• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading? II

Could you elaborate re: difficulty? I used bits of Gender Trouble in a paper recently and found it information-dense, but not confusing, and hearing this has me wondering if I was somehow managing to read it superficially.

She's not particularly confusing, she's just very dense. Particularly wordy where she doesn't really need to be, but she's okay.

other thoughts about Serano: putting in the quiltbag club!

Started reading Unwind. Amazing book, though a slightly disturbing backstory.

I just finished Unwind. Surprisingly, the only part that made me shudder was when Roland had every organ in his body and more taken out of him.

The God of Small Things, Arundhati Roy. Turns out it's the exact kind of writing style I tend to like! Why didn't I read this sooner.

GOST is one of my favourite books of all time! it's so gorgeous and sad and lovely and i completely adore it. i'm so upset that she's only written one book :(

anyway, i'm reading Mansfield Park, Jane Austen for my Women's Writing and Film-making class. I get shit done early.

Just finished Railsea by China Mieville (during, fittingly, a seven hour train journey). It is unfair that any one writer should be this bloody talented.

Just finished The Serpent's Shadow. It makes me sad it's the last in the series.

Chaos: Making A New Science by James Gleick! Yeah I've taken to reading a lot of non-fiction, which is really strange. But it's really interesting, I promise! I see chaos everywhere now #_# (and now I'm armed with some knowledge of chaos theory, meaning I can maybe dispel some layperson misunderstanding!)

Umm, after that, I'm going to start working on Mathematical Models in Biology: An Introduction by Elizabeth S. Allman and John A. Rhodes, for the sake of my mentor. It's also pretty interesting and also deals with chaos, actually! I think after meteorology (Lorenz), ecology was the first field in which chaotic behavior was noticed and held like "whoa what is going on". Especially since I think ecologists were tending to use difference equations rather than differential equations, and you still get this crazy chaotic behavior just out of a single, simple difference equation. (P.S. CHAOS IS AWESOME)

I also picked up Introductory Real Analysis by A. N. Kolmogorov & S.V. Fomin which I'm eager to work on since I'm starting to learn mathematicians' names and Kolmogorov popped up in Chaos multiple times. But I have another analysis resource I'm technically obligated to work on before this. ~_~

This is ... kind of my leisure reading now. Eheh! I had a dream about buying comics, though, so I might do that sometime soon. I'm reading Saga, which has horned Esperantist moon-people, so there's that going for it. It's also a little coarse and sexist, but whattyagonnado.

The Taking by Dean Koontz. The plot sounds really creepy and intriguing, so hopefully he won't fuck it up by turning it into his personal soapbox again. :P

Also reading through the Hunger Games trilogy. The first one was very good, and I liked Katniss as a protagonist, but I'm not really enjoying the second one as much... Reading it feels more like a chore.

the homelanders series by andrew klavan

good series, amazing plot, and i just finished book 2/4

Bioshock: Rapture. It's basically a novelized prologue to the events in the first two Bioshock games. MUCH better than I expected from a video game based novel, but Bioshock always had a great story. After this I plan on finally reading the Lord of the Rings books.

I've read every good book in my house at least three times over.

Now I am bored.

Bioshock: Rapture. It's basically a novelized prologue to the events in the first two Bioshock games. MUCH better than I expected from a video game based novel, but Bioshock always had a great story. After this I plan on finally reading the Lord of the Rings books.
Whoa what. I had no idea there was a Bioshock novel out. :o MUST GET.

The Holy Bible.

Mostly for research purposes, and to keep an open mind. It'll help me understand other people better and relate to them.

Been reading more Amélie Nothomb and also have Camus' l'Étranger to finish. Yeah, reading predominantly in French now.

I'm reading Tom Clancy's op center: games of state.

I'm also reading the odyssey of homer and i just finished the wishsong of shannara

Back
Top Bottom