• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Characterize Yourself As a Trainer

I decide to continually and constantly nickname my various Pokemon on historical figures, and in the case of this current generation, chemical elements. It has become a rather odd habit of myself, especially considering the negative reactions by a handful of my close friends when they soon realize this pattern follows into legendaries as well.

I always nickname my Pokemon! (based on their appearance)

As far as strategy goes, I'm... not really a healthy trainer. I never check for happiness, but I can guarantee you most of my Pokemon hate me. Mostly just because I tend to sacrifice all but one of them whenever I find myself in a major battle.

I tend to name 'majestic' female pokemon(gardevior, milotic, roserade, ninetails, bellossom, delcatty, espeon, mew, frosslass, lopunny, etc) after names I would name my daughter.(Julia, Amy, Rose, Crystal, Ebony, etc)

No nicknames ever.
And I always absolutely must have my starter at a higher level than anything else on my team. Or if I'm not using my starter, whatever my favourite is. Even if I'm grinding something else up to take on a gym or whatever, if it ends up equalling my starter I have to get my starter up a few levels so I can keep on training the other.

I always store legendaries away in a box never to be removed, except for if I'm on Emerald and cant be bothered to train for E4 and break out the Rayquaza instead, or the short time where I toyed with having a Zekrom on my White team. Also back during Silver's heyday I had a lv100 Mewtwo I kept swapping between my Yellow and Silver games every time I restarted. I may still have that Mewtwo, actually.

Also, from Gen 4 onwards I've taken to setting aside a box so I can have an enormous party and use the 40+ Pokémon in rotation as and when I feel like using them. Usually in the postgame, though; I tend to stick to a party of six throughout the main story. Though any Pokémon that get discarded from my party as it develops usually end up in the party box.

EVs and natures can go fuck themselves.

No Great Balls ever. I stick to Poké Balls until Ultras are available and then skip straight over to them. I really don't know why. I also avoid ever using my Master Ball unless I can help it. Again, absolutely no reason. And I always buy Poké Balls in nines because Premier Balls are stupid.

I never, ever used to use female Pokémon. Like, if a female of a Pokémon I wanted came up I'd consciously ignore it and wait for a male. Again, for no actual reason. I've stopped caring about this so much but my teams still always end up 80% male. Because I'm apparently an evil misogynist wanker at heart.

-I always nickname my Pokemon that I like/are in my main team. ALWAYS. And they have to make sense, too. (Ex. Tesla for Tynamo, Venus (Fly Trap) for Snivy, ect.)

-I do the weird level thing where I level up once then switch out to a lower leveled Pokemon. This deteriorates mid-game, though, and I just go with who's evolving next/learning a good move/ ect.

-I plan my team before I buy the game, based on stats and general awesomeness of final evo/kawaii-ness of base form, along with the standard Fire/Water/Grass/Flying/Electric/Random thing. I usually don't stick to the type plan if I don't find one good enough for me.

-I never use legends in my party. I just collect them (hence my name) and store them in the Legend box.

I love leveling up Magikarp. I spent 1000 in pokemon blue and now have 2 lvl 75 gyarados's. I'm gonna do the same thing in my pokemon white. Also I tend to start breeding for shiny but give up after I fill up 2 PC boxes full, even using masuda method(or whatever it is called, using Jap ditto)

- Every Pokemon I catch has to have a nickname and that nickname has to be correct, case wise (eg. it has to be 'Name', rather than 'NAME' or 'name').

- I prefer male Pokemon because I think male names are better and easier to come up with than female names.

- I rarely keep my starter on my team, especially if it's a Gen VI or Gen V game. Instead, I just find what works for me and go with it. My team usually gets established fairly early in the game and I feel really guilty if I replace an 'original' member during my run through.

I nickname everything, normally on a theme, usually after whatever TV show I'm watching at any given moment. When I run out of names of characters, I start naming them after whatever comes to mind, which are usually either random objects in the room (so I end up with PC boxes full of "Chair" and "Green Mug") or food items (this usually happens when I'm hungry).

I get ridiculously attached to certian Pokemon on my team - there's no real rhyme or reason as to which Pokemon I fall in love with, although being named after my favourite characters helps - and start hating on other team members if they keep levelling up before my faves.

As for teams, I use whatever I like. I don't care too much about Evs or what Pokemon are objectively good, although I do enjoy thrashing my housemate at every oppurtunity.
I also try and use a different set of Pokemon every runthrough, although I have something like four level 100 Swamperts on Ruby somewhere.

I nickname everything! Usually I'll go with a naming theme for my team and just name everything else after random things like Dannichu does. XD I think I had a while where I used a random word from its Pokedex entry. My naming themes are usually fandoms I'm really into at the moment, but more recently just something like stars or types of trees or flowers which is super-fun.

I get pretty attached to my main team, to the point where I have a huge love for that species forever after using it. I like to use things I haven't used before, too! That's why I find monos and Nuzlockes so fun! I don't care about EVs or anything like that at all, but I do pay attention to what natures things have so that I can develop their personalities in my head. :D

I often restart until I get a female starter, too. Just, like. Because. And I have a good liking for water (especially gen 1 for some reason, Lapras and Starmie omg <3), grass or flying Pokes! That's all I can think of right now.

Well, sort of on topic, I use every chance I get to name a Pokemon after a character from a show or a book or whatever, even if I'm just going to throw it in the PC afterwards. I do this more than I'm conscious of, apparently, because the three effort-trained Pokemon that I use in the Battle Tower are all named after TV show characters! And I didn't realize this until recently... (Come to think of it, I also spend days or weeks trying to get a certain Shiny Pokemon if I think of a good character that it goes with... or if I'm lucky, I already have that shiny, so I just have to rename it. But I try to name Shinies after characters especially.)

I don't think I have any strange habits when it comes to training... I sometimes nickname, sometimes don't... currently on my team, half of my Pokemon have nicknames and half don't. But that's because I'm in the postgame, and usually when I'm going through at the beginning, I nickname every Pokemon on my team. And sometimes I give crazy random nicknames, and sometimes they make sense. For example, whenever I catch a Sawk, I nickname it "Sock," but the Scraggy that I used throughout Black was nicknamed "Shoes" (and somehow he ended up on the team at the same time as Sock at some point, which makes a little sense).

I also tend to get really attached to the Pokemon I name after TV/book characters, even if I don't particularly like the characters themselves.

And sometimes I remember having a Pokemon years ago and nicknaming it something totally random, so when I catch a Pokemon of that same species, I give it the same name as the Pokemon years ago (like Firemy the Charmander or Ayena the Mightyena). I tend to like to bring back old things that I used to do in my Pokemon games... the Firemy the Charmander thing is extreme, since that's the first thing that I ever did the first time I ever played a Pokemon game -- I picked up Pokemon Blue, wondering what it was, and chose Charmander and called it Firemy. I'd still like to restart the Blue version that I have and do that over again at some point.

Before I actually start a new game I also pre-plan an amazing team I would use, but come actually playing the game I end up using the first couple of pokemon I caught because I grow madly attached to them and feel guilty if the faint. Before Gen V I would always, always have a crobat in my team, I guess there's just something about seeing a virtual animal alter shape because it was programmed to love you just because you walked around with it that tugs at my rusty heart strings, that and it can fly me everywhere. I never pick starters based on type, movepool, usability but instead on just how adorable they are hence totodile, torchic, turtwig and teapig. I have the rather irritating habit of giving an individual 'name' to every single pokemon I catch, I say 'name' because it usually just boils down to random strings of letters in the semblance of a pronounceable word. I also never, never use any rare candies or the master ball, I hoard them instead because you just never know when you might need them.
Oh my quaint and humorous traits, how you bother me so.

~Oh~

*Nicknames are properly cased
*Nicknames are based off of characteristics of the Pokémon
*I try for balanced gender, but ti doesn't always work out correctly
*Male trainer. Always. Better design and nostalgia.
*Canon names for PC. Correct language too, unless Pokémon Black and White. Hilbert and Hilda? Hell no, sticking with Touya and Touko thankyouverymuch.
*No legionaries. Why would I stop using the Pokémon I just grinded non-stop?
*I plan my team out and only catch them unless I need a crutch. Said crutch then gets boxed.
*I actually get a little bit worried about my Pokémon when they're about to faint. And I have a habit of cheering them on.
*I don't use HM Slaves; HM moves are spread around. Unless it's Black and White in which Cut goes on the soon-to-be boxed monkey, Fly goes on my Flying type, and Surf goes on my Water-type.
*The pattern for my team is Water/Fire/Grass/Flying/Electric/Psychic or Dark. Dual types preferred for variety. Starter stays on team.

And that's all I can think of.

- Every time I name a character or Pokémon, it's properly cased.
- When trying to catch a legendary or generally difficult-to-catch Pokémon and failing for the first few dozen times, I give the Pokémon an evil stare and if I still don't catch it, I whimper and beg into the microphone.
- I used to have a theme for naming my Pokémon in each game. For example, in Emerald, all my Pokémon were named after foods. In Platinum, their names all started with C (with the exception of iCarly, but C was still the first capital letter in her name).
- This seems to have fallen apart, though now I just try to name my Pokémon according to what suits them. If nothing suitable comes to mind, I name them the first word or name that pops into my head. I also tend to form a chain with their names. For example, in XD my character name is Epic - my Eevee was then named Casseius and my next obtained Pokémon's name started with S.

I'll post more when i think of them?

I train my Pokemon to be the best of the best, only allowing Pokemon with higher level than the ones on my team to be on my team. I hardly ever try to complete a PokeDex, I only want to become stronger and become champion. I also name all of the Pokemon I catch and try to form some bond with them.

I have to use at least one pokemon based off a dinosaur on my team. I also usually replace at least one member of my team after I beat the main storyline. I use my normal team in the battle tower instead of an actual planned team. Same goes for competitive. On every team I have trouble deciding between any two pokemon for whatever reason.

I think, first and foremost, I would never, ever be able to get rid of whatever Pokémon I have. |D; I just get, like... attached to things like that, especially animals, so that'd definitely carry over to PKMN Trainer Loffy. :B I'd do a lot of traveling, because I love sightseeing and such... but then get rather ill due to a combination of allergies and being horrendously out of shape (the latter would probably fade with time, though). I have a poor reaction time, though, so I think I'd actually fail as a Trainer at all; it's just EEE POKÉMON THEY'RE SO AWESOME AND FUN AND WHEE c: I suppose, that's what would draw me to it. And traveling. Because that's always fun~

-I rarely ever use my starter pokemon for battles, leaving it solely for contests and such :3

-I have 6 elite pokemon that are all the same level and EV'd, but all the other pokemon are trained casually and according to how I think their abilities and talents lie.

-Yes, I actually write backstories for every single one of my pokemon, all of which are nicknamed with cheesy nicknames that I come up with on the spot.

-I always have a level 90-something unevolved Eevee. Always. Nostalgic reasons<3

-Generally have a water, flying, fire, psychic, dark, and ghost types as my team.

-I save rare candies for evolving, not training xD

-My character's name is always Sky, Skylar, or Cloudy '.' Hehe.

-More, which I'm prob'ly forgetting.

For the main story:

~I always use my starter. I just pick the one I like best, which usually ends up being the Fire type..but not always.

~For first playthroughs, I usually just catch any cool stuff I find and use it, though sometimes I might have some vague idea of what I want to have. I always have a Flying-type for Fly and a Water-type for Surf (or Zigzagoon in Sapphire :P)

~Normally, I don't nickname the Pokemon on my "story" team or my legendaries, but I did start doing that in Black. I had a Samurott called Alfred and a Zebstrika called Choco Pie, so..no real theme there.

~I don't usually care about Natures or EVs or IVs, although in Black I was a little bit more aware of them.

~Usually most of my team is male, for whatever reason. In Black it was even.

For post-game:

~I only train Pokemon that I like. They have to have good stats, though!

~I breed to get perfect natures and IVs in the stats I want. If not perfect, than at least close or "good enough." My favorites are fast Pokemon and ones that have high offensive stats.

~After getting the baby I want, I level it up to 50 or so with Rare Candy. Then I EV train it with Pokerus and power items.. Once EVs are done, I level it to 100 with candy.

~I nickname every Pokemon I plan to use (with the exception of just a few). Some of them have to do with their appearance or type (Volt the Manectric), some are mythological (Hestia the Salamence), but most are pet names or people names (Queen the Tyranitar, Sammy the Jolteon).. I like to look up name meanings to match the looks or personality I imagine the Pokemon to have. Every now and then I'll name my pokes after people I know or characters from whatever I'm into at the time.

Well, since you want "strange" traits...

I talk to my pokemon out loud, if nobody is around (or if there's enough background noise so that nobody would hear me); otherwise, I "talk" to them inside my head. When I battle, I'll be urging my pokemon on and cheering when they manage to faint a tough opponent or if they survived a powerful attack with a sliver of HP left.

During important battles when it is strategically better to allow a pokemon to faint so I can switch out without penalties, I'll apologize to my pokemon before they faint and explain to them why it must happen, and revive them the first chance I get.

If I'm trying to capture a wild pokemon to purely to 'dex completion reasons, but said pokemon refuses to be captured, I'll promise them that I'll release them after I get their data entry and promptly do just that. Actually, I try to keep promises I make to my pokemon in general, and if I couldn't (or if I forgot about it and then remembered too late), I would buy them a Soda Pop or something and give it to them when it's not needed (as in, they almost have max health) to make up for it.

... I think I'm taking the games too seriously.

Back
Top Bottom