• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Did You Make Your Avatar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit confused. Why do a lot of you give credit if they use an icon made by someone else but not if they use an icon made from art by someone else?

I personally don't like using images that aren't from, say, official art or a screencap or something. I usually won't even use icons made by other people if they say they're made from someone else's fanart.

I just assume that other people will assume this is from an official trading card and that credit isn't really necessary. :V

My current one, just updated today, is a resized photo I found on Google.
My other one was a cropped TCG card with "Umbreon" on it.
Come to think of it, all my other ones were, too.
I'm going to scan a pic and use it as my avvie... as soon as the dang internet on my computer (using someone elses... :sweatdrop: is fixed, I'm going to do that.
And I'll also reopen my art shop, 'cept a liiiitle more updated... and sophisticated.

I personally don't like using images that aren't from, say, official art or a screencap or something. I usually won't even use icons made by other people if they say they're made from someone else's fanart.

I just assume that other people will assume this is from an official trading card and that credit isn't really necessary. :V
I don't use icons made by other people regardless of if it's a fanart icon simply because people will usually demand credit and I'm not going to list whoever made the icon and leave out the source for the original image. I'd have to list both in order to not feel bad about it and I prefer just keeping track of stuff and listing sources when asked. So!

Do you try to remember what cards you get stuff from?

Do you try to remember what cards you get stuff from?

I am going to assume this is an open question so sorry if it's not~

I try; I own pretty much all the cards I make icons from, or know someone who does, so it's easier to keep track. But sometimes I will use scans of cards I don't have, and then I generally save the entire card image to my computer.

As for this Icon, I just fiddled with the PMD2 Meowth portrait (so cute) so it was coloured like the main series sprite. It's not the best ever but I like it.

This one's a Dark Dragonite card; I don't know the exact set offhand. The illustrator is Nakaoka. I usually have an idea of what card it is. And if it's not a card, I usually know what episode a screencap is from or from what volume/chapter I got a manga scan.

I really wouldn't care if someone took this icon and used it somewhere else without mentioning me. :\ It took me all of five minutes to crop the image in a way I liked it, and it's not like I own the image anyway. There are probably ten different icons on LJ made from this exact image with the creators threatening to go upside your head if you don't credit their mad skillz with cropping and photoshop lighting effects, so why does it even matter?

I personally don't understand why people make icons from stuff that isn't theirs and go ROAR CREDIT ME, but as long as the images used are official and all over the place anyway I don't really mind being like "oh, yeah, ______ did this". Even if its only real purpose is to avoid unnecessary "noooo u takes my icon >:|" drama.

[nod] Unfortunately, I can't usually remember the context for the panels I icon, but oh well. Usually I can remember the general part of the series well enough to find it, at least!

I usually take quite a while with my icons but it's still like ... yeah I didn't do the main thing involved here so if you want to grab it, fine by me I guess!? I mean I probably spent a few hours making sure it is PERFECTLY PRETTY for whatever I am currently doing so usually I want a heads-up but I still didn't draw the pic. I can sort of understand the people who flip out over people snagging icons, but not when it's unattributed fanart. Or fanart they found on 4chan. Wow, dude, you found something on 4chan. That's totally the same as knowing where it comes from.

Indeed.

It annoys me that the general attitude toward using fanart is that if the artist doesn't explicitly say you can't use it on their website / the website is in Japanese and you can't read it / you found it somewhere like 4chan, it's perfectly okay to use. I mean, fanart gets taken and passed around on the internet, and while annoying, there's often little one can do about that besides sign their artwork - but with icons, the signature is getting cropped out and the most the creator of the icon is often saying is "this from fanart". :\

Was just browsing LJ and came across an icon post. This particular person gave credit to the LJ user who took the screencaps they used, but not any of the artists of the fanart they used. :|

Last edited:
Yes ah did. :3 I own an adoptables site called "Kaiuu", and one of the pets is called a "twin dragon". It starts out as two eggs fused together, and as the pet grows, the dragons split apart to become the adult, which is my avatar. One is ice and the other is fire respectively. The twin dragons are the most popular pets on site~

It annoys me that the general attitude toward using fanart is that if the artist doesn't explicitly say you can't use it on their website / the website is in Japanese and you can't read it / you found it somewhere like 4chan, it's perfectly okay to use. I mean, fanart gets taken and passed around on the internet, and while annoying, there's often little one can do about that besides sign their artwork - but with icons, the signature is getting cropped out and the most the creator of the icon is often saying is "this from fanart". :\

Was just browsing LJ and came across an icon post. This particular person gave credit to the LJ user who took the screencaps they used, but not any of the artists of the fanart they used. :|
There is this huge perception in English fandom that Japanese fanartists aren't actually people. Given that Japanese fandom is horrified by just the rampant use of official art rather than people's own artwork, much less the tendency for people to just grab their art and use it without mentioning who drew it, this then leads to all sorts of problems in Japanese fandoms. Which is why most Japanese fanart sites are a pain in the butt to navigate....

You'd think people would at least acknowledge the artists who then put notices in LARGE RED LETTERS in English saying "please don't repost my art or use it for anything", but no.

Number one thing I like about Hetalia fandom is that the moderators of the LJ community are comparatively tough on unattributed fanart. <3

The lugia was from the new artwork.
I added the shoop da whoop lips(I make a new one with a lazer but I'm too lazy to upload it)

I wanna make and animation of it fireing a lazer but I dont know how

No, I didn't, the LJ iconmaker whispyr did. :D And I always put credit where I can, or I feel horribly guilty.

I did. I made it in Photoshop using only blue and Difference and Exclusion brushes. From that, I just randomly scribbled all over the canvas till I got something pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom