• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Doctor Who Club

Well, new doctor is exciting no matter who it is, but Peter Capaldi looks like he'll be amazing! I like that the new doctor will be substantially older than he has been for all of new who, and I can't wait to see where he'll take the role. Still not ginger though...

Also I'm gonna go and rewatch the fires of pompeii and look at his acting to get a bit of a taste, though it probably won't tell much into how he'll do as the doctor. I'm excited!

I love Peter Capaldi this is the best day ever.

Well, new doctor is exciting no matter who it is, but Peter Capaldi looks like he'll be amazing! I like that the new doctor will be substantially older than he has been for all of new who, and I can't wait to see where he'll take the role. Still not ginger though...

Also I'm gonna go and rewatch the fires of pompeii and look at his acting to get a bit of a taste, though it probably won't tell much into how he'll do as the doctor. I'm excited!

Watch Children of Earth. He single handedly makes it the best part of Torchwood (if not the Whoniverse in general.)

Watch Children of Earth. He single handedly makes it the best part of Torchwood (if not the Whoniverse in general.)

Seconded.

I wanted to avoid all news about who was the new Doctor, I wanted it to be a surprise.

Then my best friend texted me, "What do you think of this Peter Capaldi dude being the doctor"

ASDFGHJKL, DAMN IT.

I'm just surprised that an actor that has been in Doctor Who before was chosen to be the Doctor. Yes, it's happened before with companions, Karen/Amy and Martha/Freema and even Gwen. But they became characters and they were able to write off the similarities, i.e. that was Martha's cousin who worked in Torchwood 1, not her.

But this guy was a pretty important character in his episode on Who, plus he was a very very plot relevant character in Children of the Earth, so I wonder what are they going to do with that? Torchwood happens in the same universe as Who, so how are they going to answer how one of the best characters in Torchwood looks/is the Doctor?

All the props to him though, he's a damn good actor, but it just leaves me wondering a bit.

Plus a lot of people are already saying that thank god the Tenth Doctor went back and saved the Twelfth from Pompeii.

EDIT: Just did a little research, apparently I missed that Colin Baker (6) was on the show before becoming the Doctor. SO it has happened before, but it's a different time where everyone is taking the show at face value... at least 'real world' wise.

Last edited:

Yeah, definitely. Whenever someone mentions Children of Earth, his character is almost always the first thing I remember about it.

I haven't seen him in much else that I remember, just that the Fires of Pompeii and those two episodes of the Vicar of Dibley, but despite not having seen him in much else I can tell he's a great actor. He's definitely going to be amazing as the Doctor.

Plus a lot of people are already saying that thank god the Tenth Doctor went back and saved the Twelfth from Pompeii.
He loses his memory, gets saved by himself, invents the word volcano and then regains his memory.

Last edited:

I'm currently nowhere close to Children Of Earth in torchwood, so I guess i've got a lot of watching to do. But yeah, I heard he was in that too, I'll check it out when I get to it.

I've seen a fan theory that says he went back just so he could see Donna again.

I don't watch Doctor Who but as a pleased Scottish person: if you want to see Peter Capaldi being ace, watch The Thick of It and the tie-in movie In The Loop. Even just the movie. He's great at being a completely awful person *w* I love him

I just got into the fandom, and now I feel all fuzzy inside that I saw the Pompeii episode today. Maybe he had a watch, like the Master and the Doctor had?

Also Capaldi is just like Tennant in that he's a lifelong fan of Who (and Scottish!) and Tennant was a brilliant Doctor.

I am highly intrigued by how they're gonna do the whole "BUT HE WAS IN POMPEIIIIIII" thing (but like what if they redo the episode from 12's POV WHAT IF DAVID TENNANT AND CATHERINE TATE RETURN) as well as the obligatory "but what's he gonna be LIKE"

He won me over as soon as he said he missed the call. I'm excited.

He loses his memory, gets saved by himself, invents the word volcano and then regains his memory.

This made me giggle. On the other hand...

I've seen a fan theory that says he went back just so he could see Donna again.

...bad fandom no OW MY HEART

I am highly intrigued by how they're gonna do the whole "BUT HE WAS IN POMPEIIIIIII" thing (but like what if they redo the episode from 12's POV WHAT IF DAVID TENNANT AND CATHERINE TATE RETURN) as well as the obligatory "but what's he gonna be LIKE"

His role in Torchwood was crucial to the story, and pretty freaking epic. How are they going to explain that?

Er, yeah. I really don't see why people think this is a problem. So he's played other people in the Whoniverse. Who cares? They weren't the same person. Why isn't "oh they just happen to look kind of similar" enough of a handwave?

Er, yeah. I really don't see why people think this is a problem. So he's played other people in the Whoniverse. Who cares? They weren't the same person. Why isn't "oh they just happen to look kind of similar" enough of a handwave?

Spatial genetic multiplicity means an echo and repetition of physical traits across a Time Rift.

Spatial genetic multiplicity means an echo and repetition of physical traits across a Time Rift.

Also he was in close enough proximity to the tardis in that episode (not to mention inside of it) that it should account for something. Amy and Rory were able to conceive a half-timelord baby just by spending their wedding night on it, so a doctor looking like one of the people throughout history that he's saved isn't the most far-fetched thing i've ever heard of.

What does everyone think of the rumours about lost episodes they've found?

Not really a Whovian, but wanted to get started on the franchise since it's obviously pretty great. Is it necessary to start at the beginning?

Also, found it worth mentioning that the author of the Inheritance Cycle is a Whovian and makes a reference to the Doctor.

Not really a Whovian, but wanted to get started on the franchise since it's obviously pretty great. Is it necessary to start at the beginning?

If by "beginning" you mean the very first episode from 1963, it's definitely not necessary. Especially due to missing episodes.

If you mean the 2005 modern series first episode, also not necessary but is a much better starting point for someone just getting into the show.
The show does have continuity but most modern series episodes are standalone and can be watched on their own quite easily.

Classic episodes come in serial format, so have collections of 2-6 episodes that go together to make one long story.

sfdebris does a good video on where to start and goes into a few things about the show you might want to know.

-joins in from nowhere-
Has anyone ever heard of Tennantface? It's hilarious.
tumblr_lcrc23rh0c1qag0da.jpg

Back
Top Bottom