• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sexual Orientation

Hmmmmm!?

• Homosexual/gay

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • Heterosexual/straight

Votes: 71 51.4%
  • Bisexual/Pansexual

Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • Asexual

Votes: 16 11.6%

• Total voters
Strictly-speaking pansexual... almost exclusively attracted to men, so I just identify as gay.
There just aren't many women that catch my interest. Even though a good 90% of my friends are, in fact, girls.
Oh well. x3

I was thinking of Samus, from Metroid. Kairi would work too, now that I think of it.

But yeah. Lara's breasts. Actually, I think you're onto something - Maybe that's why she runs so darned slow in the games xD Although from the short amount of time I spent playing Legend, it seems like they're trying to make her into a legitimate character now rather than an excuse to show cleavage. Will it work? Probably not. But at least they're trying.

Yeah, but there's still the dodgy camera angles. I was on anniversary today and I got a big screen of Lara ass when she was swinging on a rope. Yeah.

However it looks like they're getting bigger by the game, http://globalnerdy.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/evolution-of-lara-croft.jpg

Asexual, I guess. I've never been attracted to anyone, so I guess there's no real way of knowing, is there?

Last edited:
Kairi spends most of the series being rescued.
Let's take the Zelda games, for example. Is a princess really going to be able to take on Ganondorf/Ganon? Not so much. Does it make her any worse of a character? If you ask me, not so much. Having to be rescued doesn't mean that you're a terrible character, just that you're incapable of fighting off whatever big bad boss dude decides to kidnap you. That, and if everybody in the cast was capable of defeating said big bad boss dude, there wouldn't be much of a game now, would there? :D

Yeah, but there's still the dodgy camera angles. I was on anniversary today and I got a big screen of Lara ass when she was swinging on a rope. Yeah.

However it looks like they're getting bigger by the game, http://globalnerdy.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/evolution-of-lara-croft.jpg
Should I retract my statement of Lara becoming a legitimate character (Or at least, trying to)? 'Cause its starting to look like they're doing it to balance out the fact that they're showing a little too much of her... anatomy.

Let's take the Zelda games, for example. Is a princess really going to be able to take on Ganondorf/Ganon? Not so much. Does it make her any worse of a character? If you ask me, not so much. Having to be rescued doesn't mean that you're a terrible character, just that you're incapable of fighting off whatever big bad boss dude decides to kidnap you. That, and if everybody in the cast was capable of defeating said big bad boss dude, there wouldn't be much of a game now, would there? :D

I agree in part, but I think that always, in nearly every game ever made, having the male hero need to rescue the pretty but useless girl is irritating.
It's basically saying that:
  • Women aren't capable of fending for themselves - they're not careful/clever/strong enough to not get captured in the first place.
  • Women require help of men when they get into trouble - it's always the male hero that rescues them.
  • Women get in men's way - they have to come running to Another Castle instead of doing whatever else they were doing.
  • Women aren't intelligent to escape on their own - Link finds a way out of every dungeon he ever gets thrown into. Zelda has no such skill.
  • Women sit at home and do little but wait anxiously for the hero to return - often because he's off defending her kingdom.
I understand what you mean about the game being much less fun if Peach kicked the living crap out of Bowser as soon as he laid hands on her, but the gender roles in games, RPGs especially, are so painfully defined and so very rarely challenged that it's no wonder fewer females play games.

I agree in part, but I think that always, in nearly every game ever made, having the male hero need to rescue the pretty but useless girl is irritating.
It's basically saying that:
  • Women aren't capable of fending for themselves - they're not careful/clever/strong enough to not get captured in the first place.
  • Women require help of men when they get into trouble - it's always the male hero that rescues them.
  • Women get in men's way - they have to come running to Another Castle instead of doing whatever else they were doing.
  • Women aren't intelligent to escape on their own - Link finds a way out of every dungeon he ever gets thrown into. Zelda has no such skill.
  • Women sit at home and do little but wait anxiously for the hero to return - often because he's off defending her kingdom.
I understand what you mean about the game being much less fun if Peach kicked the living crap out of Bowser as soon as he laid hands on her, but the gender roles in games, RPGs especially, are so painfully defined and so very rarely challenged that it's no wonder fewer females play games.
I agree with you for the most part, but it's not as rarely challenged as you think. Samus doesn't need anybody pretty much. Rundas saved you probably three or four times in Corruption, but all but one of them could easily be handled by the player (Except possibly when Samus kills Meta Ridley at the start of the game. How that would have turned out depends largely on what was at the bottom of that shaft, and probably whether or not Samus went morph ball before impact, cause at that point she's basically just pure energy in a ball). Jade from Beyond Good and Evil was able to fend for herself pretty much. I forget her name, but the main character from Eternal Darkness was anything but helpless by the end of the game. Lucca and Ayla from Chrono Trigger, both in battle and plot-wise, saved my party so many times it wasn't even funny. Yuna from FFX was basically the entire focus of the plot from what I've played of it, and her summons saved me in battle countless times. Midna from Twilight Princess helped Link out substantially - He'd have been screwed without her. Paula from Earthbound - You save her maybe twice in the game, but she becomes easily the second most powerful character in your party, and the final boss fight is unwinnable without her. It literally cannot be done unless you use a cheat device of some sort. And of course... Lara from Tomb Raider. She's basically turned into a sex symbol, so I don't think she's the best example of a strong female character, but she can still fend for herself, big breasts or not. Oh, and Jedi Academy - You have the option to be a female character and still do all the badass Jedi stuff you'd do if you were a male character.

Now, I'm not trying to say that the gender roles are thrown out the window here. They do get broken, or at least bent slightly, quite a fair bit. But here's the thing. How may games to I have mentioned up there? Eight? Nine? In the grand scope of things, that's not a whole lot. And even then, you'll notice that in that list, there's almost always at least some sort of help from male characters. Except for Samus, Jade, and Eternal Darkness Girl, most of those "strong female characters" still can't do it on their own. They're limited to the role of helping (or being helped by) the badass male character. And even then, there's still very little of even that kind of thing.

I guess this is "violent agreement" of sorts. I don't think the gender roles are quite as solidly defined as you seem to be saying, but they are (quite obviously) still there. I just figured I'd throw my two cents in once agian.

Or, a reversal of an existing butch-guy-rescues-useless-girl thing. Like Zelda rescuing Link from Ganondorf... somehow.
Zelda - Wand of Gamelon. Zelda has to rescue Link. And Zelda's Adventure is also a game where you control Zelda. Apparently both of them were absolutely terrible, and weren't even made by Nintendo.

Also, could a mod maybe split this topic? This is a pretty worthwhile discussion IMO, but we've strayed massively away from the original topic here.

Back
Top Bottom