• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Character changes thread

My main problems are the removal of Crystal and the overalls. Still don't see how these being remakes of G/S justifies removing an established female character, but oh well. :/

@Male Gardevoir: I like everything else about Pearl, but don't get me started on his design. His hair looks like a bullet just grazed his head and turned it into a banana split.

I'm getting used to her, but yeah, she still looks like she belongs on a funny farm. Uh, not that there's anything inherently wrong with that. She just doesn't strike me as a trainer. As for what to call her, I personally think "Heart" sounds more appropriate. Then they could rename Silver "Soul" and keep Gold's name the same, or vice versa, though I prefer the former. Or just keep all the old names the same.

@Male Gardevoir: I like everything else about Pearl, but don't get me started on his design. His hair looks like a bullet just grazed his head and turned it into a banana split.

His design is pretty much why I love him, that and his personality.

In other words, if I were a girl I'd masturbate any time he or artwork of him was around.

I really don't see what's not there to like about him. He's headstrong and reckless, but not perfect and with his own flaws, it makes him more realistic in one sense, and it makes him feel more familiar, as if he actually was your childhood friend.

You know, i never got to play Crystal, but i still don't really like the design of the new character. The overalls, and the hat thing? I really don't know what they were thinking, but overalls and big puffy hats aren't really great traveling clothes, especally (If anyone here has EVER worn overalls you know exactly what i'm talking about) since you have to practically take off all of your clothes to use the bathroom. And puffy hats fall off. Of course, it is just a video game, and these are the insane ramblings of a crazy sixteen year old, so there you go.

Oh, and as for silver, he was badass. A jerk who needed to be smacked, yes, but Silver is the only human pokemon character you will ever see me do anything realitively close to 'fangirl' about. Mostly because i do not fangirl, and never will. I just quietly and obsessivly learn everything i possibly can and then write stories.(Okay, maybe that's closer to stalker then). So, yeah, if they screw up his sprite i'm gonna be pissed, but it would take a lot to screw him up. And if they do, well, there really isn't anything we can do but complain.
(As for all of you who noticed the "human" part of that, i am completely obsessed with Mewtwo, who is also badass.)

In other words, if I were a girl I'd masturbate any time he or artwork of him was around.
Why "if you were a girl"?

Yeah, the girl's design is pretty ugly but eh. Sapphire's design's terrible, too; it's nothing new.

It just means I'll be playing as Gold. :3

ON SILVER BEING HARD TO FIGHT: Haha no. He is really, really easy. I mean I was playing Crystal in Italian recently with an underleveled team and he was still cake. I didn't even know what I was doing part of the time and all of GSC is so easy. Easier than the rest of the series, even.

Oh, and as for silver, he was badass. A jerk who needed to be smacked, yes, but Silver is the only human pokemon character you will ever see me do anything realitively close to 'fangirl' about. Mostly because i do not fangirl, and never will. I just quietly and obsessivly learn everything i possibly can and then write stories.(Okay, maybe that's closer to stalker then). So, yeah, if they screw up his sprite i'm gonna be pissed, but it would take a lot to screw him up. And if they do, well, there really isn't anything we can do but complain.
(As for all of you who noticed the "human" part of that, i am completely obsessed with Mewtwo, who is also badass.)

It actually doesn't. They F'ed up Krys's replacement badly. Lucas was already a mess but DAMN his design went rock bottom in plat. Nintendo isn't known for good redesigns (see starfox) Silver's (fan names ugh) hair style looks a bit out of wack in his sprite so im already concerned. They can possibly do WORSE than *snicker* soul (fan name again?)

Silver's (fan names ugh) hair style looks a bit out of wack in his sprite so im already concerned.
Where're you getting that it's a fan name?

Pokemon Special has the main male as Gold, the rival as Silver, and the girl as Chris/Krys/Kris/however it's spelled today. It's easier to just go by the Special names.

Where're you getting that it's a fan name?

Pokemon Special has the main male as Gold, the rival as Silver, and the girl as Chris/Krys/Kris/however it's spelled today. It's easier to just go by the Special names.

And for me, its easier to call Brendan "Brendan" instead of Ruby. And even then that might not be his official as I haven't heard where it was official. Hell its not even one of the name choices.

Like everyone says about the anime, Manga =/= Games, so I dont understand why people persist that they ARE the official names in the first place. We all know Ash is not the main character of RGBY, but most people prefer to call him that name anyways (including the nintendo power guides for GS as well as the Versus guide for RBY). That character's name was established as Red and his Rival as Blue as those names have appeared in the games. The characters in GSC have not been officially named, and that goes for the characters in RSE and DPPt. But this is a debate best left untouched cause as far as im concerned, its not worth the time and thought. I personally prefer to call the GS rival "Vega" because thats how bad ass he is.

Both Brendan and Ruby are canon names; it just changes depending on which canon you're paying attention to. Brendan, May, Dawn, and Lucas are all named that in the games if you don't play as them, so yeah, they're canon names too. Just not the manga canon ones. Where are you getting that they haven't been officially named? I'd say that if the names are set when you start the game and if you can't rename them, they're officially named.

But they are official names. Not the ONLY official names, but they're still official.

If you call the GSC rival "Vega" in a discussion, people are not going to know who you're speaking of. No, he doesn't have a set name anywhere other than the manga, but if you say "Silver", people will know who you mean. You can just say "the GSC rival", too, but that's not a name. That's a description.

ETA: Yeah, it's probably easier to call him Brendan than Ruby if you want everyone to understand you, but Brendan actually has a set name, so. I go with Ruby and Sapphire and Diamond and Platinum for Brendan and May and Lucas and Dawn, but that's because it fits in better with the rest.

Both Brendan and Ruby are canon names; it just changes depending on which canon you're paying attention to. Brendan, May, Dawn, and Lucas are all named that in the games if you don't play as them, so yeah, they're canon names too.

Oh yeah...:P

Where are you getting that they haven't been officially named? I'd say that if the names are set when you start the game and if you can't rename them, that's their names.

Have you EVER seen Gold, krys, or Silver...refered to as such in the games? Therefore im inclined to say thats NOT their names.

But they are official names. Not the ONLY official names, but they're still official.

But they aren't the MAIN official names either. A lot of people dont have access to the manga series to know what fans refer to them as. Therefore just calling them "official" holds nothing because people can easily say "Jimmy" is official because he's based off the same character.

If you call the GSC rival "Vega" in a discussion, people are not going to know who you're speaking of.

Funny, in other fan communities, people understood fully of who I was speaking about.

You can just say "the GSC rival", too, but that's not a name. That's a descrption.

It still works though.

You said that "the characters in RSE and DPPt" have not been given official names! They have. No, Gold, Silver, and Crystal do not have official names for the games, but they have official names for the manga and that one anime bit. Why be annoyed when people use them for the game versions?

Gold is the main male character of GSC. The main male character of the GSC games is not necessarily Gold.

Did people understand who you meant if you talked about "Vega" without context?

Yeah, of course descriptions work. But they're not names.

Actually, I thought your Rival in G/S/C became Silver if you didn't name him when you had the chance. Am I wrong about that being his official name?

You had a choice for if you were going to name him? I don't remember that. Mind you, it's been ages.

The fandom's usual rule for names considered official is basically i) the name given to the character when they're used as an NPC that can't be named, or ii) if there is no such name, the first name you are given as an option below "New Name" when you start a new game in the "first" version of the pair (Red, Gold, Ruby, FireRed, Diamond). That makes the male character from R/B/Y "Red", the rival "Blue", the male character from G/S/C "Gold", the female character from Crystal "Kris", the G/S/C rival "Silver" (since you don't get default names for him, that's what you get when you press "End" without actually giving a name in Gold, which amounts to the same thing), the main characters of R/S/E "Brendan" and "May", the main characters of D/P/Pt "Lucas" and "Dawn" and the D/P/Pt rival "Barry" (though "Pearl" is also possible if you choose "New Name" and then end it without entering anything and that is his name in the manga). The FR/LG girl is somewhat of a special case; in FireRed, Green is the rival's name, not hers, but there is no good basis for choosing any non-color name over another, and "Fire" could lead to confusion with the FireRed version of Red, so even though she has a long list of possible default names (chosen at random when the name is ended but nothing has been entered) and Leaf is only one of them, the fans have settled on referring to her by that name.

Likewise, for HeartGold and SoulSilver, Silver is taken by the rival, so the new female character has to get another name; Soul is used to avoid confusion with Gold.

Funny, in other fan communities, people understood fully of who I was speaking about.
...why in the world would anyone but you connect "Vega" to the G/S/C rival?

Anyway, I don't mind the new female character; I just really liked Kris, and I don't like the huge hat with the red bow. :/ I'll probably play as Gold, but if Soul looks better in the overworld sprite, I could possibly pick her.

Back
Top Bottom