• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Donor for life...

Phantom

Uh, I didn't do it.
Have you ever donated blood?

If you do, do you do so regularly? Any interesting experiences with giving blood? What's your blood type?

Also, are you an organ donor?

I give blood a few times a month if possible. Sometimes I can't donate because my iron levels aren't high enough. I donate platelets too, which is a two hour appointment.

Except this last time they sort of screwed up. Had issues getting a decent flow and they kept poking me over and over. I'm left with a huge bruise going halfway down my arm.

Also, blood type? O Positive.

I would donate blood, but I can't, because my partner is a man who has had sex with a man in some capacity at some point in his life post-whichever-year and the Icelandic law on this sort of thing is a ridiculous dinosaur.

I'm an organ donor (or at least I was when I got my first state ID) though it honestly makes me uncomfortable. I can't donate blood though because I can barely handle blood tests.

I would donate blood, but I can't, because my partner is a man who has had sex with a man in some capacity at some point in his life post-whichever-year and the Icelandic law on this sort of thing is a ridiculous dinosaur.

The American law is equally bad, I think.

Anyway, I've donated a couple times before. I try to donate every time the blood truck comes to my university campus but I'm often lacking in iron content. My blood type is A+.

I also am an organ donor.

Last edited:
I've never donated blood. I kind of need it in me.

I'm listed as an organ donor, though!

I think this is a thing in australia too, except only dudes who have had sex with dudes can't give blood, i don't think it extends to their partners.

I haven't given blood/registered as an organ donor because i just haven't gotten around to it yet. I think I'm O+ or something.

I made an appointment to donate tomorrow, but I have had issues with low iron content in the past (in fact, last time I donated about a month ago, my iron *was* the threshold) so I'm hoping it works.

I can't donate in most countries because people in the UK might be carriers for mad cow disease or something idk.

I think in Wales organ donation is opt-out so I'm probably doing that. I was talking to someone in school about the referendum on whether Wales should be devolved more power and she said she was voting "no" only because if they did get the power they'd make it opt-out rather than opt in and she doesn't want to donate organs. I asked why she couldn't just opt out and she said, because she could die on the way to opting out.
I still think it's silly to not want further devolution because of such a specific and personal reason.

Don't know if I'd qualify but I'd be willing to if I do. Not even aware of my blood type in all honesty.

I've donated once; my blood type is A+. My major issue with donating is that I actually never know when the blood people are around. :')

I've donated once; my blood type is A+. My major issue with donating is that I actually never know when the blood people are around. :')

Hmm, the Red Cross has an email system set up so you can know where donation centers are, plus there is probably their actual place too. I think there might even be an app.

Hmm, the Red Cross has an email system set up so you can know where donation centers are, plus there is probably their actual place too. I think there might even be an app.

The more you know! Thanks so much for this! Now I might actually know where to go in future. :')

Yeah I have no idea how it's run in the UK, but here you don't even need an appointment. I mean here, they like if you do, but you can just walk in. Really, donating blood takes less than a half hour if you don't have any issues.

Just be sure to get rest and eat before and after donating!

(I'm donating again next week. :])

I have O- blood, I'm as useful as they get, so once I'm an adult who can do things freely and whatnot I'd like to donate as often as possible :P

I have O- blood, I'm as useful as they get, so once I'm an adult who can do things freely and whatnot I'd like to donate as often as possible :P

O- is pretty rare right... I can't remember what the rarest one is... I think it's AB-? Anywho, take this from another O type, they will be on your ass. ALL THE TIME. As a universal donor you're going to be in high demand.

Like they call me twice a week at least trying to get my blood.

I'm O- also, but because I'm underage the Red Cross is like "No, you need to weigh ten pounds more than you actually do because you're short." They turned me away from a school blood drive. It was incredibly disappointing. 503 days until I'm eighteen and the weight requirement eases up, I guess.

O- is pretty rare right... I can't remember what the rarest one is... I think it's AB-? Anywho, take this from another O type, they will be on your ass. ALL THE TIME. As a universal donor you're going to be in high demand.

Like they call me twice a week at least trying to get my blood.

I think O- is only the third rarest, between an AB and a B. I think.

Back
Top Bottom