• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Negrek
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• That'd be nice, thanks. I tried looking in your ASB guide for it, but you seemed to have removed it once the forum plugin was added. Wayback Machine didn't help either, the earliest it had crawled that page was in October 2012.
    Speaking of ASB. I'm just wondering, do you remember what the old formula was to find out how much EXP is needed to evolve a Pokemon?
    Ah, that's a little relict of the old TM list. There are 144 TMs and 6 HMs, but there were originally more; avalanche was 146 on the old list. I must've forgotten to edit that number when we changed things. Thanks for catching that.

All moves up to their current level bar relearners.
    Memorial Day itself isn't gonna be that big a thing since it's being overshadowed by my graduation, my brother's graduation, my brother's 18th birthday and a cousin's graduation/18th birthday all descending upon us at once. I was sort of pressganged into doing a church thing I didn't want to do at the last minute, and there are some errands that need to be run tomorrow, but the rest of the long weekend and tonight in particular should be pretty nice. I hope you have a good weekend, too!

Heh. I can't really deal with bright colors on dark myself; there was a different version of that theme where the greens were more muted and I liked that a lot, but the consensus was for the one we're currently using. Ah, well, it's far from the worst acid green on dark theme out there (idk man, on ZB we were going to use this (eVolution) when we opened and aside from looking super dated and tacky I can't take that neon green uuugh), and maybe I'll adminhax the other version in for myself later! Default's highlight color is fixed, anyway, and it turns out it wasn't much better on the other two dark themes so I tweaked it there as well. Thanks for pointing that out.

Everything has perfect IVs, 255 EVs (screw the 510 limit I guess) and neutral nature. Shiny wilds are possible and are more common than in the games, albeit it still takes some luck to find them; I have rolled up two shinies already while testing the wild gen, though, so they'll show up eventually. The possibility of shiny starters was floated but for now is at "no" because idk, I wasn't sure how I felt about that; I guess it's no less "unfair" for someone to get a shiny starter than it is to find a shiny anything else, so I may change my mind before we open, but eeeehhh. Even if that doesn't change, though, there might eventually be a rare thing that can make a pokémon shiny? There was in Turquoise's earlier incarnations, anyway, although that was before we decided to have shiny wilds so I don't know for a fact if we're still bothering with that. I'll have to see.

Mantis shrimp are the best~ I think when it comes to rainbow sparkly underwater death machines my favorite is this, though. Mantis shrimp are a close second, but bahahahaha these things.
    As far as I know it'd be starting immediately, yeah. And thanks! They didn't get back to me yesterday after all, but given the holiday weekend that's understandable; hopefully I'll hear something soon!

Which theme are you using, the default blue and black one? Eeeyeeeah, that one is kind of a mess for a number of reasons and I've already had to poke at it and fix stuff (who on earth told this person it was a good idea to have a huge fuzzy text shadow on all the text I do not even). I haven't really looked at the search pages for any themes but I can fix it, sure.

The gems are just because I felt like making them available and figured it wouldn't hurt to have a few things give them out since they're consumable, so they show up for a few things, yeah. They're not relevant to anything, or at least they shouldn't be as far as I know. The plates... I actually don't know. I wasn't planning on doing anything major with them but a quirky side thing or two might happen, idk.
    Hopefully soon! Ideally before I get too far into this potential job, which I'm supposed to be hearing back about today. Unfortunately we've fallen back into a bit of radio silence from the other admins, though I'm hoping they'll start chiming in again and really trying to clear out their schedules once I finish a few things that are holding stuff up on my end. (And stop being distracted by unrelated shiny things. Sob.)

He has never unironically called himself "Honest Connor".

...until now. brb finding a way to sneak that into his character blurb. And maybe also have him run a car dealership on the side, complete with unsettlingly overenthusiastic commercials.
    Heh. Osgrave gets sky attack, most notably, though there're plenty more. At the time the move was created, though, sky attack wasn't a tutor move and I think the only widely available comparable thing was solarbeam, maybe? Which for the most part you already have sunny day for.

TBH it hadn't originally occurred to me that anyone would bother using it, really. But then again I am a terrible judge of things that are a good idea and things that are not, so idk! If you want to bring it up with the admins after the game starts I'm sure we can do something about it should it actually prove problematic. I'd have no problem giving that move all kinds of tweaks should it come to that. And if it does end up being replaced entirely, changing a single move is a lot easier than rearranging the whole list, especially if the new one remains universal. (Though I would at least like to see, somehow, some way, a black/white kyurem with this move as it stands. Because ahahahahahahahaha.)

Ah, but there's a difference between throwing a wrench into the works and throwing an impromptu fistfight/shouting match/giraffe-slinging competition into ALL the works. Every time. And ...inadvertently? ;D

Seriously, though, unfortunately it's not too likely that long-term large-scale destruction will be a thing here even if said caslot does manage something other than splash or final gambit, in part because my baby D: and in larger part because coming up with alternatives to anything taken out of commission en masse is too much wooooork. Maybe if I was less lazy. I'm sure you'll find plenty of ways to have a bit of fun with a caslot should you acquire one, though. I can't turn down "accidentally" draco meteoring something flat out. ;D

No, he's a reasonably new RP character idea; you wouldn't've heard anything. There is actually something similar to said idea in the RP as an NPC as it stands, albeit coincidentally rather than "well if I can't play this character fairly..." That said though I imagine Cado would've gotten along just as swimmingly with this NPC as your character would with Honest Connor, assuming yours wasn't sarcasm, anyway.
    In my case it was because I decided to stop going through one of the late-ish game dungeons for no good reason and go get a piece of heart I totally could've waited for, spent an hour failing spectacularly at the minigame that involved and then proceeded to never pick it up again after "taking a break for just a little while, honest".

Ohhh man neutral gin. I even asked him what the name was supposed to mean or have to do with anything and he said "I don't actually remember, I just kind of liked the way it sounded I guess". Granted I have weaseled a few name changes into some moves but I haven't really tried for that one. Just another thing I sorta felt it was better not to argue about since it was kind of bizarre but ultimately inconsequential. Honestly I'm probably a little more weirded out by the fact that it's a TM, and a universal one at that, but eeeehhh.

Oh, no, I want someone to face the deathosaurs early! I'm looking forward to seeing whether anyone is ballsy enough to try. It's part of what I enjoy about having what was originally a railroady 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 badge line and making it more open. Some stuff got balanced out a little, but there's definitely an easy route and a good heavens why route and I want to see what people will do! And how horribly their teams will be flattened by metal dinosaur fists! :D

Hah, well, I'm usually just the tool who always picks the fire-type my first major playthrough anyhow, but I think I technically do prefer bossorna and osgrave out of the starters. That darn team balance. I wouldn't be surprised if I just end up RNGing it or something because I really have no idea rrgh. And sure, that'd be a great idea provided you're ready for me to get back into the swing of every halfway serious RP post I touch aiming to turn things into an irredeemably chaotic mess. ;)

Not Virgil, unfortunately, although he is a ghost. ;D Virgil would actually be easier to play because he's being punished and doesn't have his magic antimatter dragon god powers anymore; this guy's change was voluntary. Not even a change so much as a disguise, really. (And stop it now you're tempting me with terrible ideas I don't need that kind of help right now D:)
    People contract with them for external sites. Apparently they've had clients of all different sizes. Biggest name I can think of right now is that Aaron's rent-to-own chain, but they've done quite a few other things. And yeah, just about.

Yep! It's just a matter of maintaining just the right level of ambiguity and mystery as opposed to no one noticing anything or, as is more likely, being hamfisted with it. (meanwhile uuugh still haven't finished WW ugh so slow at games)

It is unfortunate but it wasn't really my choice. You've probably noticed that the TM list is in general skewed toward relatively powerful or potent damaging TMs once you get past snarl. I'm really not sure why the other admins felt it was necessary to do that and it is kind of silly in a system like this (and with the system they were going to use for their own region, which was different but still pretty open), but like hell I was updating TM numbers in two hundred different places again. It might've been a little easier if we'd used some of the canon TMs since those are more balanced, but I do think it is more interesting to showcase the new TMs, so eh.

Fairlie's gym probably isn't the worst choice, anyway, if only because her weaker pokémon make for easier experience and easier access to a quick money boost. And hey, it's only no TM prize for one more badge, so you can just move right on to whatever you consider the second-easiest gym (probably the conveniently-right-next-door fire, or maybe bug) and have both of those TMs from there on. The worst choice overall is probably the seventh one, which I suppose you haven't seen yet, because have fun with your babby spraylets and bucarats and such in a double battle against two giant metal deathosaurs with 480 BST. >D (Which admittedly might not be too awful if you make sure to grab a numel or something first, but still.)

So she likes noisy adventurebirds and totally-not-from-TR shifty shopkeeps, eh? Intriguing! I do actually have a tentative character, and she'd probably go with crocoal, although that's more because I prefer it over the other fire-types more than I prefer acafia or spraylet over the other grass/water; character-wise I could see her using any of them. I actually feel kinda bad because it seems like no one so far is interested in poor acafia; I am a little tempted myself now that I've gone and revamped its evolutions. But osgrave is also awesome and ugh. aaagh they're all my babies choosing between them hurts. :( I s'pose there is always my backup plan of shamelessly begging anyone with a female starter to breed one of the others for me when that functionality becomes available. or push ahead with my idea for occasionally being able to solicit ditto prostitution at the breeding joint idk

I'm not sure I'm going to keep this character idea, though, because I feel like I might be better served trying something else and saving her for later. I did have one other idea that would've been great but because he wasn't... technically... human... I don't know that I can both play him true to character and not godmode mercilessly at the first sign of trouble. Oops. I'm trying to come to some sort of decision, though, or at least make some tweaks that'll make me feel better about using my current idea now instead of some other time.
    Pretty much, plus checking database connections to make sure they're working and that sort of thing. (and .NET haaaaalp) Dunno what other agencies normally do—I'd assume it varies by size and whatever their process is—but here they used to have the developers trade off on analyzing one another's work; they've gotten to the point where they want a dedicated QA person in-house so they're creating the position.

Don't worry, I'm sure the opening post and the character info will make everything crystal clear! Completely and unambiguously so. You will be 100% absolutely guaranteed certain that you can make a safe choice about where your affiliation lies. Yes.

...pretty much nothing that happens in this region is not going to sound suspicious, although that's probably less because everything is legitimately suspicious and more because I suspect I'm going to be rubbish at foreshadowing and the like. also it doesn't hurt that the storyline isn't anywhere near finished or halfway logical

Also you're probably not going to be able to get surf just after starting off anyway, primarily because earlygamers running around with a multi-target 100% acc 95bp move noooo thank you sir. I'm afraid you'll have to keep your purse-strings loose for a while all the same. ;)

Out of curiosity, do you know what you'll be choosing as a starter?
    Different one. It'd be a code/style QA position at an agency. Little nervous about it because I'd have to review .NET stuff in addition to HTML/CSS/JS/PHP/design and I know squat about that so at the moment I'd have no idea whether something was right or not, but they said they generally don't screw that up anyway and there'll also be training, so hopefully it won't be too bad. Also it is a long trip on public transportation to get there but I'm used to that by now, meh. Should be cool overall!

You did miss something, although it's less because I am a jerk who enjoys toying with you and more because the thread that currently introduces Treg specifically is being scrapped and was never moved to the new board. The stuff you read that mentions him is going to be retooled a bit shortly, and there'll be more of a proper introduction when the game opens. I'm also working on some infodump pages for the wiki, including a basic character list that will later be expanded into full pages for the more important characters, but those probably won't be completely ready by opening day. Had to write a big ol' article for the grand opening TA saying "oops sorry you can't actually get surf/don't know who these people are/are confused by the unown sprites/etc. but seriously we didn't forget!" for a lot of things that won't quite be finished when we open, haha.

I probably had more fun with that shop than I should have.
    Heh. I was wondering why it seemed to be taking you so long to notice. Nah, it doesn't really bother me all that much. Sure, it'd be nice if you could show enough restraint to actually let yourself be pleasantly surprised once in a while :P, but it's not like there's anything visible that would be horribly spoilery or anything. And since you're planning on trying out for mods anyway, I suppose it doesn't hurt to be a little familiar with things already, eh?

All right! Tired, but all right. Just had an interview that seems to have gone well, so I'm hoping to hear back about that soon. And probably going to have to do a lot of cleaning tomorrow (today :( ) because the family from New York is coming down for my brother's graduation next week. I'm kinda hoping I can get some more finishing work done before a) spending a bunch of time with family and b) possibly having an Actual Job like an Actual Adult, so. We'll see how that goes.

How about you? I assume most of those weird software hurdles are behind you now, at the very least?
    The Turquoise one has been open a while, yes, although I'd assumed you hadn't seen it yet considering you'd asked about it before.
    All the boards that matter are open! Just not to guests! :D At any rate, if you really must continue snooping around there is something else "accidentally revealed" you could be checking out instead that might be more constructive anyway.

Always 70 BP, type randomized when the move is taught (or when a wild/trained pokémon that has it appears) and stays that way forever, so it's noted in the profile/in the battle notes.
    I hope you're not actually surprised by that.

But fiiiiine, if you're going to be all whiny and no fun about it... well, no, I need to leave the board open for the other non-admin staff member to see anyway. I don't actually care that much, especially given I'd half assumed you'd find it anyway with your arcane internet magicks and overpowering nosiness. Knock yourself out, I suppose, while I go off and cackle myself to sleep.
    I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued, but I just dunno that my head's in it right now. I might be a bit more amenable to modding in the near future if they (or you!) do want to continue with more flash stuff, though. Not immediately, but. ?
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom