• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Signature Booking Office

Name: Queen the Minccino
Ability: Technician

Signiture Attack

Name: Make Them Kneel
Type: Dark
Damage Class: Physical
Base Power: 20
Base Energy: *
Accuracy: 85%
Target: Single

Usage Gap: Queen must be at a noticeable advantage to use this attack - she must have 15% more health than her opponent.

Effects: Hits 2-5 times in one action - energy is determined by how often the attack connects at a rate of 2% per hit. The overall attack has a 20% chance of causing a flinch - not each separate hit.

Description: Squaring down on her foe (and it will be down, even if they are bigger than her), Queen sets out to make sure they know their place. The flurry of attacks that follow are swift and brutal, coupled with threatening cries and dominant stances so that there is no mistake - their place in this battle is kneeling before their monarch.

Flavor: A King may rule, but watch the Queen slay.
Believing herself akin to royalty, Queen hasn't 'earned' her title through lazy days grooming herself and eating berries. Before being captured she led her pack through various difficulties and hardships. She knows that to keep a crown requires charisma, good leadership...and occasionally, savagely beating down whoever challenges your authority.

[I'll admit, when I evolve Queen I will want to beef up this move a bit/alter it but for now I wanted to run it by and see if it's okay as it currently is and see what would need changing. Thanks in advance!]

Eifie's Bambi's Refuel: Intermediate 2/2
ILS's Mr. Turtle's AAACHOO!: Intermediate 2/2, after minor changes (see below)
TruetoCheese's Prickles' Jack-o-Lantern: Junior 1/2
Pixel Chinchill's Queen's Make Them Kneel: Intermediate 1/2, after addition of a Usage Gap and other minor changes (see below)
Wargle's Kazza's Gravitational Tear: Not approved, see below for reasoning and suggested changes
Bambi (Kadabra's Lucky Charm) Litwick (M)
Ability: Flash Fire
Signature Move: Refuel

Type: Ghost / Damage Class: Special / Base Power: 40 / Base Energy: 4% / Accuracy: 100% / Target: Single / Usage Gap: 6 actions

Flavour: Wild Litwick are well-known for their trickery, pretending to guide lost travelers through dark areas with their candlelight only to turn on them and devour their life energy away. The League has forbidden Litwick from using this power in battle: for some reason, they weren't okay with these Pokémon running around eating their opponents' souls.

Most Litwick learn to adapt to this new lifestyle, but Bambi just couldn't deal with the vegetarian diet. His flame grew weak and his body grew steadily more feeble, until his trainer decided that something needed to be done. Hundreds of soulless wild Diggersby later, Bambi finally began to figure out how to rein in his lifeforce-sucking powers so as not to do permanent damage to an opponent... probably.

Description: Bambi's flame abruptly flares up, emitting a pale, ghostly light. His opponent's life force is drawn from its soul to his flame in the form of a violet rope of energy connecting them. His flame grows larger and larger as he absorbs more energy from his opponent, until he is finally satiated; it then gradually diminishes in size again over the next six actions as he uses up the stolen life force, and until then he will not be willing to feed again. Bambi's just a little Litwick, with not that much control over his powers, so sometimes he can get a bit carried away: there's a small chance that he'll feast on his opponent's soul a bit too much, after which a League enforcer will step in and prevent him from using this move for the rest of the battle.

Effects: Drains half the damage dealt to heal Bambi. This attack can be commanded to target health or energy. Has a critical hit domain one stage higher than normal, but if this move scores a critical hit, Bambi cannot use it again for the rest of the battle.
Yeah, I think this is alright. Intermediate approved for 2/2.

wartortle
[Mr. Turtle] Wartortle
Ability: Torrent

Signature Move: AAAACHOO!

Flavor: Mr. Turtle suffers from a variety of allergies. His Trainer often drops several weeks’ allowance on medication just to keep his starter’s affliction under control. However, both of them noticed some interesting reactions whenever his Trainer forgot to give him his pills; his opponents’ (and the referee’s) faces would scrunch up in fear whenever the Water type sneezed. He expelled a weird, viscous, cyan mass that… moved? Oh God, is it moving?!?!

Thinking like a true Asberian (weaponize everything! structural stability is for the weak!), Mr. Turtle’s Trainer immediately set out on capitalizing on this bodily excretion.

AAAACHOO! can be triggered by the usual array of things (pollen, dust, etc.) just as it can be controlled. In fact, the moment Mr. Turtle gets a whiff of any of these agents, he’ll drop everything and sneeze at his target stronger than usual. However, Mr. Turtle’s Trainer dispenses an allergy pill the first time this happens, assuring the situation never occurs again.

Type: Water/ Class: Special / Power: 60 (90 in special case) / Energy: 4% (7% in special case) / Accuracy: 100 / Target: Single / Priority: – (+1 in special case) / Usage Gap: Once every three rounds (once every four if special case occurs).

Effects: Once the mucus comes in contact with the enemy, they are immediately slowed down (-1 Speed). The secretion is thick and gooey enough to stay on the enemy even if high-pressure water is sprayed on it. The mucus dries out at the end of the third round, removing the Speed debuff.

The move can be triggered by any of these moves once:
-Sandstorm (and any Abilities that create a sandstorm)
-Sand Attack
-Sand Tomb
-Sweet Scent
-Sleep Powder
-Poison Powder
-Stun Spore
-Cotton Spore
-Spore
-Anything the ref deems eligible (within reason; it can both be moves such as Hurricane carrying insane amounts of dust or the arena itself that cause the sneeze)

When triggered by one of the aforementioned moves, Mr. Turtle randomly forfeits one of his actions in the following round in favor of a stronger AAAACHOO! (90BP/7%/+1 Priority instead of 60 BP/4%/0 Priority). As mentioned earlier, this stronger move can only happen once.

For example, after a Combee uses Sweet Scent, the command string Withdraw~Water Gun~Tackle can end up like this:
AAAACHOO!~Water Gun~Tackle
Withdraw~AAAACHOO!~Tackle
Withdraw~Water Gun~AAAACHOO!

Description: When Mr. Turtle is commanded to use the move (instead of it being triggered), he’ll take a whiff of his surrounding and sneeze out a thick, viscous cyan blob that will stick to the opponent. It’s nasty, gooey, and cold to the touch.

If the special case occurs, Mr. Turtle will stumble around looking like he’s about to sneeze in the round before, and will sneeze with the power of a thousand hurricanes when he actually does. The same glob is sneezed, but at a much higher velocity. Then, I liek Squirtles/Scythers/S Pokemon of the Month takes out a Claritin and gives it to Mr. Turtle, preventing th.

In both cases, the mucus dries out into a kind of crust, and tiny flakes are easily peeled off (y’know, like how boogers usually do when they’re inside your nose).

I also think this looks good, except you should change the Usage Gap for the special case to "once per battle", to match with what you say in the description. Once you do that, I'll give it an Intermediate 2/2.

bqt9hol.gif

Cacnea | Male | Sand Veil Illuminate | 0 Exp
Signature Attribute: Jack-o-Lantern
Flavour:
There once was a man who had a love of fire, a burning passion that made him ire.

But a man like he, he bore no shame. He declared he was a botanist to astonishing acclaim.

A friend to fire and a friend to grass, he declared from the rooftops during Sunday’s mass.

He then fell from the sky and broke his back, leaving him in pain inside his worn old shack.

Not one soul had ever put trust in him, only stealing his life whim by whim.

Soon he bore dire anger for fellow man, and he formulated a very passionate plan.

He would find all the plants, protect them he would.

Then set fire to the humans, let them burn as they should.

He walked into the blaze a happy soul, laughing and cheering through his final toll.

He did not walk out, to the plants’ dismay. He died that day, he died that day.

~

The eternal sandstorm encompassing Sinnoh’s Route 228 is not a very natural phenomenon, breaking the mildly cold climate of the region. This is not because of a sudden change in regional weather, but events of a more spiritual nature.

Before Sinnoh had been completely overcome by modern tides, a small village had stood inside the sea-worn valley of Route 228, a town very similar to Celestic in the mainland. In the town was said to be a very joyous, patient and passionate man: old man Kelvin. He was spontaneous for his age, dancing and prancing about, proclaiming to the heavens his love for his greenhouse and his love for the sun. But a freak accident left him in great pain and forced the populace into a slow and steady show of inconsideration to him.

Being the passionate man he was, he never forgave them for forgetting him. Reports state he burned the town to the ground, then walked into the inferno himself, waving cheerily to his greenhouse, the only building left untouched by his blaze.

Hikers and trainers passing through the Route 228 sandstorm at night occasionally reported sightings of a will-o-wisp like figure floating amongst the sands, eternally searching, but always staying far from the humans. Time had bent his will and twisted his ambitions.

Old man Kelvin’s spirit searched for a vessel, a shelter from the curse of the sandstorm he brought, the sand would forever douse his fires and leave him in eternal pain. He had watched his garden plummet to the vicious sand, and the grit tore anger into him. He would search for a rough, harsh and powerful grass type to shelter his flame. The Cacturne and Cacnea were the only ones that had prevailed in the sandstorm he brought, and he feared leaving the site of the blaze as he may spread the accursed sand wherever he went. The Cacturne always sensed when he was close, and banished him far away from them with malevolent energies, in turn protecting their children furiously.

One fateful night, he came upon a bright orange sphere nestled in the sand, lying still and asleep like a child. His heart welled with fire; there were no Cacturne in sight, and this beautiful orange Cacnea lay unaware. He delved his spirit of fire through the pores in the sand dwellers skin. He had seen pumpkins akin to the baby; the children from the village had loved the jack-o-lanterns he carved.

He was reborn that day.

With time, the infant grew with the spirit inside him. When his parents had realized what was held inside him, they fled in shame and fear. Prickles was left with only the burning spirit of old man Kelvin to nurture him. With time, his mouth grew into a malevolent smile to let the flame within him breathe, his flower wilted and out sprouted a knotted stem. He felt himself get larger, more bright and more, more fiery with every breath he took, slowly shedding his former self to be reborn anew.

Effect: Prickles is considered to be a Grass/Fire type on all occasions (weather, STAB, W/R, etc.), on evolution to Cacturne his secondary type will be Fire and not Dark (he will still be a Grass/Fire type).

Prickles’ shines a fiery light from within himself, shunning the darkness around him and embracing the flame. He loses and gains the following moves:
-Faint Attack, Payback, Switcheroo, Fling, Dark Pulse, Sandstorm
+Flame Wheel, Flame Charge, Inferno, Will-o-wisp, Fire Punch, Flame Burst

On evolution, the glands in his body that produce deadly poison (along with major healing glands) will be unable to do so. The spirit of old man Kelvin influence overcoming them, bestowing upon him his eternal curse, giving him more as a gift for nurturing the old flame:
-Belch, Venoshock, Acid, Poison Sting, Poison Jab, Smellingsalt, Synthesis, Pin Missile, Embargo, Fell Stinger, Pin Missile, Spikes
+Sunny Day, Blaze Kick, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Hex, Fiery Dance, Mystical Fire

Due to the unnatural energy residing within him, he cannot use Natural Gift, Secret Power or Hidden Power.

When wandering the desert on Route 228, attempting to find prey, Prickles realized that he illuminated the area around him, allowing him to be seen even under the harsh cloak of the sand (Prickles’ ability is now Illuminate instead of Sand Veil, he is no longer immune to Sandstorm’s damage).
I think the standard procedure is to re-submit signature stuff if you want to upgrade it upon evolution, so my comments will disregard the parts about what will happen when he evolves (though after a quick glance, I don't think some of the evolved changes, especially some of the more powerful added moves, are going to fly.) Anyway, I think the moves Prickles loses now are mostly on par with the ones he gains, and though I'm a little leery of approving the addition of Inferno I think it's balanced out enough by the losses of Natural Gift and Payback. Unless another approver really disagrees, I'm going to Junior approve this for 1/2 (though keep in mind either JackPK or Byrus will need to look it over next for full approval.)

Signiture Attack

Usage Gap: Queen must be at a noticeable advantage to use this attack - she must have 15% more health than her opponent.

Effects: Hits 2-5 times in one action - energy is determined by how often the attack connects at a rate of 2% per hit. The overall attack has a 20% chance of causing a flinch - not each separate hit.

Description: Squaring down on her foe (and it will be down, even if they are bigger than her), Queen sets out to make sure they know their place. The flurry of attacks that follow are swift and brutal, coupled with threatening cries and dominant stances so that there is no mistake - their place in this battle is kneeling before their monarch.

Believing herself akin to royalty, Queen hasn't 'earned' her title through lazy days grooming herself and eating berries. Before being captured she led her pack through various difficulties and hardships. She knows that to keep a crown requires charisma, good leadership...and occasionally, savagely beating down whoever challenges your authority.
Yeah, this looks fine to me! (It's clear that you mean at least 15% more health, not exactly 15%, but I think this should be clarified anyway. In addition, what you currently have in "Usage Gap" should be moved to "Effects", and you also need to add an actual Usage Gap. I think this move has enough drawbacks that it can be something short, though, around 3-6 actions.) Intermediate approving for 1/2 once you've made these changes.

[Kazza] Kadabra M

Signature Move: Gravitational Tear

It is fabled that shedinja contain the endless void itself in their backs; although at least somewhat disproven by science, there's definitely something in there. The clefairy family has a long-standing obsession with the moon. And bronzor have appeared in the art of dozens of unrelated cultures. How is this all connected? Aliens, obviously.

Or at least that was the logic of a group of star-addled human cultists who tried to breed the perfect poképortal, in order to view the "heart of the universe". Although the group doubtlessly failed, they left in their wake a series of unown, bronzor, shedinja, abra, and clefable (among others) that were never really normal after the fact. Many of the young creatures, after being repurposed by the League, exhibited strange abilities such as antigravity or, in some cases, instinctive knowledge of astronomical forces. Stamford, for example, can create black holes with its mind.

After a number of catastrophic accidents that were thankfully contained by League Alakazam, Kazza rapidly learned how to control itself (being a psychic, after all) and was issued to a new owner, under intense reconnaissance. However, despite the League's worst fears, nothing went wrong, even though they tentatively allowed the ability's use in sanctioned battles. The attack Wargle developed is really nowhere near as dangerous as the early meltdowns were; Kazza simply focuses his mind very hard, shrinking a rock or similar object into a minuscule point. In a split second, the point invisibly and silently expands into a relatively tiny black hole. Although the hole is contained by its powerful psychic abilities, Kazza allows the invisible hole in space to suck away the metaphysical elemental energies of his opponent. The process is intensely painful, the energy's rapid departure causing skin abrasions, but Kazza returns the point to normal before any lasting damage in done to the world.

Psychic / Special / 10% Damage / 100% / Single Opponent / 9% energy /

Effects: Kazza focuses intensely on a single point in space, psychically compacting an object into a shielded, nearly-invisible black hole that absorbs the surrounding light. The attack rips the main elemental energy from the target, draining 10% energy from the opponent and pulling it into the void and dealing 10% damage as the energy is rent from the body painfully.

Usage Gap: Four Rounds
Hmm, I still don't think this is okay. It's way too powerful right now, especially since Kazza isn't fully evolved yet, since Gravitational Tear will usually be doing upwards of 20% damage, which is much too high for the effective 8% energy cost. I think you should aim for something like 7% damage and energy drain for 9% energy, or 10% damage/energy drain for 12%+ energy if you still want to have both effects; you could also adjust either damage or energy-damage accordingly with the energy, aim for a middle ground, or change the effects to something more in line with Superbird's suggestion (damage or energy drain only, with or without a secondary effect.) But for now, I'm going to say this isn't approved.

To continue the trend of giving "bad" Pokemon signature attributes, here's one I've been sitting on for my Unown. I think it balances out all right, but I'm definitely willing to tone the upgrades down or add more drawbacks if you guys aren't okay with what I have here.

unown-! [Moominpapa Vodkazot Jr.] Unown (x) <Levitate>
Signature Attribute: Evident Power
Effects: Float's Hidden Power has 8% base power and costs 5% base energy, but it will always move last in its priority bracket when using Hidden Power.
Description: As a leader of its Unown tribe before being captured by the ASB league, Float is practiced in the use of its only attack for ritual purposes, and is able to channel much more energy into the Hidden Power technique than Unown normally can. However, a more powerful attack takes more time to prepare and the arch-sages were noncombatants, not obligated or acclimated to defending the ruins from intruders; thus, Float will always move after other Pokemon if they use moves of similar execution speed.

Flavor: "The social structure of Unown tribes has been found by many researchers (Anson et al., 2009; Edwards and Wilhop, 2012) to feature a clear hierarchy, with Unown that have not yet received training on how to control their abilities at the bottom of the metaphorical ladder. Next are the 'worker' Unown who gather resources and defend the tribe's territory, on par with those 'sage' Unown who have grown too old or frail for battle but can still impart their wisdom and experience to the lower classes. The highest social class, the nearest equivalent to leaders in other Pokemon groups, is comprised of what have been dubbed 'arch-sage' Unown and has ultimate say in group decisions.

It has recently become apparent that these Unown, besides being integral parts of the leadership structure, also supervise the performance of the burial ritual in which Hidden Power is used to seal the bodies of deceased Unown into the wall-carvings common in areas where Unown tribes live. Because this ritual is so important to Unown society, it stands to reason that these Unown do not fight on behalf of the tribe as worker-class Unown do and are often found weaker in standard combat as a result. This weakness is often to the dismay of trainers who attempt to raise members of this class for battle: a recent seizure of Unown from an Asber trainer's house has led to a surplus of Unown in the ASB league's stock, many of whom have been identified as members of the arch-sage class, but it is unclear how many will be bought following the initial purchase of one of the rare exclamation-point variants, also an arch-sage, by trainer 'Keldeo' […]"
(excerpt from "Unraveling the Unown" by M. Poe and V. Keemon, published in vol. 7, issue 2 of the Asber Gazette)

Last edited:
Bumped the health/energy drain to 7/9

I feel like drain is the right word for the description of the flavor, but it could possibly lead to confusion with draining moves like Giga Drain or Drain Punch, and I'm not sure what other word could work

[Kazza] Kadabra M

It is fabled that shedinja contain the endless void itself in their backs; although at least somewhat disproven by science, there's definitely something in there. The clefairy family has a long-standing obsession with the moon. And bronzor have appeared in the art of dozens of unrelated cultures. How is this all connected? Aliens, obviously.

Or at least that was the logic of a group of star-addled human cultists who tried to breed the perfect poképortal, in order to view the "heart of the universe". Although the group doubtlessly failed, they left in their wake a series of unown, bronzor, shedinja, abra, and clefable (among others) that were never really normal after the fact. Many of the young creatures, after being repurposed by the League, exhibited strange abilities such as antigravity or, in some cases, instinctive knowledge of astronomical forces. Stamford, for example, can create black holes with its mind.

After a number of catastrophic accidents that were thankfully contained by League Alakazam, Kazza rapidly learned how to control itself (being a psychic, after all) and was issued to a new owner, under intense reconnaissance. However, despite the League's worst fears, nothing went wrong, even though they tentatively allowed the ability's use in sanctioned battles. The attack Wargle developed is really nowhere near as dangerous as the early meltdowns were; Kazza simply focuses his mind very hard, shrinking a rock or similar object into a minuscule point. In a split second, the point invisibly and silently expands into a relatively tiny black hole. Although the hole is contained by its powerful psychic abilities, Kazza allows the invisible hole in space to suck away the metaphysical elemental energies of his opponent. The process is intensely painful, the energy's rapid departure causing skin abrasions, but Kazza returns the point to normal before any lasting damage in done to the world.

Effects: Kazza focuses intensely on a single point in space, psychically compacting an object into a shielded, nearly-invisible black hole that absorbs the surrounding light. The attack rips the main elemental energy from the target, draining 9% energy from the opponent and pulling it into the void and dealing 7% damage as the energy is rent from the body painfully.

Even with the exhaustive backstory, what you're basically trying to do here is make up an entirely new pokémon with "custom" moves and typing, and I think that's why you had such a hard time getting it approved the last. I also think the main qualm approvers had with that is that it would create a precedent of people coming up with entirely new movesets for Pokémon... which is, strictly speaking, not a bad thing per se.

Eifie clearly got the bandwagon running with her Luvdisc, and I initially disapproved adding random typing and moves to Pokémon on the basis that they were bad. First off, Luvdisc isn't near as bad in ASB as it is in-game, due to a good base 97 speed, access to a few useful moves and a great DW ability which everyone and their mother has. It concerned me because bad is very subjective, especially in ASB, and I never saw Negrek be more lenient with Sig stuff based on how bad the original pokémon was.

That being said, Negrek no longer handles the league and I'm not totally against this kind of stuff, so your signature attribute has a fair shot at being approved. I'd like other Approvers to weight in on this, but some moves you slipped in there don't make much sense. Taunt, Twineedle, Megahorn and Clear Smog are not learned by Dustox (or Beautifly for that matter) nor are particularly common among Rock-types, which makes it difficult for me to approve them on a whim. I understand that you want to make your pokémon good, but I fail to see how it is possible to approve this right now.

Now that I think about it, it's also a common problem with Rock-types in general, they rarely carry effective non-damaging moves like Magic Coat, Snatch, Taunt, etc. - which in my sense makes them bad. Should I come up with a sig stuff for every rock-type I buy so it gains access to such moves, making them good? I really want other approvers' input on that.

Not Approved for now.

I've been meaning to reply to this, and I'm a bit too tired for it right now, but I'll give it a shot.

I had the same thoughts as Lord of the Fireflies about this attribute basically being a way of creating a sort of custom Pokémon with your own chosen moveset. This isn't strictly speaking a bad thing, so whether or not it goes through is pretty much up to what the community wants out of this. I'll leave it up to the approvers to judge, and decide what they think is fair. We did have fakemon before after all, so if you'd like to allow this, you'll probably want to follow similar guidelines for movesets. (see here)

For Pokémon like Luvdisc and Unown that nobody ever uses because they're just so outclassed or just plain useless, I don't think there's a problem with someone trying to come up with a passable attribute and attempt to find them some competitive use. In my opinion, at least, Luvdisc could pass as Fairy, though this may be a bit because Fairy's one of those really muddled and not easily defined types. For something like Cascoon or Tynamo, the situation is a bit different because they'll be useable once they evolve. Again, I'm leaving it up to the approvers to decide what direction they'll take on this.

As for the thing about Rock-types, different Pokémon have different niches. A lot of Rock-types are about pure power, and Psychic-types have access to all sorts of weird psychic toys, etc. Some Pokémon (the "bad" ones) don't really seem to have any niche at all, which is why I'm in favour of trying to find them one with a signature attribute if you want to take on the challenge of using something different. Some signature attributes do end up changing where a Pokémon would fit in, but so wild a swing as from pure power to fun psychic toys could be a bit extreme.

Sorry for being late getting in on this, I was having some computer troubles.

Hey guys, I'm just going to throw this old thing out there. It was approved in the old league, but I made a few move modifications a while ago.

bqt9hol.gif

Cacnea | Male | Sand Veil Illuminate | 0 Exp
Signature Attribute: Jack-o-Lantern
Flavour:
There once was a man who had a love of fire, a burning passion that made him ire.

But a man like he, he bore no shame. He declared he was a botanist to astonishing acclaim.

A friend to fire and a friend to grass, he declared from the rooftops during Sunday’s mass.

He then fell from the sky and broke his back, leaving him in pain inside his worn old shack.

Not one soul had ever put trust in him, only stealing his life whim by whim.

Soon he bore dire anger for fellow man, and he formulated a very passionate plan.

He would find all the plants, protect them he would.

Then set fire to the humans, let them burn as they should.

He walked into the blaze a happy soul, laughing and cheering through his final toll.

He did not walk out, to the plants’ dismay. He died that day, he died that day.

~

The eternal sandstorm encompassing Sinnoh’s Route 228 is not a very natural phenomenon, breaking the mildly cold climate of the region. This is not because of a sudden change in regional weather, but events of a more spiritual nature.

Before Sinnoh had been completely overcome by modern tides, a small village had stood inside the sea-worn valley of Route 228, a town very similar to Celestic in the mainland. In the town was said to be a very joyous, patient and passionate man: old man Kelvin. He was spontaneous for his age, dancing and prancing about, proclaiming to the heavens his love for his greenhouse and his love for the sun. But a freak accident left him in great pain and forced the populace into a slow and steady show of inconsideration to him.

Being the passionate man he was, he never forgave them for forgetting him. Reports state he burned the town to the ground, then walked into the inferno himself, waving cheerily to his greenhouse, the only building left untouched by his blaze.

Hikers and trainers passing through the Route 228 sandstorm at night occasionally reported sightings of a will-o-wisp like figure floating amongst the sands, eternally searching, but always staying far from the humans. Time had bent his will and twisted his ambitions.

Old man Kelvin’s spirit searched for a vessel, a shelter from the curse of the sandstorm he brought, the sand would forever douse his fires and leave him in eternal pain. He had watched his garden plummet to the vicious sand, and the grit tore anger into him. He would search for a rough, harsh and powerful grass type to shelter his flame. The Cacturne and Cacnea were the only ones that had prevailed in the sandstorm he brought, and he feared leaving the site of the blaze as he may spread the accursed sand wherever he went. The Cacturne always sensed when he was close, and banished him far away from them with malevolent energies, in turn protecting their children furiously.

One fateful night, he came upon a bright orange sphere nestled in the sand, lying still and asleep like a child. His heart welled with fire; there were no Cacturne in sight, and this beautiful orange Cacnea lay unaware. He delved his spirit of fire through the pores in the sand dwellers skin. He had seen pumpkins akin to the baby; the children from the village had loved the jack-o-lanterns he carved.

He was reborn that day.

With time, the infant grew with the spirit inside him. When his parents had realized what was held inside him, they fled in shame and fear. Prickles was left with only the burning spirit of old man Kelvin to nurture him. With time, his mouth grew into a malevolent smile to let the flame within him breathe, his flower wilted and out sprouted a knotted stem. He felt himself get larger, more bright and more, more fiery with every breath he took, slowly shedding his former self to be reborn anew.

Effect: Prickles is considered to be a Grass/Fire type on all occasions (weather, STAB, W/R, etc.), on evolution to Cacturne his secondary type will be Fire and not Dark (he will still be a Grass/Fire type).

Prickles’ shines a fiery light from within himself, shunning the darkness around him and embracing the flame. He loses and gains the following moves:
-Faint Attack, Payback, Switcheroo, Fling, Dark Pulse, Sandstorm
+Flame Wheel, Flame Charge, Inferno, Will-o-wisp, Fire Punch, Flame Burst

On evolution, the glands in his body that produce deadly poison (along with major healing glands) will be unable to do so. The spirit of old man Kelvin influence overcoming them, bestowing upon him his eternal curse, giving him more as a gift for nurturing the old flame:
-Belch, Venoshock, Acid, Poison Sting, Poison Jab, Smellingsalt, Synthesis, Pin Missile, Embargo, Fell Stinger, Pin Missile, Spikes
+Sunny Day, Blaze Kick, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Hex, Fiery Dance, Mystical Fire

Due to the unnatural energy residing within him, he cannot use Natural Gift, Secret Power or Hidden Power.

When wandering the desert on Route 228, attempting to find prey, Prickles realized that he illuminated the area around him, allowing him to be seen even under the harsh cloak of the sand (Prickles’ ability is now Illuminate instead of Sand Veil, he is no longer immune to Sandstorm’s damage).

---

I could write up a description, but would the sprite be enough? :D

Flavour text isn't going to be judged as strictly as in the old league, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. Senior approved. (I actually approved this way back in the old PRO thread, funny enough)

Effects: Float's Hidden Power has 8% base power and costs 5% base energy, but it will always move last in its priority bracket when using Hidden Power.
Description: As a leader of its Unown tribe before being captured by the ASB league, Float is practiced in the use of its only attack for ritual purposes, and is able to channel much more energy into the Hidden Power technique than Unown normally can. However, a more powerful attack takes more time to prepare and the arch-sages were noncombatants, not obligated or acclimated to defending the ruins from intruders; thus, Float will always move after other Pokemon if they use moves of similar execution speed.

Flavor: "The social structure of Unown tribes has been found by many researchers (Anson et al., 2009; Edwards and Wilhop, 2012) to feature a clear hierarchy, with Unown that have not yet received training on how to control their abilities at the bottom of the metaphorical ladder. Next are the 'worker' Unown who gather resources and defend the tribe's territory, on par with those 'sage' Unown who have grown too old or frail for battle but can still impart their wisdom and experience to the lower classes. The highest social class, the nearest equivalent to leaders in other Pokemon groups, is comprised of what have been dubbed 'arch-sage' Unown and has ultimate say in group decisions.

It has recently become apparent that these Unown, besides being integral parts of the leadership structure, also supervise the performance of the burial ritual in which Hidden Power is used to seal the bodies of deceased Unown into the wall-carvings common in areas where Unown tribes live. Because this ritual is so important to Unown society, it stands to reason that these Unown do not fight on behalf of the tribe as worker-class Unown do and are often found weaker in standard combat as a result. This weakness is often to the dismay of trainers who attempt to raise members of this class for battle: a recent seizure of Unown from an Asber trainer's house has led to a surplus of Unown in the ASB league's stock, many of whom have been identified as members of the arch-sage class, but it is unclear how many will be bought following the initial purchase of one of the rare exclamation-point variants, also an arch-sage, by trainer 'Keldeo' […]"
(excerpt from "Unraveling the Unown" by M. Poe and V. Keemon, published in vol. 7, issue 2 of the Asber Gazette)

Senior approved.

Bumped the health/energy drain to 7/9

I feel like drain is the right word for the description of the flavor, but it could possibly lead to confusion with draining moves like Giga Drain or Drain Punch, and I'm not sure what other word could work

[Kazza] Kadabra M

Effects: Kazza focuses intensely on a single point in space, psychically compacting an object into a shielded, nearly-invisible black hole that absorbs the surrounding light. The attack rips the main elemental energy from the target, draining 9% energy from the opponent and pulling it into the void and dealing 7% damage as the energy is rent from the body painfully.

I still think this is pretty powerful with those dual effects. The decreased damage output looks more reasonable, but you're still going to be doing a total of 16% damage combined, which feels more suited to a fully evolved Pokémon. Moves with a 100% secondary effect, such as Mystical Fire, usually have a low damage output, and their effects aren't as powerful as this.

I think the energy draining could use a further reduction, down to 4% feels a lot more reasonable.

I've been meaning to reply to this, and I'm a bit too tired for it right now, but I'll give it a shot.

I had the same thoughts as Lord of the Fireflies about this attribute basically being a way of creating a sort of custom Pokémon with your own chosen moveset. This isn't strictly speaking a bad thing, so whether or not it goes through is pretty much up to what the community wants out of this. I'll leave it up to the approvers to judge, and decide what they think is fair. We did have fakemon before after all, so if you'd like to allow this, you'll probably want to follow similar guidelines for movesets. (see here)

For Pokémon like Luvdisc and Unown that nobody ever uses because they're just so outclassed or just plain useless, I don't think there's a problem with someone trying to come up with a passable attribute and attempt to find them some competitive use. In my opinion, at least, Luvdisc could pass as Fairy, though this may be a bit because Fairy's one of those really muddled and not easily defined types. For something like Cascoon or Tynamo, the situation is a bit different because they'll be useable once they evolve. Again, I'm leaving it up to the approvers to decide what direction they'll take on this.

As for the thing about Rock-types, different Pokémon have different niches. A lot of Rock-types are about pure power, and Psychic-types have access to all sorts of weird psychic toys, etc. Some Pokémon (the "bad" ones) don't really seem to have any niche at all, which is why I'm in favour of trying to find them one with a signature attribute if you want to take on the challenge of using something different. Some signature attributes do end up changing where a Pokémon would fit in, but so wild a swing as from pure power to fun psychic toys could be a bit extreme.

Personally, I'd prefer we bring back fakemons over using sig attributes to make existing Pokémon into entirely new ones.

I don't think there's any problem with people using moves and attributes to make unversatile Pokémon like Unown useable either, but I agree with LOTF on Luvdisc. One of my favourite things about ASB is that it makes weaker Pokémon a lot more useable, and I don't really see what makes Ludisc outclassed since it does get a fair amount of useful utility moves such as Entrainment, Psych Up and Heal Pulse.

I know usefulness is subjective, but I think everyone can agree that Pokémon with very limited movesets are near unuseable, even in ASB. Since base stats rarely matter (not all refs use them), apart from speed, I think movepools should be he main focus when taking this into account, rather than stats.

I have a couple of old sig moves and attributes I'd like to resubmit, but I don't want to flood the place, so I'll start with just one:

[Nurglitch] Raticate (M) (Guts)

Signature attribute: Verminous

In the wild, Nurglitch was a high ranking member of a rag-tag group of rodents called Clan Pestilens. The clan grew from its humble beginnings on the outskirts of a run-down industrial town to a thriving mass of filthy vermin carrying all sorts of diseases. They were ugly brutes with matted brown fur and festering sores all over their body, and they were also surprisingly sly and cunning, if somewhat insane. They were devout worshipers of the diseases they carried, and considered it their solemn duty to spread the sickness throughout the world.

Though you’d be hard-pressed to find someone who’d admit to being afraid of a Rattata or Raticate, Clan Pestilens was certainly a case of its own, and the plague of critters caused much misery before the pest control finally decided to step in and round most of them up. Many of Nurglitch’s clan were exterminated, with Nurglitch himself put on the chopping board. However, he was saved at the last moment by a particularly shady looking trainer with a blatant disregard for health and safety regulations.

Effects: Nurglitch is crawling with filth and disease, making contact with him a risky business. His grotesque appearance discourages anyone from touching him, so all contact moves aimed at him have their accuracy reduced by 10%. Any Pokémon that does successfully make contact with him may occasionally find themselves feeling sick, and they have a 10% chance of having their defense lowered by one stage. His rancid stench gives away his position, however, and he is always considered to be under the effects of odour sleuth. His appearance doesn't lend itself well to moves like attract and captivate either, and they will always fail when used by him. Poison types, being generally well accustomed to this repulsiveness, are immune to his ability.

Last edited:

In the wild, Nurglitch was a high ranking member of a rag-tag group of rodents called Clan Pestilens. The clan grew from its humble beginnings on the outskirts of a run-down industrial town to a thriving mass of filthy vermin carrying all sorts of diseases. They were ugly brutes with matted brown fur and festering sores all over their body, and they were also surprisingly sly and cunning, if somewhat insane. They were devout worshipers of the diseases they carried, and considered it their solemn duty to spread the sickness throughout the world.

Though you’d be hard-pressed to find someone who’d admit to being afraid of a Rattata or Raticate, Clan Pestilens was certainly a case of its own, and the plague of critters caused much misery before the pest control finally decided to step in and round most of them up. Many of Nurglitch’s clan were exterminated, with Nurglitch himself put on the chopping board. However, he was saved at the last moment by a particularly shady looking trainer with a blatant disregard for health and safety regulations.

Effects: Nurglitch is crawling with filth and disease, making contact with him a risky business. His grotesque appearance discourages anyone from touching him, so all contact moves aimed at him have their accuracy reduced by 10%. Any Pokémon that does successfully make contact with him may occasionally find themselves feeling sick, and they have a 10% chance of having their defense lowered by one stage. His rancid stench gives away his position, however, and he is always considered to be under the effects of odour sleuth. His appearance doesn't lend itself well to moves like attract and captivate either, and they will always fail when used by him. Poison types, being generally well accustomed to this repulsiveness, are immune to his ability.

Intermediate Approved 1/2. Do Senior approvals still need a second approval?

In light of what Keldeo has said I'll use the current iteration then rework and resubmit the sig once Prickles evolves. Now to work on more sigs!

Signiture Attack

Usage Gap: 4 Rounds

Effects: Queen must be at a noticeable advantage to use this attack - she must have at least 15% more health than her opponent. Hits 2-5 times in one action - energy is determined by how often the attack connects at a rate of 2% per hit. The overall attack has a 20% chance of causing a flinch - not each separate hit.

Added proper Gap Usage (I misunderstood how it worked, woops) and clarified the advantage. Hope it's all good now c:

[BurNIng] Cyndaquil (M) (Flash Fire)

Signature Attribute: B-God

Effects: Any physical damage done by BurNIng to "mage-type" Pokemon (in this case, Psychic and Fairy) is increased by 10%. Every opposing Pokemon KO'd by BurNIng earns an extra $2 for his trainer. BurNIng gains access to Pay Day. However, in double or triple battles, BurNIng will be unable to use moves that benefit his partner(s). Furthermore, if a Dark-type damaging move with 70 or more base power hits BurNIng if BurNIng is on 10% health or less, BurNIng is automatically KO'd on the spot.

Flavor: When he isn't training or battling, Ether's Bane really enjoys Dota - both playing and watching it. His favourite professional player is Xu "BurNIng" Zhilei, the greatest carry player in the history of Dota. He is such a fan of BurNIng that one day, when he obtained a Cyndaquil for his team, Bane aptly named the Cyndaquil after BurNIng. After that, quite often, when Bane would watch a professional game of Dota, BurNIng (the Cyndaquil) would come to his side and watch with him. Somehow, the Cyndaquil had some sort of connection with his namesake, and soon, portions of things in-game which BurNIng (the player) was famous for started to seep into the Cyndaquil's own battle abilities. The Cyndaquil soon gained the ability to earn money just by getting the last hit, and he also discovered that he had become rather effective against magical Pokemon - he was now an "anti-mage", if you will. However, during internal training sessions, the Cyndaquil's teammates also discovered that at times, he would be unwilling to help them out when they were on the same team. Furthermore, it also became apparent that he was now more susceptible to powerful Dark-type attacks if he could be KO'd. Ironically, this discovery was made during a run-in with a Bug-type specialist (who, as an aside, insisted on using the Japanese names for every type; thus, he referred to his own type as "Mushi"). Nevertheless, with the spirit of the legendary carry ablaze within him, BurNIng (the Cyndaquil) has only one goal in mind:

Farm.

...Wait, what? Win, not farm!

...Okay, farm as well.

...At the expense of the team, though?

...Here we go again...

Is it acceptable to use a Pokémon's body mod to switch its ability to its Hidden Ability? If so, would extra effects on top of that be allowed or would that be it?

Anyway, might as well get a few nebulous ideas for sigstuff I've had floating around typed up!

minccino
[Priscilla] Minccino ♀

Signature Attribute: Crossbreed

Description: Somewhere generations back in Priscilla's bloodline, despite taboo and the usual logistics of Pokémon breeding, her ancestors somehow crossbred with Dragon-type Pokémon. The genes remained dormant at first, such that this abomination went unnoticed for a long while until finally Priscilla was born. The latent dragon genes finally awoke, and she was born unlike any of her predecessors, freakishly exaggerated in size and bestowed with elemental properties and abilities like none of her kind. She was duly shunned by her relatives and cast out, regarded as a freak and an abomination by all who came upon her. Despite being captured by the Asber league and finally accepted by her trainer, the emotional scars of this persecution have yet to fade.

Effects: Priscilla is granted the Dragon type, thus changing her typing to Normal/Dragon. Her height and weight are both double that of the rest of her kind. Being considered a freak and an abomination for her entire life has made Priiscilla cold, aloof and highly suspicious of any form of praise or friendly gesture, as well as unable to empathise with or pity opponents. Thus the moves After You, Attract, Baby-Doll Eyes, Captivate, Charm, Encore, Flatter, Helping Hand, Hold Hands, and Play Nice have no effect on her, though nor is she able to use any of those same moves herself. Taunt and Torment remain in effect on her for one action longer than normal.

Movepool changes:
+ Dragon Dance, Dragon Pulse, Dragon Rush, Dragon Tail, Outrage
- After You, Attract, Baby-Doll Eyes, Captivate, Charm, Encore, Helping Hand, Hyper Voice, Uproar, Work Up

abra
[Logan] Abra ♂
Ability: Inner Focus

Signature Attribute: Big Hat

Description
: Logan is an introverted sort, much preferring to lose himself in thought than pay attention to others around him. Unfortunately, this led to him being considered something of an oddball, his presence often drawing the unwanted attention of staring eyes. Try as he might, he found it impossible to concentrate with so much ogling going on. Fortunately, his trainer found a solution; an enormous brown wizard's hat, with a brim several times as wide as the peak is tall, more than wide enough to block his ears and completely obscure his face. With it on, no amount of staring, noise, or snide gossiping could distract him! However, needless to say having a huge, heavy hat weighing him down and blocking his view is not without drawbacks.

Effects: Logan's concentration is increased immensely, reducing the duration of Taunt or Torment by one action, causing him to recover from confusion and attraction twice as quickly, (i.e. 10% fail chance reduction per action he passes a check), and increasing the final damage of all his special attacks by 2%. His eyes are also completely covered by the brim of the hat, meaning no moves requiring eye contact can effect him (or be used by him, for that matter), unless the foe using them is close up enough to peer under the brim. However, this also means the base accuracy of all his moves is decreased by 10% due to the difficulty of seeing his target, and the weight of the titanic piece of headgear reduces his base speed by a third.

@Sangfroidish: the general consensus among the approvers on the test question that concerned giving a Pokémon its Hidden Ability was that, if it were to be allowed, you would certainly need some decent drawbacks in exchange (unless it's something hilariously shitty like Truant Durant).

@Lord of the Fireflies: yes, those still require a second approval, just to be sure. I want to leave as much up to the actual approvers as possible, but I'll probably pop in to give second approvals to easily-approved things for now, just to help keep things moving. That said:

@Pixel Chinchill: Make Them Kneel is fine, and in fact, you could get away with half that usage gap if you'd like. For future reference, don't quote the edited version of your submission, because when an approver replies to your post the quoted part won't show up. Approved.

@Sangfroidish: the general consensus among the approvers on the test question that concerned giving a Pokémon its Hidden Ability was that, if it were to be allowed, you would certainly need some decent drawbacks in exchange (unless it's something hilariously shitty like Truant Durant).

Ah. So I guess other effects on top of getting a Hidden Ability would either be a no-go or require some freaking intense drawbacks, right? I really just wanted a Solar Power Helioptile for flavour reasons, and the gist of the ability in question is basically "when the sun is out good things happen", so maybe I'd be better off just having it negate Dry Skin or whatever.

just realized I never changed the damage in the string

[Kazza] Kadabra M

Psychic / Special / 7% Damage / 100% / Single Opponent / 9% energy /

Effects: Kazza focuses intensely on a single point in space, psychically compacting an object into a shielded, nearly-invisible black hole that absorbs the surrounding light. The attack rips the main elemental energy from the target, draining 6% energy from the opponent and pulling it into the void and dealing 7% damage as the energy is rent from the body painfully.

Even with the exhaustive backstory, what you're basically trying to do here is make up an entirely new pokémon with "custom" moves and typing, and I think that's why you had such a hard time getting it approved the last. I also think the main qualm approvers had with that is that it would create a precedent of people coming up with entirely new movesets for Pokémon... which is, strictly speaking, not a bad thing per se.

Eifie clearly got the bandwagon running with her Luvdisc, and I initially disapproved adding random typing and moves to Pokémon on the basis that they were bad. First off, Luvdisc isn't near as bad in ASB as it is in-game, due to a good base 97 speed, access to a few useful moves and a great DW ability which everyone and their mother has. It concerned me because bad is very subjective, especially in ASB, and I never saw Negrek be more lenient with Sig stuff based on how bad the original pokémon was.

That being said, Negrek no longer handles the league and I'm not totally against this kind of stuff, so your signature attribute has a fair shot at being approved. I'd like other Approvers to weight in on this, but some moves you slipped in there don't make much sense. Taunt, Twineedle, Megahorn and Clear Smog are not learned by Dustox (or Beautifly for that matter) nor are particularly common among Rock-types, which makes it difficult for me to approve them on a whim. I understand that you want to make your pokémon good, but I fail to see how it is possible to approve this right now.

Now that I think about it, it's also a common problem with Rock-types in general, they rarely carry effective non-damaging moves like Magic Coat, Snatch, Taunt, etc. - which in my sense makes them bad. Should I come up with a sig stuff for every rock-type I buy so it gains access to such moves, making them good? I really want other approvers' input on that.

Not Approved for now.

Alright, I've removed all of those attacks minus Twineedle--given the overall flavor of a rock-spiked Cascoon, I don't think it's much of a stretch at all. The poison is there, the spikes are there (Shellder and Cloyster both get Twineedle and they're not Rock or Bug types, and Cloyster at least has a comparable structure to what I'm going for), and it's a Bug attack to boot. I've also changed the inherent Defense boost to +1 because +2 seems kind of ridiculous to me now.

As far as creating custom typing, etc., it's not unprecedented at all--off the top of my head, I've seen (at least an attempt at) a Psychic/Electric Solosis and a Fire Grimer (or a Poison Slugma I can't remember), with appropriate movepool changes. As far as the subjectivity of "bad" Pokemon, I don't think anyone would disagree that Cascoon is objectively (or even subjectively) "bad", the typing isn't unique, and it doesn't get a lot of the toys that Dustox gets (Flying/Psychic/Ghost moves, more support moves). Also, for the record, it wasn't approved in the last iteration of sig approvals because nobody got to it before ASB briefly died

Cascoon
[Bolla] Cascoon (M)
Ability: Shed Skin
Signature Attribute: Granite Homeostasis
Long before humans had ever invented the Pokeball, many of the more common Pokemon seen today were quite different. Doduo's predecessors were land-dwelling, scaly beasts with wicked claws and two cunning heads full of razor-sharp teeth; as we already know, Magikarp was once remarkably more formidable as well. The case was the same for the lowly Wurmple. In the prehistoric jungles of Hoennic and Sinnoan Pangea, the ancestor of Wurmple (Helminthus spinosus pseudoscolipus) was the most feared predator, a full Bug/Poison with wicked tail-stingers and spines all over its large, flexible, agile body. It raced through the underbrush, picking off multiple small mammals in a single day to satisfy its huge appetite. Frequently, ancient Helminthus could be seen barrelling through the canopies, chasing down large birds with relative ease. It was without rival in almost every way, and undoubtedly the top of the food chain. This was the reason that, while the metamorphosis process was shaping Helminthus into one of the two ultimate jungle predators--Chloroptera venenosus toxica, an enormous insect that hovered over various altitudes showering its prey with a paralyzing dust, rendering it immobile for weeks and keeping it in one place for later consumption, or Chromopteryx proborhinos papilios, a deceptively festive-colored aerial expert that used its lengthy coiled proboscis to stab and drain its prey, even in impossibly small spaces or underwater--anyway, this was why so many of the chrysalises of Helminthus were attacked while they slept; even long-standing blood feuds would be put aside to prevent the arrival of a Chromopteryx or Chloroptera in the area. It was for this reason that ancient Cascoon began to hide themselves inside of trees or underground (though this was mostly ineffective until they became more condensed and consequently smaller in size), a trait that lives on today. Bolla, however, is a Cascoon from a little bit before that time.

As a Cascoon (technically Porphyropelta pupa fossilis), Bolla wrapped himself in silk around the time that his fellow native jungle-dwellers had realized that this particular phase in his metamorphosis was easily the most vulnerable. Many of his brethren were laid to waste mere days after his transformation, and Bolla was fully aware that he was next. As luck would have it, he was able to slip out of the jungle as fast as his limb protrusions could carry him. He soon found a rocky cave, slipped inside just in time to avoid a Doduoraptor, and pressed himself to the back as the monster's twin heads took turns trying to reach him. Finally, night fell, and Bolla was safe. So he did what all Cascoons do when they are safe. He slept.

He slept and slept and slept and slept and slept for a very long time. Without stimuli, his body entered a state of homeostasis, and without room to fluctuate with the changing for inside of him, his inner Helminthus died and became the functionary equivalent of a ribcage for an entirely new being, created by the homeostatic properties of the silk that made up the chrysalis. See, present-day Cascoon generally use plantmatter to cover themselves--bark, leaves, grass, maybe the occasional decent-sized branch. The silk doesn't just stick to the items in question; rather, it bonds with them, and seems to draw them into the center of the Pokemon, when in actuality it is trying to make room for more silk to cover the plantmatter. At most, the long-term effect would give the Cascoon a soft green palor, and make the resulting Dustox's wings a little more vibrant, and sometimes more durable in the case of excess bark; however, a Cascoon is virtually never completely covered by anything; it still needs to see and to move around in case of emergency. Rewind a few millennia, and Bolla was unaware of these basic needs. His fight-or-flight had kicked in, and he was in no shape to fight, so fly he did. As he slept, the gravel and rocks all around him stuck to his silk, even as virtually every system in his body stopped working. Eventually, the stone in the cave became grafted into his wrappings, forming a protective casing with imperceptible creases to allow for movement of his limb-spikes (during hibernation, the limbs will twitch every so often to ensure that the silk doesn't stiffen and immobilize them). While this proved to be the best move from a survivalist standpoint, Bolla was thereby prevented from further evolution, and would have to remain this way for the duration of his life. Naturally, being encased in stone spikes (not to mention much bigger than the average Cascoon) gave Bolla a number of useful abilities, the most prominent of which is heightened Defense and a secondary Rock typing, coupled with a wider moveset and slower reaction time, due to the extra bulk and the weighty stone shell; when The Omskivar found him while prospecting for Pale Spheres (he really wanted that Happiny doll okay), Bolla was startled and woozy after countless centuries of complete equilibrium, but as he regained control over his body, he quickly became a titan in his own right.

Effects: Bolla is considered a Bug/Rock Pokemon. His body is encased almost entirely in stone, and he is about twice as big as a normal Cascoon (at the tip of his spikes he is 1.4 meters, about the height of a grounded Carnivine, and he weighs in at 260.0kg). He is able to move the same way a Cascoon normally would, except that his limbs are essentially thin cones of rock. His eyes and mouthparts are not covered by this stone shell. For purposes of damage scales and Pokemon restrictions, Bolla is considered a fully-evolved Pokemon, and under no circumstances may he evolve any further. Due to the density of his shell, he gains an inherent +1 to Defense, and will reset to +1 under the effects of Clear Smog, Haze and the like. However, due to his bulky figure and heavy armor, he also has an inherent -1 in Speed; this follows the same rules as the Defense boost, with the added curse that he will automatically lose all Speed ties. His skin does not shed; therefore, his ability is not Shed Skin, but Aftermath. He also has attained the following moveset (read: he can use any of these moves, but none that are not on this list):

Absorb
Acid
Ancient Power
Attract
Bide
Body Slam
Bulldoze
Captivate
Chill
Confide
Counter
Cross Poison
Double-Edge
Double Team
Defense Curl
Earthquake
Electroweb
Endure
Explosion
Facade
Fell Stinger
Frustration
Gastro Acid
Giga Drain
Glare
Gyro Ball
Harden
Headbutt
Head Smash
Hidden Power
Infestation
Iron Defense
Iron Head
Leer
Mega Drain
Mud Sport
Mud-Slap
Natural Gift
Nature Power
Payback
Pin Missile
Poison Sting
Protect
Rain Dance
Rest
Return
Rock Polish
Rock Slide
Rock Smash
Rock Tomb
Rollout
Secret Power
Shell Smash
Skull Bash
Sleep Talk
Smack Down
Snore
Solarbeam
Spider Web
Spike Cannon
Spikes
Stealth Rock
Steamroller
Sticky Web
Stone Edge
String Shot
Struggle Bug
Substitute
Sunny Day
Swagger
Sweet Scent
Tackle
Take Down
Toxic
Twineedle
Zen Headbutt

The ability to use Bug Bite is lost due to the limited mobility of his mouthparts. Finally, he cannot stick to things as easily as he could without the rocky coating. His limbs continue to secrete silk, but his body is simply too heavy to be supported on any less than four strands (or sticking to things with at least four limb-spikes, such as a ceiling or tree trunk). Therefore, any climbing or hanging that he does using silk will take four times the energy that it normally would, using four silk lines instead of one, unless specified otherwise in the command chain.

To continue the trend of giving "bad" Pokemon signature attributes, here's one I've been sitting on for my Unown. I think it balances out all right, but I'm definitely willing to tone the upgrades down or add more drawbacks if you guys aren't okay with what I have here.

Approved. I expect to see you make good use out of this, young Moominpapa.

A straightforward, somewhat meta, one:

Łebsko the female Slowpoke <Oblivious>
Signature Attribute: Sheer Ignorance
Slowpoke are not the brightest of Pokémon. This is somewhat obvious to anyone who is not a Slowpoke. Łebsko is no exception to this. She tends not to notice things about people, or opponents. She has a decent enough memory to remember the basic facts about her opponents, but she's not too likely to notice if something is off.
Effect: When attacking or being attacked by Łebsko, Pokémon are treated as not having a signature attribute. This does not affect movepool modifications.

Byrus — [Nurglitch] Raticate (M) — Verminous

Honestly, I'm not so sure about Odor Sleuth being a good drawback to this. It (1) resets evasion to normal, (2) makes Ghosts vulnerable to Normal and Fighting, and (3) prevents sneaky moves like Feint Attack. Evasion is honestly not changed much in ASB, so (1) is rarely going to come into play; Raticate is not a Ghost-type, so (2) won't have any effect; and judging by a (very quick) glance, the only move Raticate gets that falls under (3) is Double Team, which is admittedly a highly effective nerf, but it seems like if that's what you intended, you could have just said "his stench reveals him as the true Nurglitch, making him unable to effectively use Double Team."

Aside from that, Attract is so near-universally hated that I think the inability to use it is not much of a nerf, considering people so often include it in banned moves. The Poison-type nerf is good but situational.

I don't want to outright say no to this as written since others may convincingly argue that perma-0 evasion and inability to use Double Team are decent nerfs, but neither do I want to rubber-stamp this quite yet. So uh... I guess this is the opening of a conversation rather than a yes or no.

Ether's Bane — [BurNIng] Cyndaquil (M) — B-God

Effects: Any physical damage done by BurNIng to "mage-type" Pokemon (in this case, Psychic and Fairy) is increased by 10%. Every opposing Pokemon KO'd by BurNIng earns an extra $2 for his trainer. BurNIng gains access to Pay Day. However, in double or triple battles, BurNIng will be unable to use moves that benefit his partner(s). Furthermore, if a Dark-type damaging move with 70 or more base power hits BurNIng if BurNIng is on 10% health or less, BurNIng is automatically KO'd on the spot.

Flavor: When he isn't training or battling, Ether's Bane really enjoys Dota - both playing and watching it. His favourite professional player is Xu "BurNIng" Zhilei, the greatest carry player in the history of Dota. He is such a fan of BurNIng that one day, when he obtained a Cyndaquil for his team, Bane aptly named the Cyndaquil after BurNIng. After that, quite often, when Bane would watch a professional game of Dota, BurNIng (the Cyndaquil) would come to his side and watch with him. Somehow, the Cyndaquil had some sort of connection with his namesake, and soon, portions of things in-game which BurNIng (the player) was famous for started to seep into the Cyndaquil's own battle abilities. The Cyndaquil soon gained the ability to earn money just by getting the last hit, and he also discovered that he had become rather effective against magical Pokemon - he was now an "anti-mage", if you will. However, during internal training sessions, the Cyndaquil's teammates also discovered that at times, he would be unwilling to help them out when they were on the same team. Furthermore, it also became apparent that he was now more susceptible to powerful Dark-type attacks if he could be KO'd. Ironically, this discovery was made during a run-in with a Bug-type specialist (who, as an aside, insisted on using the Japanese names for every type; thus, he referred to his own type as "Mushi"). Nevertheless, with the spirit of the legendary carry ablaze within him, BurNIng (the Cyndaquil) has only one goal in mind:

Farm.

...Okay, farm as well.

...Here we go again...
Clarify that by 10% you mean an additional one-tenth of the final damage, not the ASB usage of "10%" that is a synonym of "100 base power."

I'd like to get executive clearance from Zhorken and/or Eifie on getting additional money for KOs, since that's something that I feel is beyond my purview as a signature attribute approver.

Cyndaquil doesn't actually have any moves in its movepool that are along the lines of Helping Hand or Aromatherapy, so if that's what you meant by "unable to use moves that benefit his partner," that's not going to fly as it's moot. If you meant something else, please clarify.

The Dark-type move KO conditions are so oddly specific that the only time they'll come into play is when the move would already be fairly likely to KO BurNIng anyway, so it's not much of a drawback. You could increase the health threshold for this to activate and/or remove the base power stipulation so as to allow things like Thief and Knock Off to qualify, but it's still such a situational drawback that I'm still not sure it would be OK (depending on how you rework the other things I've highlighted).

Not approved.

Sangfroidish — [Priscilla] Minccino (F) — Crossbreed
minccino
[Priscilla] Minccino ♀

Signature Attribute: Crossbreed

Description: Somewhere generations back in Priscilla's bloodline, despite taboo and the usual logistics of Pokémon breeding, her ancestors somehow crossbred with Dragon-type Pokémon. The genes remained dormant at first, such that this abomination went unnoticed for a long while until finally Priscilla was born. The latent dragon genes finally awoke, and she was born unlike any of her predecessors, freakishly exaggerated in size and bestowed with elemental properties and abilities like none of her kind. She was duly shunned by her relatives and cast out, regarded as a freak and an abomination by all who came upon her. Despite being captured by the Asber league and finally accepted by her trainer, the emotional scars of this persecution have yet to fade.

Effects: Priscilla is granted the Dragon type, thus changing her typing to Normal/Dragon. Her height and weight are both double that of the rest of her kind. Being considered a freak and an abomination for her entire life has made Priiscilla cold, aloof and highly suspicious of any form of praise or friendly gesture, as well as unable to empathise with or pity opponents. Thus the moves After You, Attract, Baby-Doll Eyes, Captivate, Charm, Encore, Flatter, Helping Hand, Hold Hands, and Play Nice have no effect on her, though nor is she able to use any of those same moves herself. Taunt and Torment remain in effect on her for one action longer than normal.

Movepool changes:
+ Dragon Dance, Dragon Pulse, Dragon Rush, Dragon Tail, Outrage
- After You, Attract, Baby-Doll Eyes, Captivate, Charm, Encore, Helping Hand, Hyper Voice, Uproar, Work Up
Now this, unlike the Fairy-type Luvdisc, involves a lot of movepool changes and is being applied to a fairly able Pokemon (that can still evolve, at that!).

First of all, I'm not sure I'm cool with an unevolved Pokemon getting so many good moves — the five you've picked are unambiguously five of the six or seven best Dragon-type moves in existence bar Draco Meteor and legendary signature moves. I think it'd be more reasonable for a theoretical Dragon-type Minccino to get Dragon Dance, Twister, and one or both of Dragon Tail and Dragon Breath, and then upgrade to some more moves after evolution.

It's good that you're losing many more moves than you're gaining, but they're mostly non-damaging with the exception of a couple of Normal-type attacks. For a secondary-type addition, primary-type STAB moves are the last thing I'd expect to be lost — especially Normal-type moves that aren't super-effective on anything. I would much prefer you to lose a bit of type coverage, especially since pure-Normal types are so infamous for having outstanding type coverage.

Not approved, but like Byrus' Nurglitch above, I'm very much open to a long, hearty discussion, since type changes like this are the kind of thing that are both (A) probably going to be fairly common motifs when it comes to signature attributes, and (B) tricky to come to a consensus on nuances, especially when they involve moderate-to-extensive movepool changes.

Sangfroidish — [Logan] Abra (M) — Big Hat
abra
[Logan] Abra ♂
Ability: Inner Focus

Signature Attribute: Big Hat

Description
: Logan is an introverted sort, much preferring to lose himself in thought than pay attention to others around him. Unfortunately, this led to him being considered something of an oddball, his presence often drawing the unwanted attention of staring eyes. Try as he might, he found it impossible to concentrate with so much ogling going on. Fortunately, his trainer found a solution; an enormous brown wizard's hat, with a brim several times as wide as the peak is tall, more than wide enough to block his ears and completely obscure his face. With it on, no amount of staring, noise, or snide gossiping could distract him! However, needless to say having a huge, heavy hat weighing him down and blocking his view is not without drawbacks.

Effects: Logan's concentration is increased immensely, reducing the duration of Taunt or Torment by one action, causing him to recover from confusion and attraction twice as quickly, (i.e. 10% fail chance reduction per action he passes a check), and increasing the final damage of all his special attacks by 2%. His eyes are also completely covered by the brim of the hat, meaning no moves requiring eye contact can effect him (or be used by him, for that matter), unless the foe using them is close up enough to peer under the brim. However, this also means the base accuracy of all his moves is decreased by 10% due to the difficulty of seeing his target, and the weight of the titanic piece of headgear reduces his base speed by a third.
I think you've got a bit too much in the way of benefits and not quite enough drawbacks to make up for it.

An extra 2% damage (which, by the way, is a bit more than I'm comfortable giving a first-evolution-of-three Pokemon — but you can bring it back up to 2% upon evolution) in exchange for 10% accuracy (likewise, upon evolution this may need to increase) is basically a weaker version of Hustle, so those two balance each other out pretty reasonably.

But then you've also cut Taunt's duration to 66% of normal, Torment's to 80%, and all confusion and attraction to 50%, and in exchange for that all you're giving up is a third of Abra's already-outstanding speed to take it down (from 90 to 60) to almost precisely the statistical average of all Pokemon, or in other words, still quite a bit higher than the average of the unevolved Pokemon that you'll typically be facing in ASB.

Personally, I think the confusion and attraction bit is way overkill even on its own, so I would advise cutting it out for now and considering reworking it for after evolution. If you choose to do that and cut your numbers down to 1% damage for 10% accuracy, I'd be pretty happy with you trading one action of Taunt and Torment for a one-third cut to Speed.

Not quite approved.

Meursault — [Łebsko] Slowpoke (F) — Sheer Ignorance
A straightforward, somewhat meta, one:

Slowpoke are not the brightest of Pokémon. This is somewhat obvious to anyone who is not a Slowpoke. Łebsko is no exception to this. She tends not to notice things about people, or opponents. She has a decent enough memory to remember the basic facts about her opponents, but she's not too likely to notice if something is off.
Effect: When attacking or being attacked by Łebsko, Pokémon are treated as not having a signature attribute. This does not affect movepool modifications.
Ha ha, I actually really love the idea of this. I'm not sure how fair it would be, for instance, against really complicated stuff like The Omskivar's proposed Cascoon (or even simple retypes like Eifie's Water/Fairy Luvdisc), so I'm only tentatively approving it and encouraging other approvers to join the conversation on this rather than just rubber-stamping it, but I do really really love the idea behind this. In any case, whether immediately approved or sent back to the drawing board, I encourage you to rephrase it so attributes are out of play all the time that Łebsko is in play, so as to avoid potentially ambiguous/contradictory circumstances in 2v2s and things like that.

Ha ha, I actually really love the idea of this. I'm not sure how fair it would be, for instance, against really complicated stuff like The Omskivar's proposed Cascoon (or even simple retypes like Eifie's Water/Fairy Luvdisc), so I'm only tentatively approving it and encouraging other approvers to join the conversation on this rather than just rubber-stamping it, but I do really really love the idea behind this. In any case, whether immediately approved or sent back to the drawing board, I encourage you to rephrase it so attributes are out of play all the time that Łebsko is in play, so as to avoid potentially ambiguous/contradictory circumstances in 2v2s and things like that.

If I may, the phrasing was deliberate on my part. The attribute is that Łebsko isn't noticing the signature attributes of her opponents, not that she's nullifying them through weird psychic powers. So to take a 2v2 against Omski's proposed Cascoon for example, her Hydro Pump would not be supereffective, but her teammate's would. Likewise, when attacking her, the Cascoon could still use Rock Tomb, but it would not get STAB. By the same logic, if Bolla were to use Rock Slide, it would get STAB against Łebsko's teammate, but not Łebsko.

I'll throw an example into the description, just to be perfectly clear:

Slowpoke are not the brightest of Pokémon. This is somewhat obvious to anyone who is not a Slowpoke. Łebsko is no exception to this. She tends not to notice things about people, or opponents. She has a decent enough memory to remember the basic facts about her opponents, but she's not too likely to notice if something is off, even if it's obvious to her teammates.

For example, if she's facing against a Cascoon that's been retyped to Bug/Rock, her teammates would get supereffective bonuses when using water moves against it, but not Łebsko. Similarly, Cascoon would get STAB when using rock moves against anyone other than Łebsko.

Last edited:
[
Ether's Bane — [BurNIng] Cyndaquil (M) — B-God

Clarify that by 10% you mean an additional one-tenth of the final damage, not the ASB usage of "10%" that is a synonym of "100 base power."

I'd like to get executive clearance from Zhorken and/or Eifie on getting additional money for KOs, since that's something that I feel is beyond my purview as a signature attribute approver.

Cyndaquil doesn't actually have any moves in its movepool that are along the lines of Helping Hand or Aromatherapy, so if that's what you meant by "unable to use moves that benefit his partner," that's not going to fly as it's moot. If you meant something else, please clarify.

The Dark-type move KO conditions are so oddly specific that the only time they'll come into play is when the move would already be fairly likely to KO BurNIng anyway, so it's not much of a drawback. You could increase the health threshold for this to activate and/or remove the base power stipulation so as to allow things like Thief and Knock Off to qualify, but it's still such a situational drawback that I'm still not sure it would be OK (depending on how you rework the other things I've highlighted).

Not approved.

Noted. Hence:

---

Effects: Any physical damage done by BurNIng to "mage-type" Pokemon (in this case, Psychic and Fairy) is multiplied by 1.1x (after the original final damage of the attack is tallied). Every opposing Pokemon KO'd by BurNIng earns an extra $2 for his trainer, however, BurNIng must get the last hit - if the other Pokemon KO's itself through self-damage, poison, burn, confusion self-damage, or anything other than BurNIng getting the last hit, no extra money will be awarded. BurNIng gains access to Pay Day. However, in double or triple battles, BurNIng will be unable to help his partner(s), so he will not attempt to shield his partner(s) from damage, combine attacks with his partner(s), or any other form of positive battle interaction with his partner(s). Furthermore, if a Dark-type damaging move with 60 or more base power hits BurNIng if BurNIng is on 25% health or less, BurNIng is automatically KO'd on the spot.

Farm.

...Okay, farm as well.

...Here we go again...

Back
Top Bottom