• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Out of Context TVTropes Mafia Quotes Mafia

i am currently struggling to not side-eye anyone saying that we shouldn't be putting any brainpower into cultspec tbh, i think if true it's definitionally anti-town
-m
and by my ~cursory google~ i think mafia would be less interested in figuring this out since cult recruiters tend to die when they recruit mafia

i am currently struggling to not side-eye anyone saying that we shouldn't be putting any brainpower into cultspec tbh, i think if true it's definitionally anti-town
-m
and by my ~cursory google~ i think mafia would be less interested in figuring this out since cult recruiters tend to die when they recruit mafia
yeah, that’s how cult normally operates in ToS from what i remember, although they are labeled vampires in that game

although normally that also comes with a specific town PR built to counter the mechanic, which leaves town free to focus on using lynches to find mafia

I always thought it was the other way around, that mafia die when they get recruited
maybe that's just ToS speaking

In any case the wincon pretty much says that a mafia exists at least

oh, ok, I guess I misunderstood the finer distinction of "scum" vs "mafia". even so, if there is a cult (which I suppose we don't have any reason to believe, if we're treating the immunities as potentially misleading), I don't see what the point would be if it could win alongside town.

so actually maybe not being mentioned in the town wincon is an argument for a cult not existing, and the immunities (or at least RNP's) just being bogus?

so actually maybe not being mentioned in the town wincon is an argument for a cult not existing
how so? town doesn't have to eliminate the cult to win, it just has to prevent it from reaching majority in order to not lose. it would be weird if the cult was in the town wincon imo.
because in that situation, the cult's wincon wouldn't just be "reach majority", it would be "reach majority before the town eliminate the mafia", which is... kinda arbitrary, and also allows the cult to be harmed by bad play from the mafia

I may be overthinking this but I don't see how it makes sense (in mafia games in general, not just this one) for town to win when not all antitown factions have been eliminated

I may be overthinking this but I don't see how it makes sense (in mafia games in general, not just this one) for town to win when not all antitown factions have been eliminated
i might not be following, but doesn't town just simply ... win when all mafia are down?
-m

i might not be following, but doesn't town just simply ... win when all mafia are down?
-m
i think what koko is saying is that “win when all mafia are eliminated” doesn’t capture the full scope of what town needs to do if there is also a cult that can win before all mafia are eliminated

because in that situation, the cult's wincon wouldn't just be "reach majority", it would be "reach majority before the town eliminate the mafia", which is... kinda arbitrary, and also allows the cult to be harmed by bad play from the mafia

i mean, that just comes down to "achieve your win condition before the game ends," which i think is implicit for every possible win condition.

town and mafia are diametrically opposed because town can ONLY win when the mafia are gone, and mafia can ONLY win by killing townies, but that's not the case with the cult. they're only "anti-town" insofar as that their win condition is at odds with town's, since it ends the game and prevents a town victory; but they don't have to achieve that by harming/killing town since the mechanism by which they approach majority is constructive (induction), not destructive (killing).

I may be overthinking this
inb4 "you always overthink things"

-m
i think what koko is saying is that “win when all mafia are eliminated” doesn’t capture the full scope of what town needs to do if there is also a cult that can win before all mafia are eliminated
yes, this, and also it's unfair on the cult if poor play from the mafia harms their chance of winning (by reducing the amount of time they have in which to reach a majority)

Back
Top Bottom