the site five times for five different topsites, then when you get to the page where you're supposed to actually download it you get a broken link. AGH. *headdesk*
They gotta make their money some way... :P Of course, you could just skip that all by using torrents. :D

What I hate, which I know is stupid, would be misspelling, and (Maybe this is considered misspellings, I don't really know) is when the whole website is posted as that abbreviated messages. ('The' is teh. 'And' is an. 'Why' is y. And so on.) And I mean that as in the Admin posts up important messages and other messages in that text. (I forgot the name of it.) I dunno about everyone else, but I find it really confusing.

People that use Cute News even if they would have just as much without it, or it's overloaded. There are other CMS's out there people.

Rampant fanboyism for any host that is utter crap. Sure there are advantages to having a free host, but there are actually free hosts that are nice.

Sites with a hundred affiliates and/or a navigation menu that spans three screens *cough*SerebiiandPiplupPrincess*cough*. Break it up somehow. You don't have to link to every single page on your sight in the left / right menu.

People that require a hit count for affiliation, especially when you look at their stats and find that they don't meet their own requirement.

People that start a forum just to have a forum. If you want to have a really nice rpg or something fine, but...

Rampant fanboyism for any host that is utter crap. Sure there are advantages to having a free host, but there are actually free hosts that are nice.
Especially public, commercial hosts like Freewebs. Fuck 'em. If you have any decent web design ability whatsoever, you can easily find a nice private host that can offer you more than any of those places ever could.

Eh, not to mention CuteNews can be considered an abandoned project now. I couldn't believe it myself when 1.4.6 was released.

Not trying to sound like an asshole here, but it really can't be that much of a hassle to gracefully degrade to support older browsers that (sadly) most people still use.

Yeah, it would be great if IE6 was anywhere near as good as Opera or Firefox... well, IE8 (which I believe passes acid2) is certainly getting there, so anyone who uses IE should (imo) at least upgrade if they don't want to switch to another browser.

The first beta of IE8 outright FAILED Acid3 (18/100)... but I do believe Microsoft is working on it. Not so sure about Acid2....

What I hate is when the site outright fails completely, as in, there's no content. Do like me, if your site has no content, don't publish it yet.

People that require a hit count for affiliation, especially when you look at their stats and find that they don't meet their own requirement.

This kind of thing gets on my nerves as well. Hits don't really mean anything. Hits can be people visiting the site once and never visiting that site again. Isn't the proverb, 'Quality over Quantity'?

Oh, and thanks, for including the thread in the 'Your Site Sucks' topic, Vee.

Well, actually, I know a really good site that kind of started out just so the person who runs it had something to do. You might have heard of it, here is the link.
There's a difference. Butterfree had a vision, something unique to share with the Pokémon community. She's responsible for a lot of the trends in Pokémon sites today. She didn't just sign up on Freewebs and make a site because everyone and their dog has one.

Stupid affiliate ranks, such as Top Affiliate, Normal Affiliate, Jr. Affy and so much other ranks in order to classify rejects.

Stupid affiliate ranks, such as Top Affiliate, Normal Affiliate, Jr. Affy and so much other ranks in order to classify rejects.

There's nothing wrong with Top Affiliates and Normal Affiliates (although I'd rather not have them) but Junior Affiliates just drive me crazy. :<

I know of a certain petsite owner who actually went onto his news page and told all of his community, "Go install Firefox. It's faster, and it makes my site look better." Not the Big N[eo], but a different petsite.

Hmm... I have a couple.

People that think their site is the best in the world, yet it is a Freewebs template with a bunch of stuff they didn't make on it.

Guestbooks, I can't understand what their purpose even is.

Unoriginal ideas, such as sprites of every Pokemon, summaries of every Pokemon game, pages with random videos from YouTube that the owner thought was interesting...

Incorrect grammar.

Back
Top Bottom