• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Attacks and Abilities Guide

Negrek said:
If the target opponent has already acted during this action action, the user pays it back in full with a bitter, dark energy-laced attack that is twice as powerful as it would be otherwise.

Description of Payback. Superfluous word "action".

I would assume so. The only damage cap avoiding attacks I know of are the ones that damage the user, eg. Double Edge, Final Gambit, Belly drum, that sort of thing.

...Are Fissure and other 1-hit KO moves affected at all by the Damage Cap?

Actually, I'm pretty sure unless specifically stated, they are not affected by the damage cap. I've reffed a battle in which OHKOs were allowed but they were specifically stated only to reach the cap if used. The only other battle which I can find/recall where OHKOs were used had no damage cap.

Regardless I think that, unless we're able to dig out a solid example by an experienced referee, we should refrain from answering questions here.

Sorry for double post, I don't want this to go overlooked

Whirlpool seems to be still listed under its old power and accuracy. As of gen V, it's 35 and 85 respectively.
I'll fix this one up, but it should be noted that for the most part (i.e. where it has not actually been brought up) moves from before Gen V have not been updated to their Gen V information. I already know. They'll get done when I have time.

...Are Fissure and other 1-hit KO moves affected at all by the Damage Cap?
Yes.

And yes, you should not post in here unless you are positive of your answer, and you should probably double-check. There's been too many instances recently of people posting incorrect answers or generally cluttering the thread with speculation. If you're going to say something along the lines of "I think..." or "I assume..." or "Probably...", just don't post. I appreciate that you want to help, and that's cool, but you're making things worse, not helping.

Edit: Also fixed the payback thing.

Last edited:
1) Substitute doesn't count towards the damage cap, right?

2) So, we have a Pokemon that has Magnet Pull and a Pokemon that got Magnet Pull as an ability via Trace. One of them is a Steel-type. Would they both be attracted to each other?

Although the game would say yes, if Magnet Pull was traced, then they both have the same charge and therefore they wouldn't attract. So... not sure here.

If a Pokemon under the effect of Illusion uses Double Team/Substitute, will the clones also be under the effect of Illusion? And well attacking them break it?

As has been said before, Double Team clones are visual duplicates of the user. Therefore, they would be affected by Illusion, just as they would mimic any other visual change.
Substitute, on the other hand, has an appearance set when it is created. It won't change under Illusion, nor any other visual change.

Waterfall doesn't mention flinching.
Fixed.

1) Substitute doesn't count towards the damage cap, right?

2) So, we have a Pokemon that has Magnet Pull and a Pokemon that got Magnet Pull as an ability via Trace. One of them is a Steel-type. Would they both be attracted to each other?

Although the game would say yes, if Magnet Pull was traced, then they both have the same charge and therefore they wouldn't attract. So... not sure here.
1. Right

2. That's... not how magnets work. All magnets/magnetic fields have both positive and negative poles, so the fact that the ability was traced doesn't matter; the pokémon still attract/repel each other.

If a Pokemon under the effect of Illusion uses Double Team/Substitute, will the clones also be under the effect of Illusion? And well attacking them break it?
As stated, double team produces clones looking like the pokémon, whatever it appears to be at a time, and attacking them doesn't break the illusion. Likewise, the substitute is made to look like whatever species the pokémon is disguised at at the time, and attacking it won't break the illusion.

Fixed.
2. That's... not how magnets work. All magnets/magnetic fields have both positive and negative poles, so the fact that the ability was traced doesn't matter; the pokémon still attract/repel each other.

Fucking magnets, how do they work?

okay so does that mean they would be hopelessly stuck to each other? what does that mean in the way of them attacking each other, with say, Thunder Wave?

Unnerve: This pokémon is so unnerving--whether because it is terrifying, kind of gross, or unsettling in some other way--that pokémon fighting against it will find that they've completely lost their appetites. As a result, any pokémon in battle against a pokémon with this ability will be able to consume berries or use swallow until it leaves the battlefield.

I think this should be will not

...okay, I have a bunch of questions pertaining to this one battle I'm in--

1) If your current Pokemon is taunted, can it use the accuracy boosting abilities of Double Team in a combo? (ie Double Team (accuracy) + DynamicPunch)

2) Can a Pokemon use Faint Attack to negate the poor accuracy of a move like Dynamicpunch?

3) Can Sucker Punch be used in combination with an actual punching move? Or to get up to a Pokemon and attack at point blank range?

4) Can a Pokemon that has two hands use two punching moves in combo? Or two of the same move in combination?

If a pokemon was put to sleep by a move like hypnosis or yawn (but not rest) could it hypothetically chill in their sleep instead of using snore or sleep talk to conserve energy?

Back
Top Bottom