• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Create Stuff & Chill

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
There are a lot of people on this forum who do creative work, so I thought it would be nice to have a general catch-all thread for them to hang out, talk shop, commiserate, all that fun stuff. The idea is for this to be something like the old Obsessive Scribblers club, but not restricted to visual art--whether you do knitting, coding, writing, vidding, etc., it's all welcome here! Feel free to show off your projects (excerpts or progress shots are welcome), ask for advice/critique, vent about difficulties, or discuss whatever you'd like to discuss.

For a start, what are you working on, and how is it going?

I'm currently taking a break from the main line of my fanfic in order to work on something related, which has been fun. I just posted a new chapter, so I have a bit of time before I need to get the next one ready--I say as I realize I actually posted that last chapter close to a week ago already. And I need to revise the next chapter in line in my repost on AO3/my forums and also reply to reviews, aaaaa. But for right now I'm ignoring that, and writing this side story, and it's going pretty well. :)

I’ve been writing a lot lately, and not even original fiction, which has sorta been my wheelhouse for a while; it’s fanfiction, which is wild to me because I’ve been really hesitant to write fic for years (scared of writing canon characters wrong) and suddenly I have all the ideas. It’s magical.

My main project right now is a roleswap of my current major fandom, which is a hell of a project given that it’s a jrpg and literally every minor change means I have to write a lot, but it’s a bucket of fun.

I have so many ideas for Fakemon and a fake region. One region I plan on working on is called Ketsa, ( the name is an intentional misspelling of Aztec, then spelt backwards). Trying to think of starter trio ideas at the moment.

this is a cute thread idea!

recently most of my creative energy has been going into my fanfic—posted on these very forums!—which is kind of depressing since it's been progressing at a snail's pace. i guess i just don't have the time or energy for that stuff anymore, and a lot of the free time i do have i'd rather spend on something mindless like video games, hahaha. but slow progress is better than none!

something else i've been working on idly in class rather than taking notes (oops) is my original worldbuilding project, Auspice! i've been working on this for a looong time so most of you have probably heard about it to some capacity, but basically it's a fantasy setting wherein basically all the animal life is Birds! and Dinosaurs, which of course are Birds. at this point i'm not sure i'm ever going to get an actual story out of this world, but it's a lot of fun to worldbuild for the sake of worldbuilding. my most recently completed project for it is this world map i made, with some really shitty and undescriptive labels on them! i have a lot to learn about mapmaking, but this was pretty fun, and it's certainly a big improvement over the shitty mockup maps i've been using for the past few years.

I have an Ao3, which is straight-up all Fire Emblem fanfic right now and not likely to stop being that anytime soon, unfortunately,

I also have WIPs, oh but several of them... and yep, they're all Fire Emblem as well, because having special interests is hell, and it's true because it rhymes

I also have an ao3! though I haven't written anything in at least a month's time, due to real life being so consistently much

hopefully I can get back to it soon. admittedly 90% of what I want to write is just... fic about destiny lore or destiny ocs. I also have a novel idea that's happening, but at an even slower pace than my fanfic. it is admittedly much easier to just game and make aesthetic boards for everything on pinterest instead,,,

o: Crochet wooloos!? Please do bless us with pictures when you finish them!

I'd love to see Ferret's fakemon, too! And Auspice sounds really cool ^^

I'm in the midst of ADHD hell at the moment, but I really want to draw a bunch of Pokemon emojis so I can put them on a tentative Graphics section on my website. Drawing Pokemon with silly expressions is a strength of mine, after all! Additionally, I have a Nosepass variant I want to write an info page about so I can also make the Nosepass variants section I've been working on public.

nosepass-fire.png
Variants include this feller. They are small and very warm.

Oh man soon I'm gonna have crochet Wooloos to post here. Maybe.

Oh, this I have to see.

something else i've been working on idly in class rather than taking notes (oops) is my original worldbuilding project, Auspice! i've been working on this for a looong time so most of you have probably heard about it to some capacity, but basically it's a fantasy setting wherein basically all the animal life is Birds! and Dinosaurs, which of course are Birds. at this point i'm not sure i'm ever going to get an actual story out of this world, but it's a lot of fun to worldbuild for the sake of worldbuilding.

This is a really cool idea too! Have you posted any of your previous projects for it anywhere? Worldbuilding is a perennial fascination of mine and I'm interested to see what you came up with.

As for me, I kinda just have a lot of half-formed ideas floating around, since most of my creative energy recently has been spent prepping for a D&D campaign that ended up falling through (partly due to lack of interest, partly due to the virus). I'm hoping to find time to dust off one of my old trainerfic ideas sometime soon. It was supposed to be a vaguely dystopian thing set in the near future, but unfortunately about four-fifths of my setting has actually literally become reality since then. Oops.

I've also been working with a couple of friends on revamping our old Animal Crossing fansite, but that's more of a long-term project and we don't really have much to show for it yet. We were hoping to have it finished in time for New Horizons, but it didn't pan out.

Ehe, I seem to have gotten people's hopes up possibly unnecessarily :eek:

So the story is that I saw this crochet Wooloo pattern on Etsy and now I really want to learn to crochet. It sounds fun! So I'm gonna try, soon tm.

il_794xN.2122352478_nq7c.jpg

Hey, everyone! I make... far too many different things, but they include this Pokémon fansite and everything on it, a trainerfic that I started when I was twelve and completed eighteen years later, other assorted fanfics, daily art, rambly commentaries on Breaking Bad, and other assorted nonsense that occurs to me. Overall I can't really survive without making things one way or another.

Currently everything I'm working on is going slowly, but I will get it done damn it.

Excited to see some Wooloo in the near future.

Oh, uh, I make stuff, ability to focus permitting! These days it's mostly digital fanart, the most recent being these belated Pi Day appletun:

7f41b87537ec_Appletun-Pie-800.png

I also make entirely too many unnecessary fakemon, though that's slowed down a bit until I can figure out what I actually want to do with the danged things. I've been putting these guys online for almost 10 years now, which is... kind of scary to think about!

At the moment my other big creative focus is Dungeons & Dragons stuff—I'd love to be able to polish up a campaign setting or few, and to write adventures and homebrew stuff. I like worldbuilding in general, although I also need to get back up to speed with both that and the fic writing and game development I'd also like to be doing, whoops.

Basically I want to do too many things and it's no wonder that none of them ever actually get done!

Man, I kinda feel that crochet wooloo thing... I've wanted a plushie of one of my fakemon for a while now, but as nice as a custom plushie would be they're usually a little out of my price range! I've looked around at a few patterns for plushies of the animal it's based on and keep telling myself that one day I'll tweak one of those patterns a little and make one myself, heh. One day...

Basically I want to do too many things and it's no wonder that none of them ever actually get done!
Ugh, why's it gotta be like that. =/ So many projects, so little time and even less focus...

So my friends and I had originally planned an all-day writing retreat for this Saturday. We moved it to today at 1, which is exciting

I have a couple WIPs that never seem to get anywhere before I scrap and replace them, I'm currently working on a sector for Stars Without Number and some music for a couple ocs

I've decided to make a region based on South Africa. Behold! The Uthingo region!

Uthingo is a Zulu word for "Rainbow", which suits a region based on South Africa quite well.

Professor Baobab will give new Uthingolian Trainers their choice of one from three adorable Pokemon!

Crocacia, the Thorn Croc Pokemon. Its teeth are are very sharp! And if one falls out, this Pokemon's body replaces it within a few days' time.

Pyrazell, the Flame Antelope Pokemon. This Pokemon can run 60 miles per hour within minutes of birth. Its hooves sometimes let out sparks that are very hot!

Lolquid, the Blue Ink Pokemon. When threatened, this Pokemon creates a strange ink that can leave would be predators bursting out laughing!
The early routes of Uthingo have some surprising new Pokemon!

Hyrakurl, the Hyrax Pokemon, is a Normal-type that spends its time in the rocky outcrops of Uthingo. Apparently they share a common ancestor with Donphan.

Chickick, the Leggy Bird Pokemon, is a Flying-type Pokemon that can pummel prey with its talons. Its favorite food is Ekans.

Larvocust, the Hungry Worm Pokemon, is a Bug/Dark type that has been blamed for famines in Uthingo's past. They avoid rotting crops, however.

Uthingo has some regional variants of Pokemon from other regions!

Uthingolian Poochyena is a Ground-type that is known to steal food from Pyroar. The females are a bit more aggressive than the males.

Uthingolian Ekans is a Dragon-type. It lost the ability to produce venom, but makes up for it with brute strength. It evolves into Nothipp.

Uthingolian Glameow is an Electric/Normal-type, well known for its speed and spots. It evolves into Purcheeta.

I like a lot of those ideas so far, KFF! The secretary bird and the hyrax sound like really fun concepts in particular, and I wanna see where lolquid's evolution ends up, heh.

Uthingolian Poochyena is a Ground-type that is known to steal food from Pyroar. The females are a bit more aggressive than the males.

#letpoochyenaandmightyenabehyenas2K20

Back
Top Bottom