• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

COVID-19

And my state is forcing all restaurants to close (except for take-out/delivery) for a MONTH starting Tuesday. I know it's a pandemic... but a MONTH where I CAN'T go to work?! How the fuck am I supposed to pay my damn rent?

Only 5 confirmed cases in Missouri right now, so that's good. My little brother's off school until April-something, definitely a week or two in. My mom's had a foot injury (to keep a very long story short) so she hasn't been able to drive, she's been working from home for 6 weeks now. Former downside that is now an upside, because of that I've had no ride to work and I've also been home for 6 weeks. Now her work is saying absolutely everyone that is able to work from home must.

So that's 3/4 people at home who are more or less stuck there, though on the flipside my mom actually leaves every weekday to go to her hyperbaric chamber treatment, one of the grandparents takes her.

I'm somewhat worried about an upcoming get-together with my friends. Idk before tonight I wasn't really worried, but I just spent the last two hours scrolling through news stories and update pages and the CDC website and all sorts of things and now I feel a lot more worried than before. Said get-together is usually like we all go to the same house and stay over for several days and nights, like an adult slumber party I guess lol. We planned it around both his birthday (the 19th) and Animal Crossing release. I think I wouldn't normally be too worried but there's like six of us and two of the six are currently student teachers in different schools, so up until several days ago they've been around a ton of kids. And then another one of us mentioned he was feeling sick recently!!! Probably not COVID-19 but still.

The host (and soon-to-be birthday boy) is and has been even more nervous than I currently am, he tried to take a vote on whether we should still get together, but only 3 of us voted. The three that voted voted yes, but now that I look at it, the other two that voted (I was one) were the guy who mentioned feeling sick Friday evening and one of the two that was student teaching. I'm not sure how to feel...I'm probably just feeling extra paranoid from looking at all this stuff on the internet for the last couple of hours. I know only 5 confirmed cases doesn't mean there aren't more we don't know about, but we're also not like our neighbor Illinois who is up to I think I read like 90-something cases.

Just got the e-mail that we'll all be working from home for at least the next week and are discouraged from returning to the building outside of essential staff unless we forgot something etc. Have admittedly been doing a lot of "working" from home today, but I have actual stuff to do so it'll be time to get serious tomorrow after a nice break.

No reported cases in the city yet, but there is obvious community transmission in the state and multiple confirmed cases the next town over, so I expect it's out there circulating by now. Gonna hang out except for going to get groceries (hopefully after the initial bolus of panic-buying stock will be better than when I went shopping last week, was expecting zero TP or hand sanitizer, was not expecting there to be no bananas, carrots, etc.), for walks, and that's it for the next couple weeks.

I suspect my workplace is gonna stay open until/unless a case pops up or the governor yells at us to close, because I work with Fun Chemicals and we can’t work from home.

So it turns out my concerns about this affecting the industry were wrong, because we are now FLOODED with stores asking if their orders can get moved up. Amazing.

supposedly they’re re-evaluating our situation on a daily basis, but I honestly think (judging from some comments I heard from higher ups) that that’s them covering their asses until/unless either the governor cracks down (so far non-essential business shutdown is not being enforced????) or someone gets sick. Probably more likely that even illness won’t close us unless someone ends up hospitalized or worse. I hate capitalism.

My company's advised working from home, so I stopped by the office briefly this morning to fetch my work laptop and then just went straight back home. Public transport seems to be taking lots of measures, but it'll still be reassuring to not have to take the bus every day.

I hope everyone's local/state governments are taking appropriate measures to keep everyone afloat.

I guess I'm probably a little less disrupted by all the shutdowns than others as I don't currently have a job, ahaha... just means all the more reason to keep focusing my search on remote positions for the time being. Other than that I guess it's mostly business as usual for me personally, but it's definitely disrupting various aspects of my family's life and watching everything's just kinda surreal.

I am in the fun position of having to go to the eye doctor tomorrow, and the eye doctor's office is literally in a hospital. Thankfully it shouldn't be the part of the building where people with known/suspected COVID should be checking themselves in, so I'm not really all that worried (and while there are some cases loosely in the area, I don't think we've had a significant number yet), but it's kind of a weird thought, heh. I wish I could reschedule but there is unfortunately something of a deadline on getting these glasses double-checked and maybe returned, so bleh.

I am in the fun position of having to go to the eye doctor tomorrow, and the eye doctor's office is literally in a hospital. Thankfully it shouldn't be the part of the building where people with known/suspected COVID should be checking themselves in, so I'm not really all that worried (and while there are some cases loosely in the area, I don't think we've had a significant number yet), but it's kind of a weird thought, heh. I wish I could reschedule but there is unfortunately something of a deadline on getting these glasses double-checked and maybe returned, so bleh.

Aaaand then the doctor's office called and told me they were postponing the appointment after all. All outpatient visits for everyone immediately canceled effective today. Kinda sucks re: getting my glasses checked out/returned in a timely manner, but nice to not have to go in... although that's... not great for people who needed appointments for serious issues. The hospital itself is still open if things get really bad for someone, of course, but I can only hope no one's getting anything really important delayed by this :/

Stay safe, Eifie! D:

my province has hit state of emergency and things have started shutting down. thankfully the restaurant my family works for managed to scrape together the money for a month's pay, so things are a bit less dire, but there's no telling if it'll be able to come back from the shutdown at all. we're trying to plan while not thinking too much about that possibility right now!

another plus is that my grandmother's condition is improving, but she's still very old and very vulnerable so keeping her isolated is especially important. overall I'm fairly confident in the province and country's response (apart from closing the borders to all travel except from america, which seems exceedingly pointless) but dread still creeps up sometimes when I pay too much attention to the internet. watching my city shut down and go quiet has been very surreal, even if my habits mean there really hasn't been much of a change in how I live. just... what a thing to witness, I guess

(I am also. shamefully glad that most dentist appointments are on hold so I don't have to have a cleaning, which are always a big pain for me)

please stay safe and take care, eifie!!

It would seem like this sort of thing shouldn't affect me too much. I don't have a job, and I spend the vast majority of my time sitting at home and being away from people anyway, which is likely why I rarely ever get sick. Yet somehow this managed to affect my daily life surprisingly much, more than I would have expected, though mainly because of the fear and general craziness that's been going on. No one I know has the virus, and chances are I wouldn't die from it if I got it since I'm in my mid-twenties. As far as I know, I don't have any sort of immune system problems. And I can't imagine how much this is affecting people who go out a lot, since it's affecting me despite how little I leave the house.

One of the things that bothered me specifically was the fact that my therapist had to cancel his appointment with me this week. This might not seem like much, but he's literally one of my favorite people, and seeing him is one of the best parts of my week. I always look forward to it, get anxious about missing it, and have OCD rituals related to it (rules like "be extra careful about expiration dates so I don't get food poisoning and miss it" and "don't stay up too late the night before in case I sleep in and miss it"). I was not in a good mood when he emailed me and canceled. Still, I know that it's best that he stays home, as he's 70 years old.

Usually I send him a ten-page paper once a week, and then he reads it before I see him, and we talk about it. Yesterday I emailed him asking if I could go ahead and send a new paper anyway, and he said yes, so I started writing that today. So far I've written about some of the things that have been going on. I have a feeling that I won't get to see him next week either, sadly, but at least there's this.

My dad owns a small upholstery business, which is run out of the house that I live in with my mom and two 19-year-old brothers (but not my dad. It's a bit complicated). My dad came up with two ideas to help out by using his business. He's offering 50% discounts on replacing vinyl seats, since he said cracked vinyl carries germs, and he's offering free delivery so customers can get their furniture without leaving their homes. My dad was worried about not having enough work while all this goes on, but he then said that he does have enough work to last through it. All three employees are still working (well, my mom lives here, so yeah). I have noticed a significant decrease in customers, though some do still come in. I just hope no one who's sick comes here, because the office they go in is part of the house, and the door to the living room is almost always open.

One of the things that bothered me specifically was the fact that my therapist had to cancel his appointment with me this week. This might not seem like much, but he's literally one of my favorite people, and seeing him is one of the best parts of my week. I always look forward to it, get anxious about missing it, and have OCD rituals related to it (rules like "be extra careful about expiration dates so I don't get food poisoning and miss it" and "don't stay up too late the night before in case I sleep in and miss it"). I was not in a good mood when he emailed me and canceled. Still, I know that it's best that he stays home, as he's 70 years old.

Usually I send him a ten-page paper once a week, and then he reads it before I see him, and we talk about it. Yesterday I emailed him asking if I could go ahead and send a new paper anyway, and he said yes, so I started writing that today. So far I've written about some of the things that have been going on. I have a feeling that I won't get to see him next week either, sadly, but at least there's this.

Would you be able to talk to your therapist online instead of face-to-face? My therapist has been doing sessions over phone/video chat only unless people have emergencies that require them to come in.

So the governor is now mandating shutdowns, with NASTY repercussions for not cooperating unless your business is “life-sustaining.” Which apparently mine is, cause apparently we count as pesticides???? I don’t understand.

I feel like this categorization slash decision-to-not-close-these will get reconsidered soon. Who knows?

So the governor is now mandating shutdowns, with NASTY repercussions for not cooperating unless your business is “life-sustaining.” Which apparently mine is, cause apparently we count as pesticides???? I don’t understand.

I feel like this categorization slash decision-to-not-close-these will get reconsidered soon. Who knows?
I'm hearing GameStop is gonna stay open regardless of what law enforcement says. Wonder how well that'll go for them...

I'm hearing GameStop is gonna stay open regardless of what law enforcement says. Wonder how well that'll go for them...
I lowkey wonder if it's just the end for them if they have to shut down. So maybe they're just, like, screw it. :P

Or maybe they technically have a legal justification, as electronics stores are still permitted (in Pennsylvania, at least.) That's really stretching it though--obviously, it's meant more for repair and purchase of important equipment than video game consoles.

(EDITED: Removed a story of me being a smug jerk to a person who was reasonably upset about their lifestyle being disrupted!)

Last edited:
I don't think gloating is a good look for this thread, regardless of how privileged or otherwise deserving you consider your targets to be.

Back
Top Bottom