• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Doctor Who Club

Alright, so I have a question for all you Whovians.

For those of you who have watched Classic Who, are there any stand-alone episodes that you would recommend? As much as I'd like to watch them in chronological order, most classic episodes were lost from the archives. So, from what is available on Netflix and Amazon Prime, are there any episodes I can watch that would give me a pretty good taste of the classic series?

What do you mean by "stand-alone"? Since classic who had a lot of serials that went on for loads of episodes. Like one of the best ones "Genesis of the Daleks" is six episodes long.
If you don't mind super long stories like that, a lot of them are stand-alone up to the point that the end sometimes had them land somewhere as a teaser for the next one. So in that sense all of the episodes sort of lead on from one another, but not in any important way.

Not sure what's on Netflix though since it doesn't let you see what's available unless you're subscribed (also what's available is different in different countries)

Oh no, I mean serials, not episodes. Anyway, I can just check and tell you what's on Netflix.

They have:
The Aztecs
The Mind Robber
Spearhead from Space
The Three Doctors
The Carnival of Monsters
The Green Death
The Ark in Space
Pyramids of Mars
Horror of Fang Rock
The Ribos Operation
The Pirate Planet
The Androids of Tara
The Power of Kroll
The City of Death
The Leisure Hive
The Visitation
The Caves of Androzani
The Curse of Fenric

Amazon Prime also has:
The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Robots of Death
The Talons of Weng-Chiang
The Armageddon Factor
Earthshock
Vengeance on Varos
Ghost Light

Unless you know of a way to access a more complete collection of serials?

EDIT: On YouTube, I also found:
The Awakening
The Twin Dilemma
Full Circle
State of Decay
The Masque of Mandragora
The Sensorites
Planet of the Spiders

Last edited:
I can't say I've seen many of those. Pyramids of Mars I think was quite good. Ark in Space I remember seeing but I'm not sure if I liked it or if it was just because it's one of the ones Genesis of the Daleks is right next to that's making me think that.

If you can find it (I think I watched it on youtube at some point in the past), The Time Warrior is worth watching simply because it introduces Sarah Jane Smith.

I take it that since nobody else has posted about the latest episode, they everyone found it as meh as I did? It certainly wasn't bad, I just don't see it being particularly memorable.

I liked it D: I thought the episode pulled off the claustrophobic, sealed off from the outside world feel pretty well. Also it was tense and Skaldak (sp?) seemed like an actual threat for a bit? And I like how Clara reacted to the submarine crew dying realistically, not the usual 'oh........ person dead let's the monster' we usually get.

But yeah, the way the TARDIS disappeared, and the way the Ice Warriors just beamed up the sub and saved everyone at the end felt pretty cheap. I dunno, overall I liked that episode? It was pretty fun imo.

Nobody seems to post about episodes unless I do first it seems >:(

I did like last week's episode but to be honest I think that was mainly because it just better than the previous two episodes. I like TARDIS-based episodes so it had that going for it.

Today's episode though was really good.
Good story, fun characters, funny jokes, good hook at the end. The silliest thing about it was being able to stand next to a launching rocket and not get vaporised (and firing a gun next to it wasn't that smart either). I like how they sort of gave enough information for us to work out that Mr. Sweet was a parasite before the reveal, but not enough that we'd work it out that long before the reveal. I definilty expected it to be a good episode as well since the preview from last well looked really promising. Modern Who works best when there's some sort of creepy conspiracy done by individuals under alien influence if you ask me.
Definitely my favourite episode this series (or half of the series, I think) so far.

Also you guys have no idea how difficult it is to live near a lot of the places where it is filmed. What with all the interruptions from my dad being all "That's [location], isn't it?!", and then it's really distracting because that's all you can think about while you're watching it! I noticed next week's episode looks like it was filmed at Castell Coch.

THOMAS THOMAS OH MY GOD

Yeah, I really liked this week's episode. I've been a little disappointed with this series (or half-series, or whatever), mostly I think because the episodes feel a little rushed at the end. Hide was good, I thought. But this is the best one so far, I think. I was cautiously excited about it, because while I love Vastra and Jenny, I also don't think that Jenny's actress is very good, but she was great in this episode. Which was also really very scary.

I guess I'm alone in really disliking this lastest episode.

It was just super cheesy and felt childish (like it was trying to speak to children) and the plot made even less sense than usual in a 'I'm not interested in this' sorta way (like why didn't anyone notice Jenny breaking into the door RIGHT NEXT TO the woman having a fit. Literally. Right next to her. I mean at least tell the woman to move somewhere else before she causes a distraction otherwise she is just bringing the attention RIGHT TO YOU uhg really??). In the beginning it looked like everything might have a sorta cool mystery to it but... nope....... it was just some weird-ass bad looking leech thing attached to her chest. :| what even. And why the name Mr. Sweets am I missing something? I mean is it just cause it sucks on people? Eh. Also the whole reveal with the daughter was lackluster - I thought that would tie into the plot more but it just made her more of a victim?? instead of explaining any of the weird shenanigans that were going on. And the mom's reasoning was nonexistent. ('I'm craaaaazy!!' or something??? which you can only get away with if you think your audience is stupid or doesn't care, or if you at least give some... reason... for the 'crazy' which they didn't.)

Overall I'm just super disappoint with this episode and this season in general. :v

I really, really liked this episode. The mood was great, and all the characters were all cool (the kids weren't the best actors, true), and the setting was atmospheric, and the Cybermen were actually scary. Matt Smith had some fantastic scenes (boy, can that man act), and the only thing is I couldn't take the chess scenes seriously because I recently watched this.

Usually I don't like how usually in the last of the series episodes there's some sort of plot device, and today's "The Doctor's time steam" was no different, but at least it was made somewhat clear what it could do before the resolution that used it was reached. It explained what's up with Clara about as well as I think they could so eh, I dunno.
I don't think the baddies were that good, but they themselves were mainly there to get the plot going rather than actually being a threat I guess.

As for the ending, what does everyone else think? Is he a future Doctor? Was he a regeneration before the first? Was he the first before he got that old? I noticed that when Clara was montaging seeing the different Doctors, I don't think there was any 8. Maybe he's an older version of 8, since that would have been the one that blew up Gallifrey, which could easily be what they were talking about at the end.

Oh, and I guess I'll talk about last week's too!
It was okay. At first I didn't like the Cybermen looked but then I realised that they actually look more like the original Cybermen than ever before. Still not sure if I like that though. I found it silly that they could get electrocuted or shot, upgrade and be fine. Don't the writers know that one of them has to die from being electrocuted/shot and then the rest upgrade? Gosh!

I thought the episode was really well done. The Whispermen were actually genuinely scary at some points, especially when the one jumped through river's image. And I loved the incorporation of Clara into everything that the doctor has ever done, and the call backs to every Doctor. A couple things I'm still wondering though: What state is clara in? what incarnation of The Doctor is John Hurt playing? did river's data ghost die, or is she still in the library's mainframe?

All in all, a wonderful episode, but THE CLIFFHANGER GAHHH

Well. For my money that was the best series ending since... oh, I don't know, possibly of the entire new series. I was absolutely certain they weren't going to actually show us who it was in the final scene and then I recognised John Hurt from his voice and nearly fell off my chair. John Hurt, guys!

Last edited:
To be safe, I've known about waaay to many spoilers for the ending. I knew about Hurt forever.

I agree. Best series finale I think in new Who.

I would comment more but I was squee-ing too much to get that much into details. Though I got the gist of it.

Well folks, this is happening. (Note a tad spoilery)

I'm a bit sad that this is happening. Eleven has grown on me. He hasn't been my favorite, but he was still the Doctor. That's all that matters, is that I associate him as the Doctor. We all sort of saw this coming, but now it's out.

Well I have not officially joined this but I would like to now, if that's alright with you guys.

I love love love love love the Eleventh Doctor. So much. He's so wonderfully whimsical.
Then probably Ten :P

Companions: Amy, if Jack counts then Jack, if not then Clara, then Martha...I wasn't particularly fond of Donna, but I didn't dislike her.

I know I obviously seem so...into the Eleventh Doctor stuff. It's true, I am. My first series were 5 and 6, then I went back and watched 1-4, then I watched 7.

So the Eleventh Doctor was my first Doctor, and maybe that's why I love him so much.

So yup that's me ^_^

Well, I personally have never seen Peter Capaldi (that I'm aware of), so I don't know...but I googled him to see what he looks like, and I guess he could look the part...

That's all I have to say, really.

Back
Top Bottom