• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished reading The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, its sequel. I can't wait for the third one to come out!

I just finished reading An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. It's an Elliot Rosewater nominee, so I get extra credit in English if I pass the test thinger. Plus it was a really funny book.

Finishing off House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. Still hoping to find Catching Fire at some point. :|

It's refreshing because it's in first person, but the translation takes it from hendecasyllabic tercets to iambic pentameter, but still in tercets. It's not too much of a problem, but it takes a tiny bit of the prestige away from the poem. But then again, so does translating it away from the original Italian and getting rid of the rhyming. Oh well.

Uglies by Scott Westerfield. It's the only one I've read in the series so I'm reading it again to refresh my memory before reading the rest of them.

the fall, by albert camus.

i have to read a book in order to write a piece of literary criticism for english. the recommendations i got were going after cacciato, waiting for godot, and no exit, by tim o'brien, samuel beckett, and jean-paul sartre, respectively. i'm interested in all of them, but which one do you think i should read?

I'm also reading The Greatest Show on Earth. More than halfway through already. He has a way of sucking me in even though I'm trying to read about four other books at the same time.

Red Harvest, by Dashiell Hammett. It's pretty good so far, if moving a little faster than I'm used to for a mystery. It's in a collection of all five of Hammett's novels, and I'm trying to get through enough of them to get a feel for how I should be writing my NaNo novel since it's the same genre and style and all that.

Also in the middle of Hyperspace by Michio Kaku, although I stopped a while ago and barely remember anything I've read at this point. I'mma have to pick it up again when November is over and I'm finished with the Hammett stuff, it was starting to get interesting.

i'm still reading the fall.

i decided on no exit for the english project, but the bookstore has all three, so i'll likely pick up all three. the way people have described each book makes them sound like something i would love. besides, i wanted to read samuel beckett anyway.

I just this morning finished Peter and the Secret of Rundoon, by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. It's the third part of a trilogy by them about how the world of Peter Pan came to be, like Peter's parents, and how exactly Hook's hand was fed to the crocodile. It also has a semi-scientific explanation for the magical things. Fairy dust and all the otherwise magical happenings are caused by a substance called Starstuff. Starstuff is the ultimate good/creative power in this universe, and due to a flaw in how the universe works, starstuff falls to Earth, causing life, and a war among humans. Some were twisted by the power of dark, and want to use it for their personal gain, and others called the Starcatchers, have allied themselves with the powers of light and return the startsuff to the universe.

I seem to read a bit more when I'm abroad so I got through Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck) and A Room With A View (Forster), which isn't much since they're both short books, really, only about 300 pages in total.
Now to finish Huck Finn so I can write my essay and move on to Sons and Lovers and Generation A.

i finished the fall. it wasn't really for me.

now, i have to read two books at once, for two different classes. i have to read no exit for english, while i have to read the glass menagerie for a writing class. then my english class is reading king lear in class.

edit: since my books for classes are so short, i'm going to try and read a lengthy book over thanksgiving break. (my school system gives me a week off, at the cost of a shorter christmas and spring break. :/) my choices are catch-22, the wind-up bird chronicle, and the electric kool-aid acid test. i know there are members here who have read some murakami, so i could probably get the best suggestions here. which do you think i should read?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom