• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Help!?

Espeon

Mmhm...
So, with the release of HGSS, I would have somewhat expected there to be quite a few people posting to have their WiFi profiles updated with their new HGSS friend codes, but that just hasn't happened. (Okay, I tell a lie. I wasn't actually expecting there to be any increase in activity at all).

Anyway, with the release of HGSS etc, etc, I was hoping to attempt to get the activity of this place going up again. However, I don't even want to bother making an attempt if people aren't going to respond. I tend to find that people are more than happy to sign up to tournaments and then will do the first battle, but tend not to follow through with the rest of the tournament. (I apologise to the people that do attempt to follow through here). I personally hate to be a huge nag, constantly PMing people being all: "finish your battle so I can move on with the tournament", and implimenting deadlines seems not to work either and I have absolutely no idea how to get the ball rolling again.

Are there reasons why people tend to drop out midway? Should large scale tournaments be made into more special events? Are people not entering because they simply have no idea what an EV is, etc...?

Personally, I was wondering if people would be more active if there were more emphasis on single battle challenges made in the Wi-Fi League Battle Tower thread and having tournaments with prizes given more of a special-event type role, or something.

So, yeah.

tldr; tell me what's wrong with TCoD WiFi. Tell me how it can be resolved. Tell me you know, anything? Speak to me!!!?!?

Last edited:
i keep forgetting to do that.
i'm with you on this. we need to get WiFi up again, but to do that we need to create some epic tournament.
the question is how we do this.

If you get it up and running again, that would be great. I'd love to be able to actually battle over wi-fi, and I'm trying to find out how to EV train on Google. Plus, there's nothing else to do in-game for me. X3 But yeah if you got this up and running again I'd totally join the league. :o

One of the things I've been meaning to do (one of these days, I swear) is get rid of the current profile system and just let people set up their own, similar to the way ASB is doing it. Having the staff keep up with profiles isn't necessary, and if activity were to pick up it would only be more of a hassle for us. Part of the original concern was making sure that no one lied about any badges/tournaments/whatever they'd won, but seeing as there's also a hall of fame (of sorts) I don't see a reason to care what people say in their little profiles, or to have to add the same information to two different posts.

It was apparently really hard for people to get their heads around in the original incarnation, resulting in me having to run around behind them and yell because they were unable to follow instructions; that hasn't been as big a problem since the board wipe, but it is still annoying and unnecessary and I want it gone. I'm not even sure why Mudkip and I thought it would be a good idea in the first place.

...honestly, I've been giving serious consideration to removing the "registration" requirement entirely, and just leaving the records office posts for people who want an easy way to list all of their friend codes and whatever other extra information they like. Again, I don't recall why we ever saw it as necessary when starting out.

The point being, as soon as I have the time (really this time D:) I want to restructure the records office and related threads to remove any barriers, perceived or otherwise, that could be deterring people from participating a little more. I just need a little while to re-read the threads and figure out how to make everything fail a little less... although it would be nice to know that there are still a few people around who would be interested in continuing to do stuff before I invest any effort into it.

Also on tap for "when people are genuinely interested again" is restarting the gyms and maybe trying a few events again. I had some fun ones that I haven't been able to get a chance to set up because no one cares. :(

Heh. I'd like to try for a gym again. I had agreat idea for it, and it was a shame to see that go. I'd definitely participate more if there was a bit less emphasis on really competitive play, like EV training and all that. It's a pain trying to keep up with doing that.

I often only check the wi-fi section when there are new posts, and That isn't really that often compared to the other sections on tcod. So I think the reason I myself don't participate is because it doesn't seem like that many other people are either. I would if I saw some event that I thought I could take part in bur the last couple of times that happened i had no wi-fi access.

There's also how I feel a bit intimiated seeing as there are people much more into competative battling than me, making me afraid that my attempts at making a team will look 'noobish', for lack of a better word, in comparison. But that's just me being silly.

I doubt I'm being too helpful but that's why I don't participate as often as I'd like.

(I'd make this post longer and more helpful but I'm low on battery)

Last edited:
If anything I think having the profile system is a little bit unnecessary. If gym leaders can keep records of who holds their badge in the original "This is <x> gym" thread, then moderators pretty much have a pretty reliable idea as to who honestly owns badges. Worst coming to worst, Wi-Fi staff could just set up a badge-ownders thread, just having a list of users who own badges, and which badges they own currently. Sure, it's a little work on our part but it keeps it extremely simple for users theirselves. Keeping it very basic would prevent having to chase people too much.

Keeping the profiles thread as a collective for people to keep their friend codes together could be handy, though people shouldn't link to their profile post to show their friend codes as in cases of multiple game ownership, it just becomes extremely confusing. Might also be a good idea to say who has, and hasn't got shoddy battle at their fingertips for use, in case we decide to go that way once in a while. If they're self maintained, it also means that we don't have to keep updating everyone's profile, and it's a simple case of using the search tool to find your own profile.
(I hope I'm making sense here.)

In tournaments and stuff, it'd just be easier to put the friend code of the game they're using when they sign up. Possibly have it so that the friend code is in the list of people in the tournament:
ie;
1. Espeon - xxxx xxxx xxxx
2. Kratos Aurion - xxxx xxxx xxxx
just for "user friendliness", per se.

I personally think it'd be easier to stress single battles, user vs. user, than starting up large tournaments and then expecting people to participate, as the tournaments we last ran have all gone pretty pear shaped. If we can build interest first, it'd probably be easier to keep people going on something more dedicated.

As a final point, it would be a lot easier, when organising tournaments, to let people use some Pokémon they already own rather than forcing them to train completely different ones once in a while. It was fun in the case of the predetermined teams, but when we had a monotype tournament, if people already own a team, it'd be much more likely for people to join in if they could already use what they have. Having to train a bug monotype team, because the type I was to use had been picked for me, wasn't the most fun thing I could have done with my time. I had to get help from Negrek in the end, with the final two Pokémon, else I wouldn't have finished on time.

===
Ideally, I think we should clear all of the sticky threads and start fresh, potentially with a format like this:

- Friend Codes/User Profiles
- Badge Owners [?]
- Tier/Ban listings
- Battle Tower
- Absences [?] (Though if you're going away and know it, probably wouldn't be a good idea to sign up in the first place.)

They're only suggestions anyway, take and leave what you want of them. :D

Also, thanks for responding so soon, guys. :3

Last edited:
Wow, I've been gone over a year and I can't believe I haven't been replaced yet. The inactivity here puzzles me terribly, I'd have thought this would have been absolutely crazy when I first logged on here today... I just can't seem to express my confusion properly.

So um... I got a PM back in like... December? about my gym position, so I didn't bother replying to it since it was so long ago and I figured that it was null and void long ago. But it seems nothing has been done at all, astonishingly... so I'm just rather curious, do the current Gym Leaders who are still around still hold their spots? If so, what of me? It doesn't seem like I've been replaced, but...

I'm actually still interested in holding a position, but if we're going to have another tournament for positions or something, I suppose it's only fair that I try to earn my spot back, after vanishing off the face of the earth for 14 months...

I can see there's clearly a lot of uncertainty about what's going on with the League in general, but I just figured I'd ask anyway in case anyone at least knows that particular detail.

Edit:
One of the things I've been meaning to do (one of these days, I swear) is get rid of the current profile system and just let people set up their own, similar to the way ASB is doing it. Having the staff keep up with profiles isn't necessary, and if activity were to pick up it would only be more of a hassle for us. Part of the original concern was making sure that no one lied about any badges/tournaments/whatever they'd won, but seeing as there's also a hall of fame (of sorts) I don't see a reason to care what people say in their little profiles, or to have to add the same information to two different posts.

Just a thought, at least for badges, you could require gym leaders to post names of all who's beaten them in their gym thread, so that no one could lie about what badges they've won. Besides, as I remember it, both parties had to confirm the win over the gym anyway so after that's been done... The only problem I could foresee with that is if the gym leader lies about his/her loss, but in that case, they shouldn't be holding a leader position regardless of how they earned it.

Heh. I'd like to try for a gym again. I had agreat idea for it, and it was a shame to see that go. I'd definitely participate more if there was a bit less emphasis on really competitive play, like EV training and all that. It's a pain trying to keep up with doing that.

Well, that's why there's two sub-leagues, one for EV trainers, and one for more relaxed battling. Though, I think most of the tournaments were based around the assumption that participants did EV, in which case I see your reasoning, and it's probably too much hassle to set up the same tournament for both sub-leagues (Chrome and Crystal).

I would love to reopen my gym as well, even if it means I have to earn the right to it again.

Also, I think more special tournaments are a good idea. Way back, there was one where everyone nominated two pokemon, and players had to make a team from only the available pool. In theory, that was a good idea, except that everyone nominated the same common, overused things like Salamence, Metagross, etc, and because of that, it was largely "just another tournament". If that idea was twisted, perhaps so only pokemon with a certain maximum base stat total limit were able to be nominated, it would have been more interesting, since you'd probably be fighting things that most people don't bother to normally train.

As a final point, it would be a lot easier, when organising tournaments, to let people use some Pokémon they already own rather than forcing them to train completely different ones once in a while. It was fun in the case of the predetermined teams, but when we had a monotype tournament, if people already own a team, it'd be much more likely for people to join in if they could already use what they have. Having to train a bug monotype team, because the type I was to use had been picked for me, wasn't the most fun thing I could have done with my time. I had to get help from Negrek in the end, with the final two Pokémon, else I wouldn't have finished on time.

Since Espeon brought up the monotype tournament, I figure I'll just add my opinion now, that I don't think types should have been limited. Some types just are hard to make a good team around, like Electric or Bug. However I slightly disagree with the thought of "letting people use pokemon they already own". I mean, yeah, I don't think you should have to train a whole new team, however if people aren't forced to do so occasionally, chances are every tournament that's attempted will be flooded with the same Metagross and Salamence. You don't see pokemon like Xatu that often, and chances are you're not going to unless you're somehow restricted.

I do agree with the threads Espeon suggested as stickies.

Also, I appologize for the extremely long post...

Last edited:
I would really like to get something going here again, and I blame myself for not trying to actually take the time and talk things over with Kratos and Espeon.

A complete revamp does seem like the most practical solution. I think our mistake the first time around was a mis-assessment of our target audience here at TCoD. Any and all ideas/suggestions would be welcome.

Also, Kratos, you should get on IRC or something so you can talk with Espeon and me >:(

I'm seriously not an IRC kind of person, though. :/ But I can try. Maybe. Eventually.

Anyway, SS, good to see you're back. I've been too preoccupied with other things to actually get around to any of the intended replacements and whatnot; since you did make it back before I was able to see to it, I'm willing to let you keep your spot if it's all right with everyone else.

No problem about the long post; I'm just glad to see someone caring enough to have that much to say. I've got a backlog of more pressing things to attend to atm so I can't respond to everything (and what everyone else has posted) individually right now, but by all means keep the suggestions coming and I'll do what I can to free up enough time to start the restructuring, etc..

As long as no one objects to it, then I'll gladly keep my gym, thank you. I just don't want people thinking I came back on purpose just before the league was reformed just to keep my position.

Er... if there's anything else I could do, feel free to let me know. I have a fair bit of free time up until August or so. Though, I would expect it might just make it difficult for you to keep track of who's doing what if you start letting others work it out... I dunno. Figured I'd offer just in case.

Would definitely love to participate in tournaments, League battles, etc. The only reason I haven't in the past is because it seemed quite dead when I arrived. Apparently lack of activity is a self-perpetuating state.

I guess there's not really much that can be done right now until Kratos, Vixie and I have talked over everything. (Make it happen. :X)

Popping in to say that I have no reliable internet access atm and so can't do much right away, but I'm going to be copying some stuff into files I can take with me so I can tear the rules, etc. apart and have something to talk to Espeon and Vixie about whenever I next get the chance. (what is so great about this IRC stuff gawd)

Back
Top Bottom