• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Attacks and Abilities Guide

If an item is Knocked Off or Thieved and dropped, would it be gone permanently? Could a Pokémon be ordered to pick up the item?

If an item is thieved or knocked off, you just get it back at the end of the battle. If there's a free item lying on the ground, yes, a pokémon could be told to pick it up. However, pokémon can only use one held item at a time, so if they're already holding something they'd need to drop it first.

Let's say there's a Pokemon underwater. If I use an Electric attack, could I have it be used on the water, and be conducted into the opposing Pokemon? Similarly, if there is a metal construct of some sort that the opponent is standing on?

Also, and this is very specific, but if a Chinchou or Lanturn with Volt Absorb were to use an Electric attack while in water, would the water conducting the electricity around them activate Volt Absorb?

Generally electric attacks made underwater can't be directed the way they can on land because the water will conduct them in all directions. They are also weakened for the same reason. Anything in the water within the attack's normal range will take damage at half the attack's normal base power; secondary effects are retained but in the case of charge beam still get only one roll to activate.

As for the second question, volt absorb does not work against a pokémon's own attacks, so no, an unerwater thunderbolt from a chinchou with volt absorb would not cause it to regain health.

Hmm, point. I suppose it wouldn't take damage, but it wouldn't regain health, either. Likewise, a lightningrod/speed boost pokémon wouldn't take damage from their own electric attacks underwater, but wouldn't get the appropriate boosts, either.

And what of the metal construct? Same questions apply, though I suspect that motor drive, lightningrod and volt absorb would work the same.

Also, as far as electric and water attacks, can the absorb bulb/battery be activated by the holder's attacks?

Well, you would need to be actually trying to shoot the attack through the metal itself rather than just be standing on a metal surface and shooting at the opponent through the air as normal. Other than that it works the same way.

Yes, those items can be activated by the holder's own attacks.

If a Pokémon was ordered to use a contact attack while underground (the target being at the surface) would it dig up and attack? Or just stay underground and do nothing?

^^I've seen it done as a combo attack, I don't know if that's teh default though.

I keep remembering things I always wanted to know.

Sandile and Hippopotas. I figure the general rule of thumb is that if it's based on a sort-of-aquatic animal it can hold its breath for longer underwater. But being a Ground-type, does that affect it in any way? In short, can Sandile and Hippopotas hold their breath for longer than, say, Pikachu or Linoone?

Relatedly, can all Water types breathe underwater by default? I.e. Bibarel, Surskit, Pelipper, etc.

I think Negrek said once they can't breathe underwater without natural obvious gills, but they can survive longer underwater than a normal Pikachu or something

If a Pokémon was ordered to use a contact attack while underground (the target being at the surface) would it dig up and attack? Or just stay underground and do nothing?
It would stay underground and do nothing. It takes an action to dig down, so it also takes an action to return to the surface--you could only attack an opponent on the surface with a contact move if you made it a combo, i.e. "return to surface (or dig up) + attack".

^^I've seen it done as a combo attack, I don't know if that's teh default though.

I keep remembering things I always wanted to know.

Sandile and Hippopotas. I figure the general rule of thumb is that if it's based on a sort-of-aquatic animal it can hold its breath for longer underwater. But being a Ground-type, does that affect it in any way? In short, can Sandile and Hippopotas hold their breath for longer than, say, Pikachu or Linoone?

Relatedly, can all Water types breathe underwater by default? I.e. Bibarel, Surskit, Pelipper, etc.
Typing doesn't matter in terms of holding one's breath; only physical attributes do.

Only water types with gills can breathe underwater. So no to all the ones you listed, plus things like wailmer; things like horsea, mudkip, and so on will, though.

If a Pokemon is ordered to close their eyes and use an attack that cannot miss, will it still always hit?

EDIT: Also, Tackle is still listed as 35 Power, when it is now 50

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom