• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Monotype tournament.

Oh, did you not get a type Jetx? I thought you did, as you said you had some?

Oh. I thought I was getting something random like everyone else.

If you don't mind, I'd like to take my chances and get whatever I get as all the others did

Nor have I mine, but if it's not water or ice (or maybe psychic) chances are I'm gonna drop out, no way am I gonna start another team from scratch.

TBH, this is kinda broken. If someone gets Fire, for instance, then they're quite screwed as mono-Fire is horrid.

Also, what defines as a legal Pokémon? Do they have to be of that type? Would a SD+Solarbeam Rapidash count in a mono-Grass? Would Hydro Pump Masquerain count in mono-Water? Etc.

I'm fine with any type other than, say, ghost.

One thing, though... I think we need to ban Stealth Rock from this tournament. Some types will just be obliterated. Some types (I'm looking at you Flying) lack a Rapid Spinner and will be doomed by SR going up. Other types like Fire would be forced to have Torkoal on their team, and Torkoal loses 25% of its health just for switching in.

edit: Actually, Flying type does have Delibird, who, aside from being one of the worst pokémon ever, loses 50% of its health for switching in.

Okay, the wipe did generate a little confusion on my end here. I think I've assigned everybody a type now (my apologies for the wait).

One question, though, since it's missing from my list: did somebody get Grass, or am I imagining things? o.o If so, PM me, please. I need to make a record of it.

So, are we going to do something about Stealth Rock or not? I honestly think it'll make the tournament even more unbalanced.

I disagree. I think it should be up to the trainer if they want to use spikes/toxic spikes or not. Stealth rock is too unfair, but in the other two cases, it's still fair. Sure the flying person may have an advantage, but there are other moves to use on them. Not just Spikes and Toxic Spikes. If the trainer thinks it will be too much of a disadvantage to them, then they don't have to use it. There are enough poison-type double ups anyway. The person with water can dispel them with something like Tentacruel, and Grass can get rid of them too, as so many of them double up as poison types. Also, spikes is dispelled by Rapid Spin, so you can just use that. A variety of Pokémon learn it anyway.

Sure there's plenty of Rapid Spinners. Only... this is a Mono-type tournament, and thus, most types don't have access to a spinner.

If the trainer thinks it will be too much of a disadvantage to them, then they don't have to use it.

What?

There are enough poison-type double ups anyway.

For Grass, Bug, and what?

Sure there's plenty of Rapid Spinners. Only... this is a Mono-type tournament, and thus, most types don't have access to a spinner.

LET'S COUNT THEM SHALL WE:
Ground: Claydol, Donphan, Sandslash
Water: Blastoise, Starmie, Tentacruel, Cloyster, Kabutops
Psychic: Claydol, Starmie
Bug: Forretress, Armaldo
Fighting: Hitmontop
Fire: Torkoal
Ice: Delibird
Rock: Kabutops, Armaldo
Flying: Delibird

So yeah, 9 out of the 17 types don't get a spinner. Spikes aren't that common anyway. 9 Pokemon have access to it, one of which is banned. :D

Plus, poison has combinations with Fighting, Dark, Flying, Ghost, Ground and Water too, not just Grass and Bug.

Yeah, but... Delbird. Torkoal only because Fire has crap to work with. So six types have feasible spinners.

And with your arguement, they may as well be banned anyways.

Mudkip said:
If the trainer thinks it will be too much of a disadvantage to them, then they don't have to use it.
What?

He means that if the person considering using Spikes/Toxic Spikes thinks it won't be worth it (e.g. Stryke said he has Water, so the potential Spiker suspects he's using Tentacruel) they don't have to waste a moveslot on it.

...although with everyone admitting what type they have it's not as though they won't know who to bring SR/TS/Spikes in against and who not to bother with. :/ Aren't you guys putting yourselves at a slight disadvantage by doing that?

And anyway, Walker was agreeing with you.

...actually no, I guess I was just arguing badly. Spikes still isn't that common.
Of the 8 legal Spikers, there are probably only 3 that you're actually going to see; Skarmory, Forretress, Roserade, and since Ice is likely to get bottom-of-the-barrel, maybe Frosslass and Cloyster too.

So! that leaves 8 types with access to Spikes, although it's arguably 7, seeing as Water has better options than Cloyster.

I don't see this as anywhere near as big of a threat as Stealth Rock, since it does damage based on status and the number of times the attack is used, as opposed to Stealth Rock, which does damage based on type.

Three layers of spikes are needed to do the same amount of damage to some types as just one Stealth Rock. It isn't hard to stop them from setting 3 layers up. Probopass and magnezone can trap two of the spikers Walker mentioned, if it really matters that much.

I'm slightly suprised this has made so great an arguement. I think if people want to use spikes/toxic spikes, it should be up to them. They're not as dangerous as stealth rock, and stuff, plus so many types can disarm them, it's more likely to just put the person using them at a disadvantage for not having anough moves, unless you're using Forrestress which can explode.

Back
Top Bottom