• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Characterize Yourself As a Trainer

I also talk to my Pokemon. I nickname them all, and sometimes nickname them last syllable, first syllable.

I usually raise only one Pokemon, my starter, that I nickname and power-level, as well as try to make it as happy as possible, with a party of HM grunts with no names, and a whole bunch of boxes of captured Pokemon with no names or love ever shown. And then, because I have so many games, I pool them all into one super-party each gen. (Emerald's Swampert, Pearl's Infernape, and (planned) Black's Smugleaf.)

I also use one box for Party Members (I currently have 7) one for trainees (4..or is it 5?) and one for contest Pokemon (4..or is it 5?)

I nickname my in-game team and usually nothing else. Occasionally something will show up that I feel the urge to nickname, but usually not. I think my Black has these Pokemon nicknamed:

Skipper the Samurott
Tyrone the Eelektross
Franny the Darmanitan
Adolf the Hydreigon
Carter the Sawk
Betsy the Leavanny
Amidala the Beheeyem
Jambo the Dragonite
Smaug the Kingdra
Leviathan the Kingler

And I think that's it. I use plenty of other things in my team--Toxicroak, Weavile, Reshiram, Klinklang--but they don't have nicknames. Only things that I feel like I need to nickname, which has recently only been things over Level 60.

The first time I play through a new generation I catch every new thing I see. After that, it's only rares or things I particularly like. Such as Cryogonal, Cubchoo, Ferroseed, Mienfoo. Not things like Woobat or Roggenrola.

I also train Pokemon as evenly as possible, though my no-save Diamond playthrough is proving that to be difficult. I get everything to Level 25, say, then the last thing to get to 25 is the first thing to get to 26. Then everything gets to 26 one at a time.

An exception to this rule is when something desperately needs to evolve, such as my Sapphire Fighting mono's Meditite. That got to Level 37 while everything else was 34. I needed Ice Punch for Winona.

I also keep rotating my team after the main game. My Diamond file has the most fill-ins, some legendary (though I never use legendaries for in-game teams, aside from my N/Ghetsis battle where I used Reshiram because Garbodor sucks), but Black is where I rotate the most. Toxicroak will probably be replaced by Hippowdon, and I all of a sudden really want a Cinccino to carry around.

I also have to use at least one new thing every time I restart a game, but I hate overlapping types. Which makes choosing a Water type hell. I hate Hoenn because its Grass-types and Fire-types are very limited, and having used Breloom, Ludicolo, Roselia, Sceptile, Bellossom and Vileplume that really only leaves Tropius (I refuse to use Shiftry) when I still have Wailord, Azumarill, Starmie, Seaking, and more to use. I also hate Sinnoh because of all of its old Pokemon and its lack of diversely-typed 4th Gen Pokemon. I want to use more than an Infernape, dammit, and I'm not using Rapidash because I need it for FireRed/LeafGreen runthroughs.

My head hurts now.

Personaly I think my way of being a trainer is simple. If one of my pokemon`s level gets higher than the rest, I grind train them until they get that level too. Also, I dont step foot in the gym until all my pokemon are the level of the gym leader's strongest pokemon. Btw i nickname all my pokemon. Simple, right?

If one of my pokemon`s level gets higher than the rest, I grind train them until they get that level too. Also, I dont step foot in the gym until all my pokemon are the level of the gym leader's strongest pokemon.

I train mine five levels at a time. (60 to 65, switch, 60 to 65, switch)

When my sisters and I were trying to catch the legendary dogs on Colosseum we'd imitate them. Yeah, we'd basically roar at the screen - on four legs, no less. I don't even know. That was the only time we did that, mind you.

I seem to have taken up the habit of covering the Pokeball when I'm catching something, not sure why.

I tend to name my characters after friends, and when that happens I tend to end Pokemon after myself/my friends. That lends itself to amusing scenarios like the infamous "you should breed them!" conversation (in reference to Pokemon!me and Pokemon!my then-crush) and Pokemon!me dying within five minutes in a Nuzlocke (the story of which reduced one of my friends to hysterical laughter).

Otherwise, I usually give them nicknames, but not always. I also make up teams but never use the planned ones because by the time I can catch the later members my beginning-game team is far superior.

I'ma trainer who likes to train only one, maybe two pokemon at a time. I just use the other four so I have time to heal the other 2 in battle.

It depends. I always nickname my pokemon, creatively or not, and will not use them if they have no nickname. Unless it's a legendary, which I don't nickname or use. I don't reallly believe in that.

As for me, I can't for the life of me stick to a team for any length of time. I can manage to get through the League without getting too sidetracked, but after that I just keep switching from 'water monotype!' to 'flying monotype' to 'I want a shuppet!' and on and on. I also nickname everything but my legendaries.

That fits me pretty well! If by sticking to a team you mean not catching everything in sight. I often have over ten, and in White I'm pretty sure I have about fifteen or so. Which all have to be the same level. However, the ones I'm planning to use for a gym are allowed to be above the rest as long I grind the rest up to par later.

I have far too many superstitions. For example, I still mash buttons while trying to catch pokemon; it just feels wrong otherwise. Often when my pokemon is confused I cover up the animation with my thumb, as if not seeing it will help. Occasionally, I do cheer for my pokemon and things like that, but I'm not above fainting them to cause a win. I often develop personalities for them, like my starter being very competitive but sometimes serious. These often clash with natures, which I disregard because I often reset to get a good one.

I used to just train my starter, and then beat the game like that. Now I try and train six Pokemon, no legends, and beat the Elite 4 that way. I've tried that on 3 games so far, and I've only actually beaten the E4 successfully on one of those occasions. On Diamond I had possibly my favourite team, which had a Lucario, a Torterra, and an Alakazam among others I can't remember. Next I tried it on HG, and that was the only time I managed to actually beat the Elite 4. And that's because I grinded on bus rides on the band trip. I tried it on my Black as well before my Mom, uh, got rid of it, but I had a horrible team. My problem is my short attention span, meaning I absolutely despise grinding.

For nicknames, I originally just gave my Pokemon random ones I came up with. Avenger the Salamence, Scorch the Ninetales, Sharpshark the Sharpedo, things like that that are mildly creative, but still make sense. Now the last time I played through Black, and now on my White, I have a theme. On Black everybody was named after a soccer/football player that I thought were fitting (Hooray for Ozil the Eelektross). Now on White my main 6 are named after an Inception character.

I used to just train my starter, and then beat the game like that. Now I try and train six Pokemon, no legends, and beat the Elite 4 that way. I've tried that on 3 games so far, and I've only actually beaten the E4 successfully on one of those occasions. On Diamond I had possibly my favourite team, which had a Lucario, a Torterra, and an Alakazam among others I can't remember. Next I tried it on HG, and that was the only time I managed to actually beat the Elite 4. And that's because I grinded on bus rides on the band trip. I tried it on my Black as well before my Mom, uh, got rid of it, but I had a horrible team. My problem is my short attention span, meaning I absolutely despise grinding.

This, so much. It's pretty much why I can't deal with Nuzlocks for the most part (don't get me wrong, it's pretty much the only way I play) but I just hate grinding. Like on an Emerald Nuzlocke I was doing, I had six pokemon. Alright, decent enough team of Swampert, Claydol, Tropius, Kecleon, and a couple others I forget right now. I was in the middle of grinding them all to level 60 (literally, I had finished three and was moving onto the others) when I said "Forget this, I'll just go in with you three. (Swampert, Kecleon, and Claydol) Oddly enough I won. I was extremely happy.

I am a tyrainer because I love to battle. I burn with the heat of a Houndoom, and I have a heart of darkness to where I show no mercy to my opponent. That is me as a Trainer.

Hrm. Well, my starter never gets boxed. Ever. I also usually keep it at least 2-3 levels above the rest of the team, although I do try to keep everyone on mostly the same level. I also usually stick to one team for the majority of the game, and it's usually Pokemon that you find pretty early on, unless I have a favourite that you can't catch until later on, because I have a tendency of getting stupidly attached to the little bits of data and pixels that get me where I am. :p (I do go on long enough to create a balanced team, which is put together around my starter.) Since I keep my Pokemon around, I spread out my HMs between them and don't use slaves.

I'm also not a very strategic player whatsoever. I mean, sure, I keep type advantages/disadvantages in mind, but I don't really pay much attention to how natures affect stats and such. I don't have the patience to EV train, although I do tend to grind pretty often. When I'm grinding, I usually pick a random number that all of my Pokemon have to reach before I proceed. I also usually have my favourites in my team, regardless of their actual usefulness in-game. I also don't breed Pokemon, which means I don't take advantage of the option of getting a Pokemon with a superior movepool/stat set than the ones you can catch in the wild.

I nickname all my Pokemon (sometimes I get my dorkiness on and name them after fictional characters or songs and whatnot), and sometimes they're super lame but I don't use the name rater to change them as I grow attached to the lameness (see: 'Falafel' the Treecko). I also used to name them in the style of proper nouns, although that looks odd with everything else being in caps so I'll probably stop doing that when I restart my game/s. The names are usually some noun that have a tenuous connection to the Pokemon itself, or something stupid and random, so I don't often end up with a Pokemon with a 'normal' name.

I almost never use TM's in games where they're single-use and hoard them instead, because for some reason I'm afraid I'll choose something I'll want to replace due to practicality at some point and therefore have wasted it. Same with rare candies.

I try to catch one of every breed of Pokemon, even if I have no plans for it other than sticking it in my PC forever. Due to my habit of boxing Pokemon, I don't catch duplicates, either. (Despite this, I have never fully completed a Pokedex.) For some reason, I occasionally find myself having a preference on the gender of a certain Pokemon, and I'll wait around until I can catch one of that sex. I almost always play as a male trainer, though. Sometimes I play them with my nickname (which is gender neutral, so it works out), sometimes not, although the rival always keeps their canon name.

I don't release Pokemon because it makes me feel bad (which doesn't make a lot of sense for the ones that are just PC warmers) . This is one of the reasons I don't pay attention to natures, as like I said, I don't do duplicates either.

I try to keep my Pokemon as happy as possible and get upset if they faint or are poisoned (and I have to rush them to the Pokemon Center), and it makes me giddy whenever I find out my Pokemon like me. I talk to them in my head and always cheer them on when they're having a difficult battle.

This doesn't have anything to do with me as a trainer, but I almost never finish a game completely because I tend to get distracted before I have the chance. I still mash the 'A' button while trying to catch a Pokemon. Habit, I guess.

(Wow, my first post in years is just me rambling about myself. XD Okay.
ETA: ...Holy shit, how did this get so huge??)

Well, if I really had to describe myself, here is what I will say.

I am a trainer and will raise any Pokemon with care. However, I will not bother raising those Pokemon that are destined to be lame. I will raise those Pokemon that are weak, only if they end up becoming strong. However, my team will be amazing and strong. I shall raise weak Pokemon, but they shall not do any battle, for they are unworthy of battling alongside me.

As for opponents, I simply love battling. I can never back down from a fight and if I lose, I get back up and continue battling until I have beaten them. There is nothing I cannot overcome.

I always use the starter, plus a bunch of Pokémon that look cool... I like to have my team complete before going for the 8th badge, for roleplaying reasons... I always have a fire, water, electric and bird (more specific than flying) types, unless I start with the grass type (very rarely though). The bird is usually the first ones you can catch. The water one is usually Gyarados since there are only a few water Pokémon that I like.

I powerlevel a lot and usually beat the gyms on my first try.

Back
Top Bottom