• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Dictionary Mafia [Night 4]

Ivy Newton

kg*m/s^2
Pronoun
she
In a small, dark room, a boy pulls a dusty dictionary off a shelf. Elsewhere, the town slumbers peacefully.

Role PMs will be sent out in the next hour. Roles are generally slight adaptations of vanilla mafia roles. No talking outside of the thread unless otherwise indicated in your role PM. I reserve the right to add more rules as needed.

2 days for night actions

Last edited:
Re: Dictionary Mafia [Day 1]

chi·mi·chan·ga (n.) a tortilla wrapped around a filling (as of meat) and deep-fried.

The boy flipped aimlessly through the pages of his dictionary, until something caught his eye somewhere in "c" - there was an expanse of white in the middle of a page. He knew there had been a word there once. Curious...

Elsewhere, the clock struck six and the town woke to find a man dead, sprawled on the sidewalk in front of a fountain. There were wet footprints leading away from the fountain and the man was facing towards where the footprints began. It was as if he had pushed someone into the fountain, away from the spot he now lay.

ole_schooler was killed. He was innocent.

2-ish days for discussion and lynching

Making a list of Players and words

Superbird - Defenestrate - falling from window
MelloScreamsKarma - Chuck Norris - Internet meme, actor, Chuk kun du master
Mai - Chtonological - Chronological - Time order
Legendaryseeker99 - Cytokinesis - Splitting of the Cell membrane
Coloursfall - Appoggiatura - a mellodic note
ole_schooler - chimichanga - mexican food
Phantom - Mythopoetize -

Someone finish plox

Well ahead of you, Wargle.

1. Superbird - Defenstrate (throw or eject through window)
2. MSKK - Chicanery (trickery)
3. Mai - Chronological (from earliest to latest)
4. Coloursfall - Appoggiatura (a type of musical ornament)
5. ole_schooler - Chimichanga (as defined in the death post)
6. Phantom - Mythopoetize (presumably, to turn into a creative interpretation, as opposed to factual account)
7. Legendaryseeker99 (the division of a cell's cytoplasm)
8. Effercon - Nascent (emerging)
9. Chief Zackrai - Juxtapose (to place side by side)
10. Mr. Fancy Pants - Xanthoptera ("yellow-winged"; a genus of moths)
11. DarkAura - Meticulous (very precise and catious)
12. Mr. Moon - Vagina (a part of female mammal anatomy, to say nothing else)
13. paul999 - Discombobulated (confused, upset)
14. Squirrel - Divine (holy, OR to foretell)
15. Wargle - Pnuemonoultramicroscopicsilicavolcanoconisosis (lung disease caused by volcanic silica dust)
16. shinyabsol - Antidisestablishmentarianism (a political philosophy opposing the separation of state and church)

Looking at the words, I see 4 suspects:

Defenstrate, Chicanery, Mythopoetize, and Nascent. All of these words seem to have something to do with mafia. For that reason, I am voting Effercon.

Looking at the words, I see 4 suspects:

Defenstrate, Chicanery, Mythopoetize, and Nascent. All of these words seem to have something to do with mafia. For that reason, I am voting Effercon.

On what grounds are you saying tat they 'have something to do with the mafia'. I can't say for the others, but I got a role that we don't want to lose, at least as long as I don't do anything stupid, which I won't.

If the GM just went and made the words that sound mafiaish mafia that would make a terrible game. Nor did anyone go hmmm if I choose this I will be mafia! Unless of course they chose a word like 'kill' 'murder' or 'mafia'. :/

Tenative suspicion toward paul999.

Can we abstain? Gotta love day 1.

If only you knew how hard it was to not pick mafioso as my word...

but long words are fun.

paul999 is definitely suspicious here, but could be newbie inexperience, so being leniant

Even if we were to indulge the possibility that the GM went with whatever sounds more mafia to compose a mafia, what in tarnation makes you think these words specifically are the most mafia out there? Specially when we have a trait commonly found in the elegant criminal, lung disease, outdated political views AND something that sounds totally Italian?

At any rate. Is there anything we might glean from the flavor text? What immediately comes to my mind is Mai, seeing as the clues do imply a chronological order. But that would be quite a tad rash to act on, and, of course, the entire idea would be defenestrated if the GM is too meticulous for this sort of clue, even if delivering it with a side of chicanery wouldn't hurt, specially if she were to mythopoetize. Failing that, however, we are left discombobulated, as we would have no other means of divining a killer for the time being.

Even if we were to indulge the possibility that the GM went with whatever sounds more mafia to compose a mafia, what in tarnation makes you think these words specifically are the most mafia out there? Specially when we have a trait commonly found in the elegant criminal, lung disease, outdated political views AND something that sounds totally Italian?

At any rate. Is there anything we might glean from the flavor text? What immediately comes to my mind is Mai, seeing as the clues do imply a chronological order. But that would be quite a tad rash to act on, and, of course, the entire idea would be defenestrated if the GM is too meticulous for this sort of clue, even if delivering it with a side of chicanery wouldn't hurt, specially if she were to mythopoetize. Failing that, however, we are left discombobulated, as we would have no other means of divining a killer for the time being.
I induct you into the Mafia Hall of Fame sir. That was an amazing post.

I induct you into the Mafia Hall of Fame sir. That was an amazing post.
I second this motion eagerly.

Thirded.

And yes, you have... let's say two abstains. Regarding flavor text, I am attempting to make it at least vaguely relevant, but I suck at doing that and I managed to make things way too complicated for myself (again). So I don't know how useful you'll actually find any of it.

Well, all that praise is certainly divine. I'd say it's, I don't know, as tasty as some chimichanga. I would even compare it to a vagina but that could be juxtaposed by, say, antidisestablishmentarianism in a category of extremely rudimentar things to be speaking.

Anyways.

And yes, you have... let's say two abstains. Regarding flavor text, I am attempting to make it at least vaguely relevant, but I suck at doing that and I managed to make things way too complicated for myself (again). So I don't know how useful you'll actually find any of it.
Meticulous, I suppose. That at least marks the nascent of a possibility -- if not current, at least for a later chronological point. Unless one of you can come up with something, though, it definitely won't be meaning a lot right now.

Incidentally, the only ones of the role words I don't think I can spin into a post while keeping it relatively natural are mine, LS99's and Coloursfall's. Wargle's is more of a may or may not case.

Even if...sounds totally Italian?

At any rate....for the time being.

Ellipses for shortening.

But anyway, you sir, are my favorite.

It is you.

Back to relevance. I'm not sure if we can get anything from flavor, because it could just be flavor. Not trying to speak for Newton, but I know that when I write flavor text I just kind of write it, unless I get a request from the mafia.

I'd have thought that "pushed into a fountain" was closest to Superbird, but there's no evidence of a window, and throwing seems like a bit of a stretch. And after reading Mr. Fancy Pants's post, Mai does seem more likely to be suspicious.
But it's only the first day, and she hasn't posted yet, so I guess time will tell.

I have a funny role. :D
I request that when and if I do die, I would like the name of my role to be revealed. Just the name. xD

... Isn't the name of a role and its function very connected? What would you call a "doctor" or "healer", if not the name of the role that saves the target from death?

Since we're sort of just heaping praise on Metallica right now, that post was hilarious. (I suppose I'm late on that, but whatever.) And looking at it, I see how I would look sort of suspicious! But didn't Newton just say we shouldn't take too many things from the flavortext? I would go with Superbird or Colours' word if forced, however, I doubt this is the way to go about things.

I don't have an opinion on how ole_schooler died, really. Maybe later in the game we'll have a better idea?

Since we're sort of just heaping praise on Metallica right now
Oh, are we? Metallica is an amazing band! I love all their alb-

Oh, right.

Well, anyway. We're on limited abstains, but there's no reason not to use the first one here. Biding for some time always helps town make decisions a bit more informed.

By all means, we should still be seeing who can be matched to the flavor text, but I don't think we ought to really be onto anyone on this early a notice.

Now now, think logically about this for a second. Is there a house or a window anywhere near the fountain. Probably not, so I'd have to have completely inhuman strength to do that. Also, maybe I only throw people out of windows out of self-defense!

That said, I choose to abstain as well.

The thing about abstaining here is that we normally have no evidence on day 1. However, in this game we do have evidence. But since you guys have made very logical points, I am going to change to abstain for the moment. Although I could see antidisestablishmentarianism being an interesting word.

Back
Top Bottom