• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

DS2 to have rumble stylus? Hells yes.

I don't understand.

Why would you buy the DSI? D: MAtter of fact, why would you buy the DSIXL?

Because I needed a new DS and I didn't have a camera and my DSlite was functional enough to play GBA stuff and trade with myself, etc.

DSi XL is really tempting because really effing huge DS yes.

Dude, DSi like blows the DSlite away. And, to be completely honest, I love screwing around with all of the little additions they made. DSiSound is sooo much fun, plus it has a shop(yay Dr. Mario), a camera, and even a drawing application that(though limited) is rather nifty to have on the go.

Plus it has better screens and speakers. The only thing the DSlite does even remotely better than the DSi is the GBA slot, and, well, let's face it. Most consumers today aren't going to be playing many GBA games, and Nintendo already has released...5 seperate systems that can play GBA games, each of which are relatively easy to find cheap.

And if anybody got rid of their SP to buy a DS, then WTH. The SP is great for both GBA and GB/GBC gaming. Who would want to get rid of that?

Why, how would that improve it?

Hi, not everyone is right-handed. That's how
Although I have to admit most DS developers have been good about left-handed options, Nintendo could offer a somewhat mirrored version to go along with it. but hey, pipe dreams, gods knows 10% or whatever the number is isn't going to win against the 90% of righties world wide. l: This is why I had to play a world-flipped Twilight Princess. They even ruined the one left-handed character, fuckin' 'Tendo.

So anyway, yeah. New DS'. I still use my old dinosaur of the original, mixed in with my mum's DSlite. l: There's just no point, so they throw in a couple little applications and tack on another £100 a pop for the same system they've released thrice already.
Frankly, anything this DSi can do, sans the crappy cameras, I can do with a DS Flashcart. Oh yeah, you can't use Flashcarts on the DSi, because Nintendo doesn't realise oh hey they aren't automatically used for illegal games! Derp better stop dem pirates.

Hi, not everyone is right-handed. That's how
Although I have to admit most DS developers have been good about left-handed options, Nintendo could offer a somewhat mirrored version to go along with it. but hey, pipe dreams, gods knows 10% or whatever the number is isn't going to win against the 90% of righties world wide. l: This is why I had to play a world-flipped Twilight Princess. They even ruined the one left-handed character, fuckin' 'Tendo.

That's why I just stuck to playing the 'Cube version. The original :D

So anyway, yeah. New DS'. I still use my old dinosaur of the original, mixed in with my mum's DSlite. l: There's just no point, so they throw in a couple little applications and tack on another £100 a pop for the same system they've released thrice already.
Frankly, anything this DSi can do, sans the crappy cameras, I can do with a DS Flashcart. Oh yeah, you can't use Flashcarts on the DSi, because Nintendo doesn't realise oh hey they aren't automatically used for illegal games! Derp better stop dem pirates.

YUS someone else that uses that fatass of a DS 8D Mine's been going since '04 and still. Not nearly as old as my SNES or PSX though u.u Flashcarts are also nice. But there are a few that actually work with the DSi. I'm still happy with R4 and Cyclo :D

And that automatically makes the DSi bad somehow?

The DSi is an absolute IMPROVEMENT over the DS. It is exactly what the DS should've been from the first place. Yes, even minus the GBA slot. That thing was absolutely unnecessary, and don't go "lol Pokemon" because you can, between the 4th Gen games alone, get every Pokemon in existence, with the obvious exception of the Gen 5 mons. :/

Although I will agree them releasing an XL version is kinda ridiculous.

The DSi is an absolute IMPROVEMENT over the DS. It is exactly what the DS should've been from the first place. Yes, even minus the GBA slot. That thing was absolutely unnecessary, and don't go "lol Pokemon" because you can, between the 4th Gen games alone, get every Pokemon in existence, with the obvious exception of the Gen 5 mons. :/

it's just a waste of money when it gets right down to iy though; The one reason anyone would get a DS is to play the games. If a DSi is the first you're getting, then okay, but if you've already got a DS, even a phat, that raises the question: why spend your money on something that works wxactly the same way as what you already have? There's no point in buying it, unless you're one of those people who absolutely have to have fifteen of the same gaming system.

And if anybody got rid of their SP to buy a DS, then WTH. The SP is great for both GBA and GB/GBC gaming. Who would want to get rid of that?

what the fuck are you talking about, dude?

here's an idea: maybe they should make the system right the first time and not release a whole bunch more

That thing was absolutely unnecessary, and don't go "lol Pokemon" because you can, between the 4th Gen games alone, get every Pokemon in existence, with the obvious exception of the Gen 5 mons. :/

The Regis are only obtainable through the use of a special event Regigigas, requiring R/S/E for all those who missed the event, I believe.

I should also point out that the lack of a GBA slot on later DS incarnations makes Guitar Hero unplayable as well.

Also, I should point out that I've had my DS lite for over two years now and I would prefer to use it and its GBA slot than to waste 100 bucks on a whole new DS version when I have a perfectly usable one and there's no specific features that I want on any later versions. The DSi having more generally useful features doesn't mean every single player is going to like the new features and appreciate the lack of old features.

I would appreciate it if you would shut the fuck up about how newer incarnations are better than the first DS or the lite, because it almost feels like I'm being insulted for preferring my lite.

Pokémon is the least of my concerns. l: There was no reason to remove the GBA slot. Guess what, I have had a GBA SP or the like, so when I got a DS I was able to play into a whole library of Advance games I had missed. I still play more than a few GBA games. FFTA, Megaman Battle Network, a handful of Metroid titles, you name it. The DSi is a crock, its 'upgrades' are unneeded and can be patched with a flashcart, again, sans the cameras, which.. why do you need, anyway? If you want to shell your money for a technically less capable system every few months be my guest, but drop the elitist attitude, Nintendo is blatantly cash cowing the crap out of the thing.

The DSi is a crock, its 'upgrades' are unneeded and can be patched with a flashcart, again, sans the cameras, which.. why do you need, anyway? If you want to shell your money for a technically less capable system every few months be my guest, but drop the elitist attitude, Nintendo is blatantly cash cowing the crap out of the thing.

Flash cart is a bad argument since you're not "supposed" to be using them anyway. Also, the DSi has a far superior button config than the DS lite and can adjust screen brightness ingame.

The DSi is a crock, its 'upgrades' are unneeded and can be patched with a flashcart, again, sans the cameras, which.. why do you need, anyway? If you want to shell your money for a technically less capable system every few months be my guest, but drop the elitist attitude, Nintendo is blatantly cash cowing the crap out of the thing.

Flash cart is a bad argument since you're not "supposed" to be using them anyway. Also, the DSi has a far superior button config than the DS lite and can adjust screen brightness ingame.

It's still a valid argument =/

Those are things only the ridiculously picky people would worry about though. Not your average gamer. It's otherwise exactly the same with a few unnecessary additions, and an even more unnecessary price raise. And as far as I know, DSi's button config is the same SNES layout? Why would it change?

The Regis are only obtainable through the use of a special event Regigigas, requiring R/S/E for all those who missed the event, I believe.

Kay, forgot this, but Nintendo sorta expects people to go to events anyways so.

I should also point out that the lack of a GBA slot on later DS incarnations makes Guitar Hero unplayable as well.

I didn't even get why it was needed for Guitar Hero.

Also, I should point out that I've had my DS lite for over two years now and I would prefer to use it and its GBA slot than to waste 100 bucks on a whole new DS version when I have a perfectly usable one and there's no specific features that I want on any later versions. The DSi having more generally useful features doesn't mean every single player is going to like the new features and appreciate the lack of old features.

Did I ever say you had to get the new DS? I'm just saying that most of the arguements against the DSi are rather...unwarranted.

I would appreciate it if you would shut the fuck up about how newer incarnations are better than the first DS or the lite, because it almost feels like I'm being insulted for preferring my lite.

Again...I never said you had to get the DSi.

it's just a waste of money when it gets right down to iy though; The one reason anyone would get a DS is to play the games. If a DSi is the first you're getting, then okay, but if you've already got a DS, even a phat, that raises the question: why spend your money on something that works wxactly the same way as what you already have? There's no point in buying it, unless you're one of those people who absolutely have to have fifteen of the same gaming system.

That just sounds like you are over generallizing me. Yes, I am a complete whore when it comes to Nintendo, but the only reason I even got the Lite in the first place was to replace my broken Phat. I only got the DSi because I like the new features. If it lacked them and was just "DS Lite cept smaller and brighter screens" than I wouldn't have considered it.

here's an idea: maybe they should make the system right the first time and not release a whole bunch more

Apple should stop releasing new iPod upgrades. Microsoft should stop releasing operating systems that are going to bug up. Microsoft should've had a better hard drive in the 360 to begin with. The giant brick of a PS3 should've been released as a smaller system. Sony shouldn't make multiple versions of the PSP that only change size and screen quality.

Yeah, I can play that game too. :/

The DSi is a crock, its 'upgrades' are unneeded and can be patched with a flashcart, again, sans the cameras, which.. why do you need, anyway?

Does it matter if it's upgrades were unneeded? Most of them are actually enjoyable, which can't be said about the Wii's many channels. Plus having a shop is really nice.

And why would I have a flash cart just to play around with music on my DS? If I was to get one, I'd go the whole way and put ROMs on it. Which, I actually do have one, but my Micro SD card reader refuses to work anymore so yeah.

If you want to shell your money for a technically less capable system every few months be my guest, but drop the elitist attitude, Nintendo is blatantly cash cowing the crap out of the thing.

The DSi received a hardware upgrade. Nintendo could easily release a game for the DSi that can take advantage of its better hardware. But I realize that the "less capable system bit" applies to the GBA slot(or lack of), which, if you are a gamer, you should already have a DS Lite or GBA/SP(and if you are raging over the DSi for lacking it, then why complain? Just don't buy the damn thing!), or, if you are a casual consumer(which is Nintendo's main target with the DSi, like with the Wii), you wouldn't really care for the GBA slot.

And again, even though I'm a Nintendo fan, I don't shell out money simply because it is an rehash(essentially what the DS Lite was). I shell out money if it is actually a legitimate upgrade, which is what the DSi is. And yes, I love the little extra things they put in.

Wow. Really? You are going to complain about Nintendo using it as a cash cow? News flash: You are going to a forum about a franchise that is a giant cash cow. Everything Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft does is intended to make more money out of their cash cows.

And maybe I am being a little elitist, but many of the arguements against the DSi are very groundless.

The shop is pretty meh but some interesting titles are finally starting to surface (hi, Oregon Trail).

And yes, the power switch is a button again (fuck the lite's slide-switch, way too easy to turn off in the pocket or by random swipe of the hand) and the volume adjuster is button-based, too (and also doubles as a brightness adjuster!). They took the best of both the original (power button) and lite (start/select position), so I like the DSi's button config best.

Uh? There's no relegation on flashcart use, on their own they're innocent. Someone just figured out how to it it illegally, as they do everything else. Any of the functions you can mimic which are included on the DSi are completely legit and legal, combined with whatever else it can do.

Also, Yoshi, when did I say 'just' for music. I keep my entire games library on mine, not to mention emulators for older systems ala the NES, SNES, and Genesis, it streamlines the menu pages far more than the standard set up could and has interchangeable applications throughout. Do I really need to explain through all that, though?

And what the fuck dude, gamer =/= having the money to have every system I want. When the DS came out I had just scratched enough together to buy one in the first place, and with that came being able to use the GBA slot. And there are -still- people in that sort of situation.

And by the way, I'm no Nintendo fan. Heh, I can tell you I made a mistake with the Wii. Nintendo has always cash cowed more than the rest, that's why we have crap like Wii Fit being barfed out every month, but this is utterly ridiculous. Now I like the DS as a system, but it's losing ground for me fast itself.
And that 'news flash' rubbish? Seriously? How many people are -actually- here for Pokemon?

Last edited:
And what the fuck dude, gamer =/= having the money to have every system I want. When the DS came out I had just scratched enough together to buy one in the first place, and with that came being able to use the GBA slot. And there are -still- people in that sort of situation.

I concur. Just being a gamer does not mean you have the money to buy every single system and game you want. If that were the case, then I wouldn't constantly be having to worried about paying my own bills =/

BECAUSE A DSI HAS A BADASS WEB BROWSER THAT I AM USING TO POST THIS RIGHT NOW! I doubt I'll go for a DSIXL though; unless I win the DSIXL contest.
R/S/E Remakes would be nice, Emerald was tied with Silver for my favorite version. Whatever, we don't need a DS2 at the moment.
Because I needed a new DS and I didn't have a camera and my DSlite was functional enough to play GBA stuff and trade with myself, etc.
Sorry, I just can't see myself buying a DSlite, then a shitty dsi, then a dsiXL or whatever, and then a "DS2", unless I was actually forced to because Nintendo decides to be a douche and make new game cartridges. :/

Dude, DSi like blows the DSlite away. And, to be completely honest, I love screwing around with all of the little additions they made. DSiSound is sooo much fun, plus it has a shop(yay Dr. Mario), a camera, and even a drawing application that(though limited) is rather nifty to have on the go.

Plus it has better screens and speakers. The only thing the DSlite does even remotely better than the DSi is the GBA slot, and, well, let's face it. Most consumers today aren't going to be playing many GBA games, and Nintendo already has released...5 seperate systems that can play GBA games, each of which are relatively easy to find cheap.

See, I don't care about a "slightly better screen and speakers oh noez". An getting rid of the GBA slot is like adding fuel to the fire.

This.

and this

Those are things only the ridiculously picky people would worry about though. Not your average gamer. It's otherwise exactly the same with a few unnecessary additions, and an even more unnecessary price raise. And as far as I know, DSi's button config is the same SNES layout? Why would it change?
and also this.

Sorry, I just can't see myself buying a DSlite, then a shitty dsi, then a dsiXL or whatever, and then a "DS2", unless I was actually forced to because Nintendo decides to be a douche and make new game cartridges. :/

Way to misread. My DS lite has/had problems. But it is functional enough to play GBA games and trade with myself. The shoulder buttons on the DSi are much less likely to disalign themselves simply based on their redesign and the problem that plagued me most on the lite was the R button malfunctioning.

See, I don't care about a "slightly better screen and speakers oh noez". An getting rid of the GBA slot is like adding fuel to the fire.

Great. I enjoy the better screen/speakers.

Way to misread. My DS lite has/had problems. But it is functional enough to play GBA games and trade with myself. The shoulder buttons on the DSi are much less likely to disalign themselves simply based on their redesign and the problem that plagued me most on the lite was the R button malfunctioning.

Which is why I'm glad the old phat DS is as sturdy as a friggin' tank >D

Great. I enjoy the better screen/speakers.

Awesome. You just spent sixty more dollars just for those.

Back
Top Bottom