• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Death Penalty

Should death penalties be in practice?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • No.

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • Yes, but under certain conditions.

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters
also, wikipedia is not, in fact, a reliable source. Not to mention that the article is covered with quality notifications.

In statistics it says that many, including 3000 people from just one institution, people in the US will be serving long enough to die behind bars.

All criminals sentenced to life must wait 15-35 years, depending on the crime, before applying for parole. And even then, there are people who get denied and then all the people who are not given the option of early release.

The possibly innocent people are dying because jurors found them guilty and a judge sentenced them to death.
Note that they have been listed as possibly innocent.
Wrong kind of why; you're dodging the question again. You answered the cause-and-effect kind of why, but that's tautological and inane; we all know that. I meant (and you know I meant) why as in what justifies this. To make an analogy, I'm asking "Why is my puppy being put down?" and you're answering "Because I said the words 'Put him to sleep' to the vet," instead of something like "He had an incurable disease and if he'd lived he would have been in horrible pain."

Really, this boils down to a very simple question. Given the choice between two solutions to the same problem that are exactly equivalent in every other way, do you go for the one that involves potentially killing innocent people or the one that doesn't?

In statistics it says that many, including 3000 people from just one institution, people in the US will be serving long enough to die behind bars.

All criminals sentenced to life must wait 15-35 years, depending on the crime, before applying for parole. And even then, there are people who get denied and then all the people who are not given the option of early release.

READ THIS.
edited by Alraune because he quoted the wrong one
(also, even though 12 years is only the average of time spent on death row- it is still pretty well established that death row costs more than life sentences

Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.
The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year
this place again)
therefore the time a life sentence actually lasts is still irrelevant
end edit

Wrong kind of why; you're dodging the question again. You answered the cause-and-effect kind of why, but that's tautological and inane; we all know that. I meant (and you know I meant) why as in what justifies this. To make an analogy, I'm asking "Why is my puppy being put down?" and you're answering "Because I said the words 'Put him to sleep' to the vet," instead of something like "He had an incurable disease and if he'd lived he would have been in horrible pain."

Really, this boils down to a very simple question. Given the choice between two solutions to the same problem that are exactly equivalent in every other way, do you go for the one that involves potentially killing innocent people or the one that doesn't?

The one that does, as it has a chance of killing a guilty person that is over 325 times higher.

And I suppose it isn't justified to kill innocents, but it's something I say we have to deal with. And nobody who has been killed has been proven innocent after death yet.

The one that does, as it has a chance of killing a guilty person that is over 325 times higher.

And I suppose it isn't justified to kill innocents, but it's something I say we have to deal with. And nobody who has been killed has been proven innocent after death yet.

Do you see "killing a guilty person" as inherently a good thing?

"just something we have to deal with"? if you think that's okay, then why not let murders go free and just "deal with it"? And of COURSE no one's been proved guilty after death, they're DEAD and the case is CLOSED. There's no reason to probe farther.

Actually yes.

I am not exaggerating when I say that this is the most disturbing thing anyone has ever said to me.

How on earth does this strengthen your position? From what I read of it, this article says "life imprisonment laws are too strict; even people who have been rehabilitated can't be released". Your solution is... kill them before they ever have the chance to be rehabilitated?

So let me get this straight. All other things being equal - no difference in the chance of other people being murdered, no monetary gain, no benefit to society at large - you would still rather have 4992 murderers plus up to eight innocent people dead than nobody dead at all? Your pure desire to see murderers dead, as opposed to kept from hurting anyone ever again by otherwise equivalent means, is so strong that alone makes the deaths of several innocents worth it?

...Well, okay. I guess that's the fundamental moral difference between us. But forgive me for being quite disturbed, and quite reminded of Death Note.

Potentially innocent.
If I knew they WERE innocent, I'd fight to have them saved.
If I knew they were guilty, I would not lift a finger to keep them alive.

Why is it disturbing to want murderers dead?
My own mother believes they should use capital punishment more often.
THoug I have always seen her as a Hitler-type figure. I've even called her a Nazi in front of my friends.

So let me get this straight. All other things being equal - no difference in the chance of other people being murdered, no monetary gain, no benefit to society at large - you would still rather have 4992 murderers plus up to eight innocent people dead than nobody dead at all? Your pure desire to see murderers dead, as opposed to kept from hurting anyone ever again by otherwise equivalent means, is so strong that alone makes the deaths of several innocents worth it?

...Well, okay. I guess that's the fundamental moral difference between us. But forgive me for being quite disturbed, and quite reminded of Death Note.

my point exactly. How is killing an innocent EVER acceptable? And how does killing a murderer make up for it, exactly?

Why is it disturbing to want murderers dead?
... seriously? you have to ask this?

BECAUSE YOU'RE SENTENCING A POTENTIALLY INNOCENT HUMAN BEING TO DEATH. And even if he WASN'T innocent, you're still killing a human being.

Your solution is... kill them before they ever have the chance to be rehabilitated?

I assume you already know my answer, but anyway...
Murderers don't deserve rehabilitation.

AND I REPEAT BUT WITH SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT WORDING:
I want MURDERERS dead, not innocent people. And 0.16% isn't that great of a chance, you know.

EDIT
Yes, PK. A human being who is a murderer.

I want MURDERERS dead, not innocent people. And 0.16% isn't that great of a chance, you know.

EDIT

Will you change your mind the day an innocent person is confirmed to have been executed by the state?

But is getting what you want worth the implications and overall cost of doing so, which affects many more people who don't particularly want that? Seems kind of selfish.

I mean, take myself for example, I'd much rather have that money spent on things that help people, not hurt people, (and there is a several million dollar difference, as I cited earlier) on top of eliminating the chance of an innocent person being executed. So far you haven't adequately explained why the way you want it should be in practice, for any other reason other than you think so.

Little Monster said:
[everything you've said in this thread]

excuse me for popping in here but

jackiechanconfused1.jpg

EDIT

i don't even know where to begin.

Who are you to say they don't deserve rehabilitation? Aren't you the one saying that killing them is a-okay? Isn't that crime they're guilty of? And if there is any chance, any chance at all, of their innocence, it can never be done.

No, it isn't that great a chance, but doing something with any chance at all of killing an innocent person should only be done when there is a very, very, very great benefit to outweigh the risk. For example, most dangerous diseases are quite unlikely to be fatal, but that doesn't mean it's a-okay to go and deliberately infect people with them.

Back
Top Bottom